The Game has become too simple now. Vanilla WOW was great.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 73 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 7, 2010 11:25:50 PM PST
Anonymous says:
I remember the first day I picked up a free trial cd for Wow in a magazine in 05. I just knew I would love this game.. and I did.

flash forward 5 years later. Blizzard gets bought out by activision..then creativeness that made this game great began to fade away. Not content with the 100's of millions a month they make they decided they needed to shoe horn in as many customers as they can.. So they began to make the game easier..and easier and easier to the point there is no challenge at all and the world that made the game great.. is now just a lobby.

A big part of the game was grouping with people on the server and all heading to the dungeons for the latest adventure.. the arguing back and forth, finding pickups when players dropped out.. now you sit in dalaran.. hit the find dungeon group.. get grouped with people from other servers who you will never see again and could care less about what you think of them or thier play style, run through the instance in 10 min and move on to the next.. over and over.. and crowd control? nah not anymore.. everyone is so overpowered we will just plow through. Alterac valley had huge epic battles in the middle that at times lasted hours, now everyone avoids everyone else and rushes to boss to down him in 5 min. Need to do a quest? don't worry the map will highlight everywhere you need to go EXACTLY so you don't need to think and follow instructions in the text.. wanna spec different then everyone else, nope not any more.. you need to put your points in a specific build they specify that you can't possibly make a mistake on.. wouldn't want you to have to think about your build or anything. travel to the far off trainer for special high end training.. nope dont worry any trainer can train you now, cant keep track of bullets no problem.. lets remove bullets from the game.. couldn't have you need to resource manage or anything.. too hard...

sadly, wow has taken a lets squeeze what we can and not worry about the experience approach... too bad, cause originally it was one of the best MMO's out there. Will I buy this expansion.. sure, just to fly through azeroth one more time (even destoyed).. but by the next expansion.. the game will prob play itself.. and you will just watch like a movie. cause they can't possibly make it any simpler.. people who join now.. lose out on the REAL wow experience.. and thats just sad.

Posted on Nov 8, 2010 8:49:14 AM PST
B. Gusick says:
So, you are complaining that they took out a bunch of things that prevented you from actually playing the game. Now I spend more time in dungeons and doing content as opposed to before where you spent most of your time trying to find people to do said content. I'd much rather spend 5 minutes in the dungeon finder than an hour spamming trade.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2010 10:50:03 AM PST
You have to put this game in perspective. You mention 5 years ago...you realize a game lasting 5 years, especially on the internet, is an accomplishment in itself. It will probably last another 5 years before something really comes out to challenge it and take away all its customers.

They have to keep making changes in order to survive this long and unfortunately you are not going to make everyone happy. I agree and disagree with some of your points. The purists are never going to like the changes but then there are still people that don't like a wild card playoff game in Baseball today either.

Posted on Nov 8, 2010 2:19:08 PM PST
G. Cody says:
Do you remember raiding in Vanilla? Yes, there were some thrilling moments and encounters but do you recall the painfully boring Molten Core, filled with simplistic mechanics made difficult only by the harsh gearchecks and raid management: ie out of combat ressing, elemental resistance, healer rotations, 5 tanks in one encounter, kiting, required pieces of gear (Onyxia Cloak for the Nef fight)

And as for talents, if you wanted to even hope to be remotely effective in a raid or party, your class was one spec and one spec only. There was no such thing as DPS warriors or DPS shaman or DPS Paladins. If you were a Druid, you were healing, end of story.

Fact of the matter is, most of what people look back on nostalgically about Vanilla are oftentimes washing over some of the insanely arbitrary and boring aspects of what the game used to be. Too often people wear them as a mark of accomplishment. You know how people make fun of grandpa because all he does is wear his "uphill in the snow both ways" anecdotes like a badge of courage? Nobody should feel like suffering is cause for giving them elevated status entitlements.

Posted on Nov 8, 2010 2:30:41 PM PST
Anonymous says:
I personally look back fondly on the old 40 man raids. the whole guild working to down a boss and progress.. the raid management and the fact you needed several tanks for one encounter, it made the battles more epic. You worked for your gear and were not handed it. current Wow is still filled with the grind of vanilla, just minus the thinking. thats the problem. Its become even more point and click then it ever was.

