5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE this diaper - Review for 4.0 w/ snaps
Published on November 26, 2010 by PghYinzer

Published on March 13, 2012 by ecochic

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE this diaper - Review for 4.0 w/ snaps, November 26, 2010
We did my son in cloth diapers from birth through potty training - prefolds and covers, mostly pull on pants. Cheap and effective. Planned to do the same with my twin girls but at 10 months our drier died, I got snowed under with laundry and sucked into a 'sposie slump, and there was no going back. Now pregnant with #4 and I want to do him in cloth the easier, hip, modern way - bought some BGs and Fuzzibuns one-size to use on my girls for now to figure out what I like. Also waiting on some Flips...

What I LOVE about these - It couldn't be easier. Stuffing them takes more time than laying a bunch of prefolds flat but not nearly as much time as running to the store for diapers. And getting them stuffed and stacked JUST SO soothes the OCD side of me (which you wouldn't know I had, to look around my house...)

Getting them ON the baby is no more work than a disposable - no taking off shoes and pants to deal with pull on pants, no seperate cover, etc. Fast and easy.

Fairly trim.

Wash very well - I got the snap ones as I know from past experience dealing with those velcro diaper snakes is NO FUN. Every one complains about the velcro not holding up. I can see it being more adjustable, but the snaps make for a nice appearance and will hold up well over time. So far even on the pale green (sweet) cover, poo stains come out 100%. The microsuade liners come pristine white each time and do not pill - they look amazing after several washes.

They fit both girls - one is 29 pounds, one is 35-36. Fuzzibuns one size are trimmer and maybe more fancy looking but do not fit my bigger girl and are tight on my smaller girl, whereas these on the biggest setting are comfortable on my bigger girl and on the second biggest fine on my smaller girl. If you REALLY want a one size that will take you to potty training, these are better than fuzzibuns. I suspect Fuzzibuns will be nicer/trimmer on a small baby, though.

I am really hoping to have my girls trained by the time #4 arrives but I could have 3 in diapers for a while and these will take some of the sting out of that.

Basically, love love love these diapers.

Cons:

PRICEY - never would have splurged like this before, but I figure I'm only doing this once more, I want to experience it all. (And hopefully past 4.0 there won't be many ways to improve - seriously, how could they be better??? - so I can sell them and get a large portion of my $$$ back)

Questionable on the absorbancy - they work pretty well for 2, slightly over 2 hours - but it can get dicey and I am still not convinced there's any way to beat a prefold for how much it will hold with how trim it is. So for naps, or long trips out - depending on what changing capabilities will be like - If I can't change every 2 hours - I am sometimes more comfortable using prefolds. I am still getting in the swing of not being able to go hours and hours in disposables...

Take up a lot of room in a diaper bag - hence my wanting to try Flips, I suspect they will be easier to travel with, as well as more versatile. Admittedly, travelling with these for ONE baby won't be as bad as for 2. (But if I do end up with 3 in dipes at once, I may need to trade in my diaper bag for a carry-on bag with wheels LOL...)

Elastic is supposed to be replacable but I don't know how yet - it's SUPER easy in the Fuzzibuns, seems more complicated in these. But possible. So they say.

The SMELL... look around and you will see complaints of SMELLS on these dipes. I was using Charlie's Soap and I had stinky dipes. Many moms admit to switching to Tide - gasp! a sin in the natural world - which I have tried - and it seems to help. I am searching for the perfect way to combat the smell, something in between "natural but doesn't work" and "never do that, you'll wreck your BGs!" but the smell is not a big enough deal to not love these dipes.

I don't see myself going 100% pocket dipes but I see myself reaching for these a lot. Maybe 90%. Trying to figure out the ideal number to have. I really, really love them and wish I had gotten into them sooner. But if I had, I probably would have gotten the velcro ones, and these are so much better - it's just as well. Baby #4 is going to have some awesome diapers.

