Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 87 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 6, 2009 12:58:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2009 6:10:12 PM PST
E. M. Segall says:
this info that i am going to post will help all sellers out on authenticating if the dvd they bought is a us edition or a bootleg.first if you buy a new dvd it must have a white security strip on the case, if it does not it is either a bootleg or has been resealed.second if you look at the plaY SIDE OF THE DVD,on the inner ring[darker color] a 6 digit number on it. all bootleg dvds have either a 3 digit number[which is the lot number of the dvd] or there is no number. all this info is the real deal because i called disney studios and they told me all this info. i have reported over 10 sellers on both e-bay and amazon for selling bootleg dvds. if you have any questions you can e-mail me ay leemarksegall@verizon.net and i will be glade to answer any questions.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2009 11:47:52 PM PDT
Hituro says:
Actually I spoke with Disney directly today about this same issue. And on the playside of the disc, they said they NEVER write the name of the movie, it should just be a series of codes and bar codes. So if you have a DVD with just the name around the inner ring on the play side, chances are it's fake.

Another thing, I've noticed a lot of pirated movies also have information scratched off on the play side of discs. What's scary too, is they're becoming good at making reproductions of the slip covers too. If any of the image quality looks poor or fuzzy, chances are it's a fake.

Posted on Nov 20, 2009 7:22:49 AM PST
Hello I purchased a copy of Cinderella from Bookcity through Amazon's marketplace and from what I have been told it and read here it is a copy. Does anyone have a true original to tell me what it should say around the hub? I am thinking it is as there is a spelling error on the front of the disc 1 "For technical assistonce Wrong spelling on both disc 1 and 2 - - Could someone direct me to where I can report this ? thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2009 9:49:14 AM PST
E. M. Segall says:
it is very easy to authenticate disney dvds. look on the play side of the dvd on the dark colored ring there is a 6 digit lot number with little boxes around and if your dvd says the title of the movie followed by dv9a then you have a bootleg dvd. do not let anybody else tell you different. you can call disney 800 number and they will tell you the same thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2009 10:29:12 AM PST
Thank you for the quick response - all my dvd says is Cinderella (1) and the dvd logo with the misspelling on the printed dvd I got to wondering. How do we fight this ? Should I contact Amazon ? I don't know if the seller is still in business or not - this is a shame - my IT guy from work said he thought the disc was a single layer copy not a dual layer - Since this was a older release from 2005 would it still have the same information around the ring of the dvd ? thanks for your help

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2009 1:39:38 PM PST
Hituro says:
Yes regardless of if being a duel layer disc, it would still have the code. But honestly I don't think disney released a duel layer disc of Cinderella. I would contact http://amazon.com, and then you can also try the customer service number usually found on the disney DVDs to report the piracy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2009 1:47:33 PM PST
thank you I will contact Amazon and Disney about this

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2009 6:15:56 PM PST
E. M. Segall says:
age does not affect the dvds production. disney never makes a mispelling mistake. remember when you look at the play side of the dvd it must not have the title of the movie on the inner ring and there must be a 6 digit number on it followere by little boxes. you were sold a BOOTLEG DVD. WHAT YOU MUST DO IS FILE A CLAIM WITH AMAZON TELLING THAT THE SELLER LIED TO YOU AND SOLD YOU A BOOTLEG DISNEY DVD. YOU WILL GET ALL YOUR MONEY BACK. GOODLUCK.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2009 9:09:11 PM PST
Thank you all for the help, I contacted Disney and reported the seller. Their store front was down already. Amazon immediately refunded the price of the dvd. I then did as you suggested and reported it to Disney antifraud division - hopefully Disney can track this down and put a stop to the production of these.

Posted on Nov 26, 2009 8:39:32 PM PST
L. Humphrey says:
Obviously bootleggers who deceive consumers are scum...it's a problem with all Disney DVDs, from Lion King to Bill Nye. But has anyone suggested that Disney take a look at the root cause of the problem? Allow consumers to easily purchase the DVDs legally, and this wouldn't be nearly the issue it is. The vault and other measures they go to in order to "protect" their properties only make it more difficult for parents, kids, and teachers to get these films. I've never seen a company be so callous to consumers who seem to love this kind of treatment. It makes me wonder who the real scum is...Disney or the bootleggers?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2009 3:59:47 PM PST
That is very true about Disney. The true cause of this was that I was not able to buy the Disney Cinderella dvd from Disney because of their vault policy. I thought buying through Amazon's marketplace was a legal and safe way to buy dvds that are not released to the public. Disney needs to make their vault a bookshelf and available to the public. This would stop the bootleggers in their tracks as I paid $28.88 for the dvd through Amazon and Disney could of received that money instead . Wake up Disney!

Posted on May 8, 2010 12:45:59 AM PDT
JTSs Service says:
One way to check if a DVD is fake/Asian manufactured is to use a Forensic tool such as EnCase or AccessData FTK. I ran a test using FTK on a fake Bambi, which had a release date of 2005 on back of case. Examining the DVD, showed that the DVD was "created" 1/12/2009. Be cautious, if DVD does not have white security Tape or Buena Vista Stamp, it's probably a fake. If you are unsure, open it up and examine the inner ring of the DVD. See above comments in regards to 6 digit, and movie title.

