Ya because the 3ds graphics look so much better than the NGP...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 4, 2011 4:27:32 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Feb 9, 2011 8:34:55 AM PST
malingenie says:
That's what everybody thought about the Wii and it printed money. Don't discount Nintendo, this will sell gangbusters.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2011 6:50:23 PM PST
Rampart82 says:
They must be doing something right... Nintendo handhelds are always under-powered, when compared to their competition, yet Nintendo always ends up way on top. There's a reason why every other handheld threw in the towel and Sony wasn't too close of a competitor to the DS, even with it's superior hardware.

I really do hope that Sony is a much closer competitor, to Nintendo, this time around. We as the consumer only end up on top when video game companies compete. Competition drives prices down and the amount of great games up.

Posted on Mar 5, 2011 11:14:31 PM PST
Charles says:
I don't think this person understands how games work. Graphics don't make a game enjoyable. Want the highest resolution graphics ever seen? Go outside. Why don't you? It's not always as fun as playing Super Mario Bros. on the NES.

The fact that Nintendo is a first-party developer has absolutely no bearing on their console. I, personally, am a fan of Nintendo's first party titles; but unfortunately there is a huge influx of third party titles on the 3DS. While I'd rather be playing Ocarina of Time, Star Fox, and Super Mario Bros., someone who does not enjoy Nintendo's first party titles (such as the thread creator) has no room to complain, when the games in development are dominated by the most successful third parties in existence - Konami's Metal Gear Solid, LEGO's Star Wars, Capcom's Street Fighter, Team Ninja's Dead or Alive, etc.

Seeing as how this comment was posted under LEGO Star Wars, it seems the original poster is under the misconception that Nintendo creates every game ever made for their systems. It's an unfortunately fact that this exact game was also released for the PlayStation 3, PSP, PC, and Xbox 360.

Good luck with your NGP. I personally find glasses-free 3D gaming as more experience-enhancing than a touch panel, and I find Super Mario more entertaining that the endless selection of repetitive Call of Duty games. I have enough [and only] first person shooters on my PC. Consoles are my alternative to that, not extension. Nintendo does an outstanding job of providing quality and unmatched gameplay over other gimics. Gameplay enhancements such as graphics are irrelevant when there is little to no gameplay with which to begin. Nintendo first party titles hit the spot, but that's becoming rather off topic.

To each their own. If you prefer a touch panel and graphics over 3D gaming, that's your flavor of the month. Don't pretend it's objective, or that first party titles have anything to do with console standards.

Posted on Mar 20, 2011 4:45:06 AM PDT
Considering I can go back and play Final Fantasy 7 and not cry about the graphics, have currently spent 80 some hours on Pokemon white, and quite often play XBLA games... It's safe to say graphics are not required to make a great gaming experience. Also think about the five largest gaming experiences of the last decade. Nintendo DS, Nintendo Wii, Facebook, iPhone/Android gaming, and World of Warcraft. While none of these are my cup of tea, you can't argue away numbers.

Posted on Mar 26, 2011 12:46:32 PM PDT
A. Schmitt says:
Story > graphics, gameplay > graphic. I love games with great graphics but would choose a game with a better story or gameplay over a game with better graphics.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2011 8:59:43 AM PDT
In reply to malingenie's post... the Nintendo 3DS is not selling well at all in retail stores. All the Walmarts and Targets around here still have full shelves since day one. Even Gamestop had extras that weren't taken up from preorders.

I got one myself but I'm concerned about how well it will actually do. 3D is what drove me to purchase it in the first place but there's too much inconsistency with it. It's got such a narrow "3D window" of viewing and moving the 3DS around disrupts the 3D effect. Movement is encouraged in some games which makes it all the more worse off.

Posted on Mar 31, 2011 5:50:17 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 31, 2011 10:19:50 AM PDT]

Posted on Mar 31, 2011 11:20:49 PM PDT
According to Nintendo, "U.S. day-one sales numbers for Nintendo 3DS were the highest of any Nintendo hand-held system in our history," so I don't understand why some people are under the impression that the 3DS isn't selling well. Just because they planned and stocked stores appropriately rather than having an understocked launch?

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2011 3:39:39 PM PDT
Facelord says:
No need to be a stupid graphics whore, the NGP and 3DS are both great systems. The 3DS will have a decent library by the time the NGP releases, so Sony may have some trouble catching up for the first year or so. If you ignore that, the first year of the 3DS' life is gonna be really, really boring. I just play DS games on my 3DS, it's lighter than my 2004 DS and its screens are much higher-quality.

