Book is too easy on Jimmy Carter bragging about his US Navy service and not how he let (due to military inaction) the pro-Israeli Shah fall and the anti-Israeli Khomeini rise---a book called The Iranian Timebomb shows Carter doing this!!! READ!!!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 18, 2008 12:12:31 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 30, 2009 11:24:32 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2008 11:23:27 PM PDT
First of all the Shah was a brutal dictator who was wildly unpopular with the Iranian people. What should Carter have done? Send in our troops to prop him up? Let's use some common sense shall we.
As for adultery being a "far far less moral crime than homosexuality" I would like to know how the "Wise One" knows this.
Also in the chapter in Romans homosexuality is not refered to an an "abomination." It is refered to as "indecent." You may think that it is a minor point but it is not. A dirty joke is "indecent." An "abomination" is something like mass murder.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2008 3:28:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 19, 2008 3:31:50 PM PDT
GGreg says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2008 6:54:24 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 30, 2009 7:54:38 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2008 2:12:14 PM PDT
H. Price says:
This is simply amazing. Someone defending a tyrant and pervert like the Shah. He was installed by the CIA in a coup against a democratically elected leader, Mossadegh, and had a brutal secret police called SAVAK that engaged in torture and murder. They went after anyone who opposed the Shah's policies. He was a tool of Big Oil and the Israelis and did nothing for his own people. Iran has been infiltrated by Arab muslims? That's a hoot. Engaging in decadence, brutality and totally embracing the western "culture" such as mini-skirts and supporting the enemy of Islam (as they perceive it) is what got him overthrown. In my opinion Carter is unfairly maligned on this issue (and others), and let's not even get into the Reagan/Bush deal with Khomeini's people to keep the hostages until after the election in 1980 (October Surprise).

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2008 1:22:39 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2009 2:40:21 PM PDT
the_clangers says:
But the difference between us Democrats and the rest of y'all is that we know that there are hypocrites in our party. You non progressive/liberals are actually convinced that you are morally correct and truly speak truth. Or as my dad used to say... You think your poo doesn't smell.
Oddly enough, this makes you hugely hypocritical. Sorry, but that is the way it is.
Most of us are honest and admit our flaws. But the liars will be liars.

Posted on Sep 6, 2009 7:08:30 AM PDT
The Iranians got scr*wed with both the Shah and the Islamic Fascist. They are both different situations; but both had their evil secret police. Persecution by SAVIK in a mini-skirt or by Islamist in a veil is still persecution.

Carter did mess up. He tried hard to be a moral man. I'd rather have the president having a bacchanalia in his office and smoking weed doing a good job than a good man who for whatever reason cannot lead successfully. However if the weed smoking president went after pot growers like mad, I would be very irritated.

The sad thing is that no matter what we do we are ruled and influenced by human beings. They all have their flaws and sins. Even religious leaders interpret their books in a very biased way based on their humanity.

I like reading Greenwald. I don't take everything for the perfect truth. There may be more to the story than he is aware of. He certainly pushes his POV.

How the heck can we get anything done with all this bickering and name calling? People are sacrificing this country in the name of Party Power. Yes, I'm talking about the Right, especially the religious right. In this land of the free we have the Patriot Act, people afraid to come out as atheist or agnostics - much less get elected to high office as one, folks are nervous to be openly Muslims or Siks in certain settings, people cry for rights on one hand while they actively fight the rights of others on the other. After all, if you aren't like me how can you be an American and why do you deserve to have rights like mine? We live in a country where big biz, especially agriculture is openly taking advantage of illegal labor. They're paying low wages to illegals, who cannot complain or get legal protection, have prevented both reform of guest workers and reduction of illegal aliens. These same Agri-biz folks get tons of subsidies from the government they influence thru their donations. Meanwhile, back on the family farm, "Oh wait, they're an endangered species."
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Apr 18, 2008
Latest post:  Sep 6, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Great American Hypocrites: Toppling the Big Myths of Republican Politics
Great American Hypocrites: Toppling the Big Myths of Republican Politics by Glenn Greenwald (Hardcover - April 15, 2008)
4.1 out of 5 stars   (46)