(I don't realistically see myself going right in to these at birth though - newborn prefolds and prowraps covers are cheap and simple and IMO the best way to go with a newborn who poops a lot... will likely start these around 2 months or so - can't wait!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great all around diaper!, March 5, 2011
This review is from: bumGenius One-Size Hook & Loop Closure Cloth Diaper 4.0 - Ribbit (Baby Product)
I've tried many diapers, and for the sake of ease, we wanted to stock up on 1 diaper. While this isn't my favorite day time diaper, I'd prefer something easier than a pocket and something with a trimmer fit....this one is the best for night time leaks. I've only had a couple leaks and that was user (husband) error.

2.0 out of 5 stars Stay away from the hook and loop 4.0s!!! The 3.0s are awesome, but the 4.0s are horrible!, March 13, 2012
We have had the velcro (hook and loop) 3.0s for over two years and they still work great. The 4.0s are another story. The velcro stays pretty longer, but it stops working completely after a month or two. We've been warning friends to stay away from the 4.0s, but told them to look for the 3.0s instead. When I emailed the company, they suggested that it was how I was laundering them, but since I wash them all the same way and have never had a problem with the others, I know it's not me! They offered to fix them if I send them in, but what am I supposed to do without my diapers? No, thank you. I will be be adding new velcro myself. Snaps might be an option for some people, but after using both Fuzzi Bunz and Bum Genius diapers with snaps, I have concluded that snaps are even more of a pain.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE these diapers. A comparison: Charlie banana, Alva, Flip., January 9, 2014
Tracy R. (Connecticut, USA) - See all my reviews
i'm a first time mom and a first time cloth diaper-er. i've tried bumGenius, Alva, Flip, and Charlie Banana diapers. These and Flips (made by the same company) are my favorite. The bumGenius are pocket diapers which makes it super easy for husband and grandmas to use. As long as i pre-stuff them, it's as easy to use as a disposable. I prefer the snaps, but the hook and loop closure make it SUPER easy for them.

Another thing that I like about these diapers is that they are one size and so are the inserts, although it does come with a newborn insert that doubles and second overnight insert. These diapers will take you from the newborn stage to the potty training stage. I did not start cloth diapering until almost three months just because it was my first time. I wanted to try different brands to see what i liked before i built up my stash and my baby pooped way too often (like every two hour feed plus). I have been cloth diapering for about two months now.

Why i love bumGenius over Charlie Banana: To change the size of the diaper, bumGenius has snaps in the front. Charlie Bananas have an elastic on the inside that you have to adjust, like a bra strap. #1, this is a pain. #2, i dont think the diapers would last as long because I can see the band dry rotting over time and many washes. The pocket of the Charlie Bananas open at the front, and the bumGenius open at the back. I prefer the opening at the back, at least with a boy. Although this diaper is hook and loop, if you get the snap version, there are only two top snaps on each side. With the Charlie Bananas, they have two top snaps and a hip snap on each side. I find all the snaps a little annoying. The bumGenius doesnt need the hip snaps. Over all the bumGenius is a better fit.

Why I love bumGenius over Alva: You can DEFINITELY tell the difference in quality. Although the diapers come in many cute colors and designs (much much much more than the bumGenius) and are very cheap (as low as $4 or $5 a diaper) you can totally tell that these diapers are not going to last in the long run. I plan on having a second child and passing the cloth diapers on, and Im not really sure if these will make it. I guess you get what you pay for. Like the Charlie Banana, they have two top snaps and a hip snap, which is annoying to me. Like the bumGenius, they have the snaps in the front to adjust the size, which I like. Also like the bumGenius, the opening of the pocket is in the back, BUT it's just an opening and I feel like once my baby is a little more mobile, the insert may poke its way out of the top. With the bumGenius, there are flaps that fold over to cover the opening and keep the insert inside. The inserts are not adjustable like the bumGenius. (The bumGenius inserts have snaps on them for quick and correct sizing). Ive also had a couple leaks with the Alva and never the bumGenius.

