Garmin StreetPilot c340 3.5-Inch Portable GPS Navigator
Used & New from: $33.90
battery replacement I am considering buying this unit. But on researching this device, I see is that the battery is not user replaceable. I tried to contact Garmin and they say they can't even say how much it costs to replace the battery, since they never had to even do it (Bad support answer!).

1. Will the unit work even if the battery is dead, just from the car adapter power?
2. Anyone has any feel for how long these batteries would last?
2. How much would it cost to replace the batteries?
asked by Anon on March 1, 2007
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 37 answers
A
The battery in my Garmin C330 is completely depleted, and will not accept a charge. I've tested the unit in various vehicles and with my Garmin USB charger, to no avail. As a consequence of having no battery power, the unit must reset itself every time I restart the car. I've noticed that the time it takes to track satellites has significantly increased since the battery died - sometimes as long as 30 minutes or more, rendering normal operation generally impractical.

I was surprised by the unusually short life of the battery since I've purchased the C330 approximately 18 months ago.
Sick of It All answered on March 12, 2007
Comment | 8 of 8 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
open up the entire discussion forum. Go to the WARRANTY thread. There is an interesting post there from a lady who had her battery replaced free of charge,out of warranty.
Amazon Customer answered on March 1, 2007
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I recently found this article to replace the battery (by the user). But it looks a little complicated!
http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=67938&whichpage=1
Anon answered on March 20, 2007
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
They replace the unit entirely and transfer your maps. They do upgrade the software to the latest before sending it back to you.

It's important because if you have other maps, like me for Europe, you have to call back to get an unlock code for that software.

-L
Lauren Gale answered on June 15, 2007
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Ordinary guy,
Ya, I sent it in yesterday. Cost me $6.50 for shipping. I didn't insure it - hope that wasn't a mistake.
I may get a different unit back than the one I sent in, but I don't care. I didn't have anything saved on it that I can't put back in a few minutes. Plus, someone else did this and got another unit back with UPDATED maps - crossing my fingers.....

TT

PS....some of the guys in another forum were ribbing me for not doing it myself - but at the cost of $8.50 + shipping for the battery and another $20 or so for a soldering iron I figured I'd take the lazy approach. I lose my GPS for 1-2 weeks - no biggie.
Turbo Tony answered on June 14, 2007
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
If you have a dead battery, call Garmin, get an RMA number and ship it back to them. They should fix it or replace it for free!
Also, if your battery dies, the unit will still function with external (car lighter, etc) power. My C340 however, takes a very long time to locate satellites with a dead battery - somehow the battery and antenna are tied together - even with external power supplied? Go figure.

Turbo Tony
Turbo Tony answered on June 13, 2007
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
OG/L:
The tech guy told me over the phone that these were 10-yr batteries (I think he implied that the warranty was 10yrs). So far, Garmin service has been "Berry berry good to me" -sorry, couln't resist.
Lauren, it was your post that I found about returning the unit to Garmin - thanks a WHOLE BUNCH - otherwise I'd be soldering and risking serious damage!

TT

Lauren, as an aside - we're planning a Europe trip for next year - how good are the maps on the C340, how was the installation procedure and what was the cost of the Europe maps? Even if we don't do much driving, the POI database might be worth it.
Oh, and is the TTS in English Jill or can you use,say, German Heidi or something - mite be fun to hear Jill pronounce German/French names tho.
I ask because when you switch the US version to another language, you DO NOT get street names pronounced. I am curious what the European version has as options.
Turbo Tony answered on June 15, 2007

A
Lithium-ion rechargable batteries seem to have a life span of one to three years, in any device, depending on use and the number of recharges.
Interesting that portable navigation devices do not have user replaceable battery packs like cameras and other electronics.
Garmin apparently will repair/replace your dead battery unit free even out of warranty. As long as you don't tinker with it.
Tony, did you return your c340 for repair....yet?
Amazon Customer answered on June 14, 2007

A
Wise choice TT.
This is gonna be a big problem for a lot of us in upcoming months and years and not every do-it-yourselfer is going to be successful in replacing the battery.
Hopefully Garmin will retain it's good customer service policies when they get a flood of dead battery units returned to them.
Keep us posted.
OG
Amazon Customer answered on June 14, 2007

A
Interesting that a lot a C340 users are experiencing dead batteries around the same time frame. Did everone buy theirs 12-18 months ago? Mine lasted around 15 months.

Turbo Tony

PS..What Anon said. Why didn't Garmin design-in a replaceable battery? Too expensive eh boys? They could have made money selling the batteries.
Turbo Tony answered on June 19, 2007
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   Next ›

See all questions about this product