black residue in skillet I recently purchased the skillet. I seasoned it as described in Cook's Illustrated. I wash with warm water only, dry on stove, wipe lightly with oil. If I wipe it, I get black on the paper towel. When does that go away?
asked by M. L Russell on April 11, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 answers
A
You may hear different things from different people. For me, I just wipe the pan with oil until the black residue is gone. Mind you I dont always have left over black residue. Also you can clean the pan with salt an oil.
EC answered on January 5, 2013
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
You either burned something or didn't clean all the bits out when you last used the skillet and the residue burned. You might need to really scrub it to get the residue out after which the skillet will need to be re-seasoned. I use the scrubby side of a nylon sponge if this happens. I try to cook greasy food like bacon or hamburgers after I re-season to make sure that the pan is really well-seasoned before cooking other foods. Once your skillet is well-seasoned, this will rarely happen unless you burn something.
Brett S. Wilson answered on November 5, 2013
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Why did you season a pan that was pre-seasoned? Sounds like you've got too much saturation. Try scrubbing it with an SOS (or other type soapy steel wool) pad. Wipe with paper towel and then dry on stovetop. Hope that helps
Rasmoo answered on November 6, 2013
Comment (1) | 0 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Thanks for posting this. I have the same question...
Ashley answered on September 5, 2012
Comment | 0 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Never. It's a NASTY pan. You're cooking your food in black soot and rust. I've had mine for 7 months, and concluded this is NOT healthy. I'll probably toss it.
I'm not gonna compomise my health for a sh*tty cast iron skillet that was prolly "made in china".
LivinginBeauty answered on November 25, 2012
Comments (4) | 0 of 7 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›