Visuals aren't everything, I prefer clean visuals to flashy console-style visuals. It's why I'm sticking with my 3DS for now and waiting a few years to get the NGP, the NGP may be a high-quality product with a few great games on day one and proven tech, but I'm not too afraid of making a gamble with the 3DS. The 3D effect may give me extreme headaches, but I've always loved the two-screen setup and folding design, much more than my PSP's widescreen display without any screen protector beyond the clear sticker I use; as I said, Sony uses proven technology and they put the most powerful, most reliable systems on the market, but they're always late to the party and they're usually more expensive. The 3DS may be expensive as heck but I like all the innovation put into it(except the 3D, screw the 3D). Spotpass, Streetpass, Miis, the new and improved OS, the better-than-Wii visuals and higher-quality screens were enough to warrant a purchase from me(I've needed a new handheld since 2008), but I'd rather not have both handhelds; I'm sticking with what I have for now, only getting an NGP when I feel I absolutely need one(and only if the games are cheap!).

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2011 10:28:23 AM PDT
Facelord says:
"While I'd rather be playing Ocarina of Time, Star Fox, and Super Mario Bros., someone who does not enjoy Nintendo's first party titles (such as the thread creator) has no room to complain, when the games in development are dominated by the most successful third parties in existence - Konami's Metal Gear Solid, LEGO's Star Wars, Capcom's Street Fighter, Team Ninja's Dead or Alive, etc."

Funny, I seem to remember every decent 3DS title you listed here being ports, remakes and rehashes. I'm disgusted with Nintendo for releasing Ocarina of Time for $40 without much new content, and basically everything else you listed is a remake or port of a title I've already played the hell out of. Sure, I'd love Metal Gear Solid 3 with tons of new cutscenes, but for $40? And there's no way I'm getting MGS3D if the Peace Walker controls come with it, MGS is best without trying to aim with the face buttons.
Dead or Alive is a nice collection, but it's $40 and I don't like fighting games. Same problems with SSF43D. Lego Star Wars is made with small children in mind, I respect Traveler's Tales quite a bit for that but it doesn't appeal to a hardcore audience at all, just people like my 12 year old brother.

I could go on forever with all my disappointments involving the system, but it all boils down to money. $40 for a handheld game is absurd with all the crappy $1 games on smartphones these days, and I have very low income. The only reason I was able to get a 3DS was by selling thousands of dollars of makeup online and dropping $50 to cover all the rest of the costs. I've just been playing Dragon Quest 9 and Fire Emblem on my 3DS, both are $5 DS games I got at Walmart and Sam's Club. If Nintendo's gonna charge $250 for their new handheld(around $280 after sales tax!), they shouldn't charge $40 for almost every single game on the system as well. That's absurd, and if Nintendo keeps charging full price on its games for half a decade after they release(Twilight Princess costs $50 at most stores, it released in November 2006) I'm just gonna stick with older(and therefore cheaper), third-party games on my 3DS, or just sell the thing online and put the money toward an NGP.

The only 3DS game I'm looking forward to for the next half-year or so is Resident Evil: Mercs, the multiplayer component of RE4 and RE5 released as a $40 handheld game with very few visual downgrades. I already own RE4 and I'm not too interested in any of the NEW gameplay aspects of the game, so I'd basically be playing the game for the online and to have SOMETHING to do on my new 3DS, besides playing DS games and taking it on walks with me. Considering all this and the fact that I AM poor, I'm just gonna wait until that game drops in price. I'll buy Pilotwings Resort if I can get it for $10, $15 maximum; I'm not a fan of Apple's products or smartphone gaming, but if I wanted a game like Pilotwings Resort I could get it on an iPhone for liek $5. That depresses me.

I'm optimistic for the future of the 3DS, but only if these damn publishers will stop charging $40 for remakes and meh ports. I'd pay $40 for a new 3D Mario platformer if it has over 50 hours of content, single-cart multiplayer minigames and positive reviews, same with a NEW Zelda title on the 3DS or a new Ninja Gaiden title. I own Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time on my N64, though, both are golden, special edition cartridges. I'm fine with playing through those over and over again, I just have to cross my room to do that. To buy Ocarina of Time's remake I'd have to do overtime at my job and eat ramen for a few weeks. Not cool.