Posted on Nov 8, 2010 3:32:26 PM PST
B. Gusick says:
What made 40 man raiding hard had nothing to do with the encounters but rather the difficulty of organizing 40 people. Also, with 40 people you can afford to have some people mess up and you can afford to carry a few people through content. However, as you lower the number of people in the raid you place more and more pressure on each individual member.

40 man raids tested the guilds ability to organize. 25 and 10 man raids test each individual player. And in Cataclysm the 10 man raids are intended to be just as hard as the 25 man raids are. Think Zul Aman compared to SSC and TK. I would contend that ZA was a much harder instance than the other two (excepting Kael and Vashj).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2010 3:42:16 AM PST
Rockhardly says:
"I personally look back fondly on the old 40 man raids. the whole guild working to down a boss and progress.. the raid management and the fact you needed several tanks for one encounter, it made the battles more epic. You worked for your gear and were not handed it. current Wow is still filled with the grind of vanilla, just minus the thinking. thats the problem. Its become even more point and click then it ever was."

Speaking as a WoW vet from 2004, the raid mechanics in Wrath and BC are significantly more involved that with the original. MC was much more "mash these buttons" than anything in BC or Wrath. You're remembering the difficulty of getting a group together, not the difficulty of the game.

People get to spend more time in raid as opposed to more time sitting in a city waiting for the raid. As a result, content goes down faster. Gear is no longer a "spend your weekend trying for one piece and having it ninja'd by a hunter" and now actually gives you something at the end of your 4-6 hour raid night (a small amount of points that require saving over a period of weeks to even get a piece).

Posted on Nov 9, 2010 9:08:36 AM PST
B. Gusick says:
Exactly right, Rock.

For those that disagree I'll try and refresh your memories. In Molten Core a paladin's job was to be a cleanse bot. That and spend most of your time making sure your 5 minute buffs were refreshed on the raid. Note that it took a full minute to buff 40 people with individual buffs. So 20% of your time was spent buffing people. The rest of the time it was spent cleansing. Takes alot of skill to do that...

Posted on Nov 12, 2010 12:48:57 PM PST
If your not happy with WOW change games- I am sure there are new MMO's due for 2011, 2 I can think of right now is DC Online and Star Wars the Old Republic.

Posted on Nov 13, 2010 11:05:05 PM PST
Nostalgia lies to you. I've never understood the mindset of people who enjoy things purely for their difficulty.

If something is hard, and you do it well, I can understand a sense of accomplishment. However, if it can be improved, and I can get more enjoyment if you remove useless timesinks, then why would I dislike that? Skill is something to be proud of. The willingless and availability of time spent on something is most defintely not.

Posted on Nov 14, 2010 4:58:18 PM PST
mieek says:
I agree... definitely too simple... The raids and instances I have done recently will not be memorable experiences. I remember getting together with my group and having to plan how to take done the boss, and do the pulls. I enjoyed the teamwork and the feelings of accomplishment when we were successful... However I love the new dungeon instance party system ... It is very easy to get an instance group now... but the sessions are like going to In and Out Burger... I am already pining for the old days. I quit playing before the release of the Lich King. I returned recently. My current new character is level 42... Maybe I will feel differently about the difficulty level when I reach the level cap. I hope to get the necessary tier armor to play will the "cool kids" :) So hopefully I will be challenged at some point... If not ... I plan to try a PVP server. It seems like that might fit the challenge the current game may be lacking...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2010 5:41:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2010 5:44:53 AM PST
Tried ICC Heroic, yet? There is still plenty of challenge to the game, should you prefer that sort of thing. It'll become even more apparent in Cata with the revival of CC.

Posted on Nov 16, 2010 8:08:45 AM PST
aphex2win says:
don't agree with all of your points, but you are right in the fact that vanilla WoW was truly the best and the game is just stale and boring in its current state. I yearn for the days of old and if the game were anything like what it was back in the day I just might re-activate my subscription. But the new expansion seems to offer nothing good or worthwhile.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2010 10:36:06 AM PST
So aphex2win, imagine if the game never changed, 5 years later Naxx is still the end game raid and the lvl cap was still 60 and tell me how interesting the game would still be? The simple fact of the matter is they had to come out with expansions if the game were to stay alive and continue to make money. Besides, name one MMO in the history of MMO's that hasn't changed from how it was when the game was released.