The difference between bumGenius and Flip: The bumGenius is a pocket diaper, like i said before, closest to the style of a disposable diaper, so probably the easiest to use when pre-stuffed, especially with the hook and loop closer. The Flip diapers are an all in two diaper, which means the outer shell is totally separate from the absorption part. That means you can re-use the shell of the diaper (depending how dirty your baby gets the diaper) and just change the insert. You also just have the dirty insert to deal with instead of the dirty insert and the dirty diaper part. If your baby does dirty the shell, it's a lot easier to wipe that down. Both diapers are made by the same company (cotton babies) so the quality of the diapers are the same: great! They both have the same closures: hook and loop or the two top snaps on each side. They are both a one size diaper with snaps in the front for adjusting the size. I use the stay dry inserts for the flip diapers which are one size and they are labeled small, med, where you fold them over to fit the proper size of the diaper (large is the whole insert opened) which is similar to the bumGenius, but you snap the bumGenius. The harder part about using the Flip diapers is that there are two pieces to the diaper that are not attached: the shell and the insert, which makes it a little more 'confusing' or difficult to use for those people that may be babysitting i.e. grandma, or those with little patients i.e. husbands. I also try and 'pre-stuff' these diapers too, to get them ready but is basically folding the insert and placing it in the shell. You can also use the 'old fashion' prefold cloth diapers as inserts with the Flip diaper shell.

So in a nutshell, bumGenius is a great quality easy to use pocket diaper. I love them as well as Flip diapers. I would definitely recommend this diaper to anyone is cloth diapering, especially if you want a cloth diaper to last and hand down to your next child and are wiling to spend a little more money for a better quality.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fleece Pills, April 13, 2012
I bought 12 of the bumGenius 4.0 Hook and Loop and 12 of the snaps about less than a month ago. The inside fleece is unfortunately starting to pill even though I've followed the washing and drying instructions. For the price of these diapers, I believe the fleece should be of better quality.

I would recommend buying the snaps over the hook and loop because the velcro does not seem like it will last a long time. Also, the laundry tabs seems like they are rough on the baby's skin. I know I wouldn't want those tabs rubbing on my skin. The velcro is easier to get on a squirming baby; however, if you buy these with the intention of using it for future kids too, I would buy the snaps.

Overall, the quality of the outside cover is outstanding, inside fleece is terrible, two inserts are just ok.

1.0 out of 5 stars velcro wears out fast, July 19, 2011
I got this new version of bumgenius about 6 months ago. The velcro is already wearing out and they are opening under my baby's clothes (so it's not her pulling them off). I would not recommend getting these unless you are willing to replace them every 6 months.

5.0 out of 5 stars My husbands favorite, December 17, 2012
We have a 5 month old and a collection of Bumgenius Elementals with snaps and 4.0s with velcro. We love the 4.0's for nighttime and naps because you can increase the absorbancy by putting in another or different insert. We also like them for poop times. They are a bit easier to spray out than the all in ones. I know many people do not like the velcro but we personally love them. We have a chunky lil guy and the snaps can sometimes be difficult to get just the right fit resulting in leaks when he is inbetween sizes. The velcro is a perfect fit everytime for use. You can expect to get a chain of diaper from the dryer because they often will not stay on the velcro tabs. This is very minor and not really a problem for us. I have not had to replace the velcro yet on my new diapers but have done it on some seconds that I purchased to see if cloth diaper was for us. Replacing the velcro was super easy with the repair kit for $1 sold from cottonbabies. Don't count out the velcro just based on these reviews.

2.0 out of 5 stars Only diaper that's worked for us - for a few months, December 22, 2011
SMW (Far West suburbs, Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
With everything a new mother is doing once that baby is born, why in the world would they want to add to their day by using cloth diapers? Well, I am the mother to a very high maintenance infant. I try to be "green" (recycle, buy locally, etc), as I realize we only have one Earth, (and I would prefer not to pollute it with disposable diapers).