I'd say the same thing about the NGP but apparently the NGP's gonna be all about digital distribution. It doesn't look like Nintendo's gonna go that route for its system, and if the PSP's online store is anything to go by the NGP's games are gonna be fairly cheap and they'll probably take a page from Valve and do awesome sales. I can only do retail with my 3DS, a curse and a blessing; I don't have to access an account to download my games(and I don't have to download my games!) but I can't take advantage of dirt-cheap online sales. :<

The new handheld battle(not quite a war, because of the differences in products and their markets) isn't black and white, red vs blue. It's complicated, and there's something here for everyone. I have problems with both sides and I don't have much money to throw around, but there's no way I'm playing games on a smartphone. That's my only real personal rule here.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2011 10:43:59 AM PDT
"if the PSP's online store is anything to go by the NGP's games are gonna be fairly cheap"

LOL, I think you're going to have a rude awakening coming. For one thing, unless you're talking about the Minis and Classics sections, most games on the PSN are not cheap. In fact, the PSN versions of PSP titles often stay around $40 long after the UMD versions have dropped to half that price. In terms of the future, everything I've read projects most NGP titles will retail for $50 a piece, and almost all of the launch titles seem to be ports: Uncharted, Killzone, Hot Shots Golf, Resistance, etc.

I'll still likely pick one up myself because I'm such a sucker for handheld tech, but I'll leave my rose-tinted lenses at home.

Btw, if you haven't tried out Ghost Recon on the 3DS, you're really missing out.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2011 12:29:13 PM PDT
Charles says:
"Funny, I seem to remember every decent 3DS title you listed here being ports, remakes and rehashes."
The Super Mario Bros. game in development is completely unique to the console. The Mario Kart 3DS game in development is going to be new as well. I only listed first-party titles and launch titles. The remakes are the first to be released because they are the easiest to produce - the majority of the work is already done. You should really look at the list of 3DS in development. Most are new games, not remakes. As is the case with any console, the majority of games will be new games and not remakes. I don't see why you seem to imply that the 3DS is just a console for remakes, as there is no reason to even mention remakes if you aren't making that implication. Remakes exist for every console, and they are released early for every console. What exactly is your point? People buy them, which is why developers create them. They take less time to create, which is why they come out so early. You are upset with the fact that it is possible to make a remake faster than a completely new title? Because that has nothing to do with the 3DS.

"I could go on forever with all my disappointments involving the system"
You haven't even mentioned the system. You have mentioned the games.

"I've just been playing Dragon Quest 9 and Fire Emblem on my 3DS, both are $5 DS games I got at Walmart and Sam's Club."
Dragon Quest IX:
Amazon (regular): $35
Amazon (sale): $16
Walmart (regular): $20
Walmart (sale): $12

Fire Emblem:
Amazon: $30
Walmart: $30

If you got these games for $5 at Walmart, you certainly got a great deal; but they are not $5 games. That is also beside the point that Fire Emblem is over two years old. Dragon Quest IX is almost a year old. You are comparing their prices to games that came out a month or two ago. Do you really not see the fallacy in the comparison?

New DS games cost $30 on average. New 3DS games cost $40, contain more content, and better graphics. That is a perfectly fair price for a better quality game. Not all games are better quality, and the same can be said for many games on any console. Many DS games are cheaply made, but still $30. The same can and will be said for many games on the 3DS, as it is also for the 360, the PS3, and the Wii. But the quality games of the 3DS console are certainly worth $10 more than the quality games of the DS.

"they shouldn't charge $40 for almost every single game on the system as well. That's absurd, and if Nintendo keeps charging full price on its games for half a decade after they release"
How old are you? Do you really not understand how store pricing works? This needs to be broken down into two sections:
1) Third Party Titles
Nintendo does not determine the prices of third party titles. Third parties do. They can charge whatever they want to charge. Nintendo does not create every game that comes out for a Nintendo console, so what would make you think they determine the prices for them?