Posted on Nov 16, 2010 10:40:12 AM PST
Anonymous says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2010 11:09:54 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2010 11:10:26 AM PST
crippling gameplay is strickly a matter of opinion. you have to try and see this from Blizzards point of view, the gameplay they have now got them 12 million subscribers and truck loads of cash, would you change this formula if you were them?

Posted on Nov 16, 2010 11:20:57 AM PST
Anonymous says:
this is interesting in regards to active subscriptions : http://daeity.blogspot.com/2010/08/blizzards-active-subscription-numbers.html

Posted on Nov 16, 2010 11:37:19 AM PST
I'm a believer that a complaining WoW player is a happy WoW player. For better or worse WoW is the best thing going right now in the MMO world. It's natural when you're on top that you will have a bunch of nay sayers out there. I'm not arguing the point that the game has indeed changed, I don't think anyone is, but to say that the game has changed completely and totally for the worse is farfetched IMO. Cata so far is working to bring the old style game play that you referenced. You should be happy with the changes it's bringing to the game.

Posted on Dec 3, 2010 1:07:03 AM PST
cybertext says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 3, 2010 9:38:56 AM PST
What I think you all fail to understand is that your complaining about gameplay doesn't mean jack to them. You are one person out of millions so if you cancel your subscription, Blizzard is still going to release their product and still make a ton of money. Do I agree with all the changes? No, no I certainly do not but that leaves me with two choices, cancel my subscription for good or suck it up and appreciate the changes I do like. Things are destined to evolve over time otherwise they fall by the wayside and become forgotten. You're either onboard or you're not.

Posted on Dec 3, 2010 10:27:00 AM PST
Justin that was a very mature response and I totally agree with everything you said.

Posted on Dec 3, 2010 10:43:36 AM PST
I find it funny, upon going back and reading the OP's post, he complains about how the game now has a feature that helps you with quests; even though there has been a little add-on called "Quest Helper" that has been out for about four years now.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2010 10:52:27 AM PST
Anonymous says:
how is that funny? add ons are third party, not part of the game. you could also open up google and type in the quest name.. and thats just hilarious..

The point is. these are third party work arounds you seek out. not a part of the game. Theres a big difference between wanting to make the game simple for yourself so you seek out an addon (which may wind up hacking your passwords if it happens to be a malicious one) and having the game come simplified for everyone so that you dont even need to read the quest.. just follow the little arrow. theres also been an addon that allows you to level up all your character on autopilot too... from level 1 to 80 without basically doing a thing..we should just add that to the main game too.. wow.. that just has me in stitches.. :)

Posted on Dec 3, 2010 11:59:12 AM PST
Bowlen, please explain to me how in the world hard = good? Everything you're complaining about was a unnecessary difficult part of the game that is made better now and you're upset about it. Your argument makes no sense to me, along with just about everyone else on this thread besides yourself. A "work around" as you put it is a sanctioned part of the game. It seems that you would have me believe that Blizzard knows nothing about user created add-ons and do not permit them to be used in their game. All this goes back to the old saying "work smarter not harder". What are you going to complain about next that makes the game more enjoyable to play, the use of macros?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2010 12:05:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2010 12:21:51 PM PST
I have a simple solution for you, P. Bowlen. It's so incredibly obvious that I'm surprised you made that post in the first place.

Turn off quest objectives from your UI. Woah! They vanished from your map! Blizzard included the ability to turn off the quest tracker for a reason. It's optional. Disable it if you don't like it.

Wow...that sure was easy, wasn't it? You don't have to thank me.
Here's a tissue. Now dry those QQs.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  33
Total posts:  73
Initial post:  Nov 7, 2010
Latest post:  Dec 23, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Expansion Set
World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Expansion Set by Blizzard Entertainment (Windows 2000 / Vista / XP)
3.7 out of 5 stars   (406)