From my research I found most disposable diapers sit in landfills for FIVE HUNDRED YEARS and they're made with up to approximately 62 CHEMICALS! Not to mention all of the petroleum and water used to make disposable diapers was unbelievable. I wanted none of those things for my daughter or the world. When my daughter was born, I'll be honest, I used the most biodegradable, chemical-free disposable diaper I could find, (but the tabs and elastic weren't biodegradable although the diaper itself was compostable and claimed to biodegrade in 15 years). Although I wanted to used cloth diapers, my baby was so demanding all day and night, (even now at almost a year old), I was just exhausted and thought I didn't have the time for cloth diapers.

All of that changed when my baby was about 4 months old and started rolling over. Suddenly the biodegradable diapers were leaking and she was waking up at night - several times a night - wet and angry. I had friends and neighbors ridiculing me for using biodegradable diapers instead of a more absorbent disposable diaper. The thing was, the way my baby was sleeping, the urine would somehow leak out the side of the diaper. I tried putting cloth diaper liners over her biodegradable diapers and she'd still find a way to pee out of them. I tried putting two microfiber inserts in a cloth diaper - leaked. In desperation I tried Pampers (several different kinds), Huggies and Seventh Generation diapers. ALL LEAKED!! And I wasn't putting them on incorrectly. I would carefully and methodically make sure the ruffle was out surrounding her chubby, baby thigh and that the ruffle in the inside was pointed in and not accidentally stuck to the bottom of the diaper. I tried different sizes, using two diapers at the same time...LEAKED, LEAKED, LEAKED...

I was beyond frustrated, completely exhausted and out of ideas. Finally someone mentioned to me that I should try using hemp inserts with the Bum Genius diapers. I thought she was crazy but she explained that her first was a heavy wetter and she had been where I was with being up every night changing the crib sheet and the baby.

I went out and bought the two things she recommended and I haven't used ANY disposable diapers since then. I stuff my Bum Genius diapers with 2 Baby Kicks hemp inserts and a wool cover on top of everything and my baby is dry every night. (Cue angelic sound)

Amazing how different things are now that I have added hemp to these diapers. What used to be a long production whether or not I put the disposable diaper on right - checking and double checking it - and then worrying if I did it right - and frustrated when she urinated out of it is all gone.

I quickly put these diapers on my daughter and she's off to bed, nap or to play. I still sometimes use the microfiber inserts but I'll add one baby kicks hemp insert with it. She's dry for hours.

Highly, Highly Recommend these diapers (with the Baby Kicks hemp inserts) - especially if you have a baby that has rolls like the Michelin man and nothing else has worked for you.

Also, I've been using the Bum Genius diapers for almost 6 months now.

UPDATE 1-12-13:

Maybe it's because my daughter is a chunky monkey or maybe it's because I use these with hemp inserts or maybe it's because the velcro is getting old but I haven't been able to use these for months. No matter how tight I try to pull the diaper around her waist it still gets loose and then the diaper droops and pee leaks out around the legs. We were on a walk and she squatted down to pick up a stick, and there was a puddle on the sidewalk as well as her pants were soaked.

I still use the Flip covers with pre-folds as she needs that much absorbency during the day. At night I have started to use disposables, (unfortunately), but I couldn't find anything else that would hold the mass amount of urine. I also put a diaper cover (Plastic or polyeurathayne?) over the disposable in the event she poops and the diaper starts to sag, she is still dry.

I haven't used these diapers in many, many months now... I wouldn't recommend the velcro to anyone now...just buy the snaps. Or better yet, buy the Flips covers and prefolds...wish I had!!

1.0 out of 5 stars hook and loop wears out quickly, April 26, 2013
Don't get the velcro as it wears out quickly. We sent back 9mts after purchase and were denied warranty. We love our fuzzibunz pocket diapers w/ snaps.

4.0 out of 5 stars Prefer Snaps but Velcro is easier for helpers, June 25, 2011
I got one of these in the snap version and one in the hook & loop to compare:

PRO
Both wash well
Both more trim than using prefolds
Both fit my newborn and my two year old
Husband likes to not fuss with snaps and prefers Velcro

CON
Laundry tabs on the Velcro version ~ along the lining that rests against baby's back, the softer side Velcro is right there and rubs...soft, but not soft like the lining. I might take them off myself.

Rate and Discover Movies