2) Walmart
"Twilight Princess costs $50 at most stores, it released in November 2006"
Stop shopping at Walmart. They have a policy of not lowering the cost of games, no matter how old they are. Case in point: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess costs $28 on Amazon.
Like third parties, stores can charge whatever they want to charge. Nintendo does NOT determine how much Ocarina of Time will cost in stores. The fact that you don't already know this leads me to believe that you are rather young, as your post is filled with a ton of misconceptions about how the video game industry works. This is unfortunate, because you are getting the wrong impression of Nintendo, and you will be equally as disappointed when the NGP comes out, and you find the exact same things to be happening with games on it.
I refuse to buy games at Walmart, even new releases, solely because of their policy to never decrease the cost of games sold in their stores. They are deliberately taking advantage of their customers by selling outdated games at full price - games that cost half as much elsewhere (see: the Twilight Princess link). This is something that Walmart is doing, not Nintendo. Your accusation that this is Nintendo's policy is entirely false. You will find that Walmart does this for every game for every console they have in stock. I believe their policy stops for games that haven't sold in years. They do have a bargain bin of games, but they are only the cheaply made, third party games that aren't even worth the discounted price.

"if I wanted a game like Pilotwings Resort I could get it on an iPhone for liek $5. That depresses me."
You couldn't. The reason games on the iPhones are cheaper is because they are smaller and take less development time and cost to produce. The graphics capabilities of the iPhones are much more limited, as is the processor and gaming capabilities. This shouldn't even require an explanation. You are essentially saying, "If Resident Evil 5 were released for the SNES, it would only be $5." It's not possible to run it on a SNES, nor is it possible to run Pilotwings Resort on an iPhone. The iPhone isn't powerful enough. And, believe it or not, it is more expensive to develop Resident Evil 5 and its fancy graphics and gameplay than it is to develop a 2D SNES game or iPhone application - hence the difference in cost. If it cost as much to develop Angry Birds as it did to develop Resident Evil 5, then every game would be the same quality as Resident Evil 5. Why make a cheap 2D application when you can make a high-tech, beautiful, 3D, in-depth game? Because it's cheaper to make. This should be obvious.

"I'm optimistic for the future of the 3DS, but only if these damn publishers will stop charging $40 for remakes and meh ports."
This isn't going to happen. If you don't want to pay that much, don't. As great as Chaos Theory was on the GameCube, I won't be buying the remake on the 3DS. I am not forced to, and it is not worth full-price to me. However, someone who has _never_ played Ocarina of Time, or Chaos Theory, or Star Fox 64, or Rayman 2 may very well get $40 of enjoyment out of the games. The games are made for those people - the ones who have never played them before.

"I'd pay $40 for a new 3D Mario platformer if it has over 50 hours of content, single-cart multiplayer minigames and positive reviews, same with a NEW Zelda title on the 3DS or a new Ninja Gaiden title."
This can be said for any title on any console. This is not anything that should be 3DS specific. How much do you think NGP titles are going to cost? It will easily have a $40 minimum average. You phrase your sentence as if you, or anyone, is willing to fork out $40 for a horrible remake with little to no content, multiplayer, or positive reviews. Such games exist, and do so and will continue to for every console. No one is encouraging anybody else buy them unless they subjectively believe they are worth the price.

"To buy Ocarina of Time's remake I'd have to do overtime at my job and eat ramen for a few weeks. Not cool."
Then don't. Not every game is going to be marketed to you. There are a lot of people who have never played Ocarina of Time. How vain to be upset about how games are developed to the standards of other people.

"It doesn't look like Nintendo's gonna go that route for its system,"
"I can only do retail with my 3DS, a curse and a blessing; I don't have to access an account to download my games(and I don't have to download my games!) but I can't take advantage of dirt-cheap online sales. :<"
Nintendo's e-Shop is scheduled for release on the 6th of June. You can buy games without an account using cards you can buy retail (confirmed), or - presumably - you can order with an account (very likely, I believe the Wii already does this; I don't know if the DSi does, but I wouldn't be surprised). I doubt it will be as extensive as Sony's, since the PSP already supports PS1 emulation, but Nintendo has "gone that route" since the Wii. I highly doubt that every game on the NGP will be download-only, like Steam is. That would be great, but I just don't see a handheld having that much storage or Sony willing to dish out that much bandwidth. You would be limited to a certain amount of games installed at once (a portable hard drive is not going to hold that much) and have to spend an entire day downloading a new title before you could play it, or an old title before you could play it again.

"and if the PSP's online store is anything to go by the NGP's games are gonna be fairly cheap"
The PSP's online store is for ROMs of old games. Not even remakes. If you think new games are going to be fairly cheap because ROMs of old games are cheap, you will be disappointed.