Posted on May 20, 2010 12:56:57 PM PDT
compsciguy says:
Why does Disney have a "vault" policy anyway? Why must they keep their hidden treasures...well..."hidden"? All other companies sell their movies until stock
runs out...and then they make more! Except limited editions, of course. But with Disney, you might has well call all of their movies limited editions!

Posted on Jul 23, 2010 2:18:08 PM PDT
J. Sheer says:
here another take the DVD turn it upside down...there is a serial number on the bottom of the disc call up the number on the disc...tell them numbers. its they are backwards its a bootleg...
and another BUY the mthe day they come out! there tada

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2010 6:42:37 PM PDT
What do you want for $10.00 ???

A real copy is not in the market anymore, and if someone has one this would be around $40 - $50.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2010 6:43:45 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2010 10:35:18 PM PDT
Daisy says:
I just received Cinderella from a seller in Amazon Marketplace. The dvd did not have the white security strip on it. Do bootleggers copy the cover which is attaced to the plastic box as it looks totally authentic ? I wondered about the lack of the white strip which is how I found this forum. I also received a copy of Wizard of Oz sold by and shipped from Amazon which was also missing the white strip. You mentioned that you reported yours to Amazon and Disney, but one of mine CAME from Amazon ! Any suggestions?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2010 10:38:40 AM PDT
Hituro says:
Yes, Bootleggers can copy box work. I have a copy of Lion king like that. Or what they also do, is buy the box work, and use it for the boot legged copy. On the actual disc ring, there should be a code etched in. This is one main way to tell if a disc is authentic. Or you could also just call Disney and ask them. They have a hotline for that. It's 1-800-723-4763. Call that number and they will ask you questions over the phone to verify if it's authentic or if it's not. Just tell em you bought it off amazon. happens more than you think.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2010 4:32:16 PM PDT
compsciguy says:
oh please...investigative reporting gives us all the low down on dirty scandals and scams. How would you like it if you bought a Disney DVD for your beloved children or grandchildren or other relatives, and it didn't work right because it was a bootleg? Their big gift from you would turn into something very small and disgusting. And judging by your harsh tone, you are probably one of those vendors he/she warned us about! Go figure...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2010 6:05:25 PM PDT
BookBuff9293 says:
Valid point! By this time, I can't get The Little Mermaid, for example, at Wal-Mart, Target, or any bookstore, since the edition was "limited time only." What shenanigans! At this rate, I'll probably have to turn to Amazon, making myself vulnerable to fake copies...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2010 6:08:39 PM PDT
BookBuff9293 says:
Ugh, I know. Do you know if any store sells The Little Mermaid Two-Disc Platinum Edition anymore? The item doesn't show up on Wal-Mart's, Target's, or any bookstore's (Books a Million, Barnes and Noble, Borders) site. It does come up on Best Buy's site, but shipping is dubbed "unavailable" and the item is unavailable at all the locations near me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2010 9:25:47 AM PST
I just received a Lion King DVD bootleg from an Amazon seller. The seller was quick to respond and immediately refunded my money. I have to say how clever these bootleggers are getting. The DVD appeared to be the genuine article, but the laser etching on the inner ring gave it away. No numbers, but it was etched "Lion King." Running a DVD decoder revealed disc two titled as ROBIN HOOD 3.

Posted on Dec 4, 2010 4:08:53 PM PST
Emma says:
Can someone please help me on reporting a amazon seller who is selling several kinds of dvds that are bootleg? Dvds like, DISNEY MOVIES, TV SHOWS SERIES, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2010 7:30:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2010 7:36:15 PM PST
I was a victim of a bootleg disney dvd bought through Amazon marketplace and I contacted Amazon customer service . The seller was already off Amazon but they did back the sale so I did get a refund , that was a few years ago. Their policy may have changed by now . Contact Disney also they vigorously persue bootleg sellers. Any company that has the distribution rights for the tv shows will also be interested. Good luck - it is such a shame that this happens. If Disney and other sellers would make the purchase of the Vaulted disney movies easier then the bootleggers would not have such a willing market.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2010 6:38:44 PM PST
Emily A. Cox says:
Hi, I just ordered a DVD from
expressway

and I am POSITIVE it is bootleg (burnt DVD-R copy). What do I do?? I want to report them

How much trouble can they get in for this??

Also, I threw away the packaging they sent the DVD in so I don't have their address and assume I can't return the item?

I am infuriated these people sent me a bootleg copy and are making money off this practice!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  47
Total posts:  87
Initial post:  Aug 6, 2009
Latest post:  1 day ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 22 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Lion King (Deluxe Collector's Edition) [VHS]
The Lion King (Deluxe Collector's Edition) [VHS] by Jonathan Taylor Thomas (VHS Tape - 1995)
4.6 out of 5 stars (2,343)