- Model Number: BV-980H
- Model Name: BV-980H
brite-View BV-980H Digital HD DVR (for Antenna and clear QAM use) ,with 320GB HDD Built-in, EPG Supported,Time Shifting - Black
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- Enter your model number above to make sure this fits.
- Brite-view, BV-980H is designed for recording over-the-air (OTA) digital TV with 320GB HDD built-in & EPG
- 320GB HDD built-in that can record up to 450 hours of SD content or up to 39 hours of HD contents
- EPG (Electronic Program Guide), Time-Shifting function, Closed Caption Support and Parental Control With just a click
- ATSC and Clear QAM Digital TV Reception & Energy Star Qualified
- Easy Firmware Update To update firmware, users simply opt for the USB firmware update.
- It is not tied to a cable or satellite service
- You can scroll down the program guide and see "what's on", making it easy to pre-schedule the recording of your favorite show
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
From the Manufacturer
Top Customer Reviews
I was using the unit to record not from antenna, but from cable TV (it will work with either). It does work well (assuming you don't have a defective unit like mine apparently was) to record "QAM" digital cable TV signals -- that is, HD cable TV signals that are not encrypted by the cable company and do NOT require a cable company set-top box to be connected to your digital recorder or HDTV. I am just a "basic cable" subscriber and do not need/use a set-top box. My cable company (as many/most do) provides unencrypted HD channels of all the local broadcast TV channels in my area, plus a few others like community access channels. All that with no set-top box and for "only" about $20/month.
My unit's defect notwithstanding, the unit made beautiful HD recordings (when it could lock onto the cable signal).
However almost everything else about USING the unit was difficult. The menu's are not thoughtfully laid out and it takes lots of navigation to get from one feature to the next.Read more ›
First, I have only used it for few days so I wasn't able to test out all of the features but I did get to test out the basic ones. Here are some thoughts:
1) the size,weight and built quality is decent enough.
2) user manual is not that useful and you probably need to download newer version on their website.
3) after finish initial setup, you have to press "menu" button on the remote to scan TV channels.
4) remote control is not really responsive.
5) it takes between 5-10 secs to load EPG and you can view detailed program description from EPG.
6) video quality is good. (I am using RCA ANT1650 with BV-980H)
7) takes too many steps to play my recordings under file management. (got the email form them and they will add shortcut on the menu for ME :)
When I emailed and called technical support to ask how I should scan OTA channels from 980H (not showing on instruction), they also told me they will update new firmware to fix some bugs and improve the performance by end of July. So far, it works as advertised to get 4 stars. I will wait for their new firmware and upadte my review later.
I would only recommend this to someone who wanted to waste time and money. I returned mine.
Some of the problems:
1. Manual is nearly worthless. Eg, does not tell you how to play back what you have recorded. No support contact info in the manual.
2. The firmware that came with the unit is aweful. Must have been a 7th grade school programming project.
3. The firmware upgrade is not that much better. Must have been an 8th grade school programming project.
4. Could not get it into Pacific Daylight Savings time. No matter what I did, it would never show the right time. Finally gave up and let it be Pacific Standard time. This required a lot of conversion just to set up a recording time.
5. Twice I left the unit alone for a couple days. Turned on the TV. Unit had locked up on its own. This required a reboot by unplugging power.
6. Rebooting from turning power off and on caused some of the programming to disappear.
7. Program guide that loads on the screen is slow to load and slow to respond to the remote control.
8. Support is pretty much non-existent. My second call was never returned.
There is a need for a high-quality device to record over-the-air TV. Whichever company can actually make it happen will be a big winner. The company that put this device together is unlikely to be the big winner.
Interestingly, LG made an LCD digital TV with a built-in DVR that gets program information over the air. A friend has one of these and uses it only with over-the-air TV and it is fantastic. It is an LG 42LD1DR. Why LG does not produce a stand-alone digtial receiver with DVR is beyond me, because they obviously know how to make it work well.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
It just stopped working in about 1 year. So now what do I do. It was hard to use anyway. Remote had trouble sending signal also.Published 3 months ago by Amazon Customer
It does what it is supposed to do, but it's not nearly as intuitive as could've been with a little more effort on part of those who designed it.Published 11 months ago by Terry Allen
Initially this unit kept locking up and wouldn't finish a recording. Now it won't even turn on. Now I have to contact brite-View because it's just over 30 days old, so can't... Read morePublished 12 months ago by Trince Hursey
It records fine. But the operation could be designed better. Not very user-friendly. It loses channels from time to time so you have to auto-search a lot to get the channels... Read morePublished 12 months ago by Jeffrey B.
Very unfriendly user interface. Very slow in operation. The electronic program guide (EPG) feature is worthless -- it takes so long to update and display information that it is... Read morePublished 13 months ago by Peggy R House
A great option for someone who doesn't have cable and would like to record shows.Published 15 months ago by E. Rose
I've been using the Brite-view BV-980H for a little over one year now. I exclusively use it to record over-the-air (OTA) broadcasts so my will review is based only on that... Read morePublished 15 months ago by KA