"and they'll probably take a page from Valve and do awesome sales."
I wouldn't bet on it. Valve is the leading games provider for a reason. Sony, also an online games provider, is not even a close competitor. Just because they release a new console doesn't mean this will change.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2011 7:41:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 17, 2011 8:23:24 PM PDT
Facelord says:
""I could go on forever with all my disappointments involving the system"
You haven't even mentioned the system. You have mentioned the games."
Alright, the narrow 3D sweet spot is BS, the placement of the stylus isn't anywhere near as comfy as on the original DS, the 3D effect gives me extreme headaches after less than five minutes of play(headaches that don't go away for days), Nintendo hasn't said anything about connecting your Wii, 3DS and DSi eShop accounts, they still aren't offering N64 emulation even though PS1 emulation's been available for the PSP for quite a while, it looks like Nintendo's spending way too much time 'retooling' their older games to add the 3D effect when the 3D effect doesn't do much for 2D games anyways(I just want the SNES games I bought through WiiWare on my 3DS, is that really so much to ask for?), having an analog stick on the left side and not the right didn't work out very well for the PSP and it looks like it won't for the 3DS, the placement of the D-pad ruins games like Pokemon for me, the battery in the thing only lasts 3 to 5 hours, the start, select and home buttons are a bit awkward, the screens are pretty low-resolution by 2011 standards, the system's a fingerprint magnet, the headphone port is in the worst place possible, the 3D effect will never add anything substantial to gameplay, and it looks like Nintendo isn't gonna let developers release their retail titles through the 3DS eShop(I hope they prove me wrong there). Oh yes, and AR games work really poorly on the 3DS, the framerate's terrible in every AR game that I've played(with 3D off, even!), moving the system around so much in AR games kinda ruins the 3D effect and the AR games currently on the system look like ass. There's a reason I didn't mention the problems I have with the hardware, I was focused on the software.

""they shouldn't charge $40 for almost every single game on the system as well. That's absurd, and if Nintendo keeps charging full price on its games for half a decade after they release"
How old are you? Do you really not understand how store pricing works? This needs to be broken down into two sections:
1) Third Party Titles
Nintendo does not determine the prices of third party titles. Third parties do. They can charge whatever they want to charge. Nintendo does not create every game that comes out for a Nintendo console, so what would make you think they determine the prices for them?"

You're a patronising, nitpicking imbecile. Nintendo sets suggested retail prices for its games and stores almost always keep to them. Nintendo's first-party titles usually cost full price years after they release. Mario Kart DS released in 2005 or 2006 and still costs $35 at most stores I'd wanna buy it from(going by my memory here, not today's pricing because I DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE GAME AND REFUSE TO GET UNIMPORTANT DETAILS DOWN FOR YOUR SAKE). I know how the game market works, I search around for the best deals I can find on any game that I get and wait months or even years until the prices are acceptable by my poorpeople standards.

Saying that I only shop at Walmart for my games is idiotic, it just happens to be the store I got those two nice deals from. I made a good point and, again, you're nitpicking and making untrue statements with that.

"If you got these games for $5 at Walmart, you certainly got a great deal; but they are not $5 games. That is also beside the point that Fire Emblem is over two years old. Dragon Quest IX is almost a year old. You are comparing their prices to games that came out a month or two ago. Do you really not see the fallacy in the comparison?"
I'm saying that buying a 3DS now only to get shafted by the lack of worthwhile titles isn't a good choice when there are so many good games available on the DS right now that are dropping in price pretty rapidly. I'm going by the prices of Walmart, Target, Gamestop, Game eXchange, Hastings, and basically every other store I've visited in the past five years that sells video games. Niiilitpiiiiiickerrrrrrr

Stupidly assuming that I don't know that Nintendo does not set the prices of third-party games on its systems is cute, but it only makes you look stupid. I never said that Nintendo sets the prices of games on its system, I was trying to say that it set the precedent through its own titles and developers followed suit WITHOUT having to type all of that out. I stupidly assume that people who read my posts can think for themselves without forcing me to write out, in detail, every single thought I have on the subject I am making a post about. Ahem.

