Customer Discussions > NVIDIA SHIELD Portable forum

300 bucks, 72 cores, 2GB RAM to play Android marketplace games???

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 30, 2013 6:38:31 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 5:07:06 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Nov 1, 2013 5:09:33 PM PDT]

Posted on Nov 10, 2013 11:56:41 PM PST
D. Woodward says:
Okay, so a few things.
1) Yes, this is far and above one of the most powerful Android devices on the market, that is by design. Many high quality games feature either manually scale-able graphics levels or will automatically scale up to provide the best experience your device is capable of. (See the GTA games, the Riptide GP games, the Shadowgun games, etc.)
2) This thing will run most any Android App for the forseeable future, can you say future proof?
3) This thing needs some serious horsepower to decode and re-encode the signals it receives and sends from your computer when doing PC Streaming.
4) This does have HDMI out, and can output at 1080p. It takes quite a bit of power to run 1080p.

So I guess the answer to your question is yes, it is overkill, but I look at it this way; This device will remain a competitive device on the market for at least 2 years, and will still be usable for many beyond that, and because it's Game Stream functionality allows you to play AAA PC games on your mobile device while offloading the majority of the work to a desktop PC elsewhere, it's gamestream functionality is essentially endless, assuming you continue to upgrade your desktop with NVIDIA cards. I'm going to buy a Shield because I could (theoretically) still be using it to stream PC games to my lap or my TV anywhere in my house 10 years down the road. This devices usability will last right up until the actual hardware fails, and from everything I've read NVIDIA put their heart and soul into this, and made one hell of a device.

So while many complain about a $300 price tag (and I agree, it's a lot, too much to pay maybe for a phone, or a small tablet) but you are getting a device that you can use for much longer.

Hope that helps.

Posted on Nov 14, 2013 3:53:51 AM PST
Does nvidia shield work well in Europe too?
From what i heard there shouldn´t be any problem?

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2014 10:20:46 PM PDT
S. Green says:
There are no issues I can think of that you'll have to worry about outside of the wall charger. But it uses a standard mini USB port to charge with so your phone charger should be fine.

Posted on May 2, 2014 1:41:44 AM PDT
ok thanks, still considering getting a shield. But running vista on pc and req for gamestreaming is Windows 7.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Oct 30, 2013
Latest post:  May 2, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
NVIDIA SHIELD Portable
NVIDIA SHIELD Portable by NVIDIA (NVIDIA SHIELD)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (301)