The "point" you made about Pilotwings Resort goes along with that thing I said about you not thinking for yourself and beinganitpickingidiot. Pilotwings Resort is, from what I've seen, a very bland and low-content game. I'd say the DS and PSP are able to handle a game with very similar visuals, only with some muddier textures and visible pixellated textures. I'm sure a fairly untalented iPhone game development studio could remake Pilotwings Resort with a different name and sliiiiightly different visuals, release it at $5 and give me the same amount of content at a similar level of quality. I mentioned Pilotwings Resort to show that Nintendo has done a pretty disappointing job of getting gamers to want their new handheld through their own first-party titles.

I find it funny that you'd say that Mario Kart 3DS is gonna be a new title, it's probably going to be basically the same as Mario Kart Wii only maybe with a few balancing changes(as they've stated before). What you said about remakes is BS as well, if my 12 year old brother who has never played OoT wanted to play through the game HE COULD CROSS MY ROOM AND PLAY IT FOR FREE. He could also buy it for $10 on his Wii. HE COULD ALSO BE ONE OF THE MILLIONS UPON MILLIONS OF GAMERS WHO HAVE PLAYED THE GAME TO COMPLETION, the only gamers who haven't played through OoT probably aren't very interested in it.

""I'd pay $40 for a new 3D Mario platformer if it has over 50 hours of content, single-cart multiplayer minigames and positive reviews, same with a NEW Zelda title on the 3DS or a new Ninja Gaiden title."
This can be said for any title on any console. This is not anything that should be 3DS specific. How much do you think NGP titles are going to cost? It will easily have a $40 minimum average. You phrase your sentence as if you, or anyone, is willing to fork out $40 for a horrible remake with little to no content, multiplayer, or positive reviews. Such games exist, and do so and will continue to for every console. No one is encouraging anybody else buy them unless they subjectively believe they are worth the price."

Every game that will release on the 3DS for the next half-year or so(except mayyyyybe Super Mario 3DS) is worth much less than the asking price, I'd put their(by their I do mean EVERY 3DS game that'll release for the next half-year or so) value at about the same level as the average meh iPhone game. When the DS released people were a bit angry at the $35 asking price for new games, and most DS titles released at $30 or less since all that. I'm personally hoping that publishers go down to $35 or $30, I can stomach that much more comfortably than $40. As I said, the games on offer right now don't give much reason to buy the system ESPECIALLY when there are much cheaper alternatives on the market. Unless the average handheld gamer wants a 3DS game so much that they're losing sleep over not playing it, they should just be vultures for older DS and PSP games until they have good reason to hop on the 3DS bandwagon.

""To buy Ocarina of Time's remake I'd have to do overtime at my job and eat ramen for a few weeks. Not cool."
Then don't. Not every game is going to be marketed to you. There are a lot of people who have never played Ocarina of Time. How vain to be upset about how games are developed to the standards of other people."
Vain, my ass.Nintendo's put out some great remakes in the past that give old fans of the game reason to pay up full price(I'm actually just thinking about Super Mario 64 DS and Metroid: Zero Mission here), but Ocarina of Time 3D is a major disappointment. All of the screenshots I've seen and all the videos I've watched for the remake show muddy, muddy textures, and characters without individual fingers. People usually make the argument that Nintendo didn't wanna change the art style, but that really just equates to them being too lazy to outsource the remake to a development studio that isn't afraid of pretty textures AND NEW CONTENT. Every press release about the remake since it was first announced has said nothing about Ocarina of Time 3D featuring any new dungeons. Link's Awakening DX released only a few years after the first version, and it added some new content that hadn't been seen in any other remakes(ahem, Gamecube re-release of OoT with Master Quest thrown in, I'm looking at you here). If I wanted OoT on a handheld I could mod my PSP, but it wouldn't be worth it and I don't really support piracy.
You sure are vain for beating the game already and then wanting to buy the game for some slightly better textures and a glorified higher difficulty mode that's already been available for over 7 years. (See what I did there?)

No one has said anything about retail 3DS titles being released over the 3DS eShop and I'm sure that with Nintendo's past they won't allow it anyways. I do hope that Nintendo allows it in the end, but that doesn't change the fact that they haven't mentioned it even once in any of their press releases. The thing you mentioned about the NGP sure does sound uninformed, Sony's said before that it wants every NGP game to be available on its shop, and that only the biggest titles will get a retail release. The focus is on downloadable games with the NGP, not the case with the 3DS. Sure, I'll have the option of buying the biggest NGP games at retail but not all of them; Sony's been pretty clear that that's what they want.

""and if the PSP's online store is anything to go by the NGP's games are gonna be fairly cheap"
The PSP's online store is for ROMs of old games. Not even remakes. If you think new games are going to be fairly cheap because ROMs of old games are cheap, you will be disappointed."
ROMs of old games AND digital releases of newer titles like Dissidia 2 and God of War: Chains of Olympus are available through the PSN's PSP store. Don't assume that I expect unrealistic things, as well. That's just dumb.

""and they'll probably take a page from Valve and do awesome sales."
I wouldn't bet on it. Valve is the leading games provider for a reason. Sony, also an online games provider, is not even a close competitor. Just because they release a new console doesn't mean this will change."
Not only are Valve and Sony holding each others' hands with Portal 2, but since the NGP is focused on downloadable titles I don't see why it'd surprise you so much that I'd point out the likelihood that Sony will TAKE A PAGE FROM VALVE with their own digital distribution service. Valve doesn't have the option of doing retail PC games and Sony's past and present systems all focus on retail over digital distribution. Use your head.

I can't believe I took the time to respond to every stupid thing that you've said, I'm extremely susceptible to troll bait. I'll be sure to ignore every message to send my way in the future, every response. It sounds like you're very butthurt because I responded to you, it looks like that's the only reason you said anything back to me.
u mad?

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2011 8:00:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 17, 2011 9:05:41 PM PDT
Facelord says:
"LOL, rude awakening" my butt. I'm very familiar with the PSP's digital distribution setup, maybe you never look at the sadly hidden sales section on PSN OR considered the fact that the NGP is focused on digital distribution just as much as retail. I can't remember the name of the sales section and I can't exactly access the PSN through my PSP at the moment, and it sounds a bit over-the-top to provide directions to it online just to prove a point, but basically every week they'd change to a different rotation of games on sale. It's my fault for saying things the way I did, though, I should've pointed out that the NGP is focused on DD along with what I did post. As I've said, they'll probably do sales similar to what Steam, Onlive, Impulse, Gamersgate or any other digital distribution service currently make so much profit off of. If Gabe Newell's words are anything to go by(oh yes, and cold, hard statistics), the better your digital sales are the better your profits will be on whatever's being sold. I've been a Steam gamer for years now and I can see what they're going on about very clearly; I remember reading something about Left 4 Dead selling more copies when it was on sale for $25 over the course of a weekend(I bought it then!) than when it was up for pre-order. Badass, right~? Well I can assume that Sony thinks so as well.

You said that the NGP's biggest games announced so far are ports, but all the ones you listed except Hot Shots Golf are new titles, and Hot Shots Golf is only really as much of a port as Mario Kart 3D is.

Implying that I have "rose-tinted glasses" for the NGP is a bit dumb, I'm just as critical of it as any other system on the market(except the 360, screw that thing). Everything I've said about it goes along with what I've seen of SteamImpulseGamersgateOnlive and all the other digital distribution services I haven't mentioned(like EA's DD service), not out of some idiotic fanboyism. I'm a Nintendo fanboy, if anything at all, but I can't help but beat myself up over getting the 3DS so early. It has a good bit of potential, but I have trouble stomaching $40 for a new title on the system and I won't really be able to play anything good on it for half a year or so. If I had spent $250 on my 3DS I'd try to take it back right now, but I just spent $50 on it after selling thousands of dollars of makeup online. Booyaaaa~
I could still get $250 off a refund through Amazon, but I go back and forth on whether or not I really want to. I love Nintendo, but my experiences with the 3DS so far are really, really disappointing.

I may've said a bunch of negative things about the 3DS in this thread, but that's only because CERTAIN PEOPLE have given it praise it doesn't really deserve. My 3DS is much better than my 2004 DS, but most people didn't own the original system, they bought the DS Lite, DSi or ultrasexy DSi XL. Please don't assume that I dislike Nintendo or something stupid like that, I actually came into this thread to bash OP for saying something so unfounded and graphicswhorish. I'm a minimalist, so visually the 3DS should give me more of what I want on the graphics end than the NGP; food for thought.

Thanks for recommending GR:SW to me, but I'm very familiar with the game. I've had my fill of turn-based strategy games, it's the main genre of games I've played on my DS. Even if it's the best game on the 3DS right now, I'm reaaaally not interested.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  10
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Feb 4, 2011
Latest post:  May 17, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars by LucasArts (Nintendo 3DS)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (94)