4.0 out of 5 stars BumGenius 4.0 is almost caught up with Fuzzi Buns
Published on November 17, 2010 by whatever

3.0 out of 5 stars Biggest isn't always the best.
I originally bought several BG diapers for DD mainly because they were so popular and had so many positive reviews. BG is one of the biggest brands of cloth diapers so you can get them pretty much anywhere. The diapers are fine, I just don't think they are the best. I tried several other smaller brands that I think were better for a variety of reasons.

I'll...
Published on July 4, 2011 by ppmomma

3.0 out of 5 stars Biggest isn't always the best., July 4, 2011

I'll start with the things I liked about the BG diapers:

1. They are very absorbent diapers and rarely leaked.

2. They are very affordable. I got mine during a B5G1 sale, so my real cost per diaper was only $14. That's great for a one-size diaper. I also like that it comes with two inserts, although most OS pockets do.

3. They're cute! I loved all the bright color options and new prints.

4. Option of snaps or aplix. There are pros and cons of each, and it is nice to have the choice.

But, there are quite a few things that could be improved on:

1. Quality - These are not the highest quality diapers I tried. Although it did effect the function of the diaper, almost all of mine had uneven stitching or elastic. I also prefer TPU shells to PUL. TPU just feels softer and stretchier to me. The shell of these is pretty thin. I felt sometimes like I would tear it if I pulled the snaps too hard. I don't care for the feeling of the stay dry liner and microfiber - it is almost sticky when you run your hand across it. I prefer fleece, which is much thicker and softer on baby's bottom. The regular price of these ($18) is comparable to other OS pockets but they just don't have the quality of anything else I tried (Oh Katy, Bummis, THirsties, AMP ect.)

2. Back pocket opening - this is a big deal to me. The pocket is in the back which means when the diaper is poopy, you are going to get it on your hands when you pull the insert out. Yuck! Oh Katy makes a pocket diaper with the opening in the front, which is much better, IMHO

3. Fit - These are not the trimmest diapers, especially on a younger baby. DD had skinny thighs and to get the diaper tight enough to not get a gap, it would always leave red marks.

4. Stains - I don't know why, but these seem to have collected stains that none of my other diapers have. I have tried sunning them and everything and they will not come out.

5. Leaks - My BGs did not leak much, but my Oh Katy's and Bummis NEVER leak.

Overall, I don't have too many really negative things to say about this diaper, I just didn't like it as well as the other brands I tried. I think a lot of the people who write these glowing reviews for them must not have tried any other brands, because although they are perfectly functional, they are not stellar in any respect. I think they are a good "starter" diaper if you just want to try CDing because they can be so affordable if you get them on sale, but most CD mommas I know have sold these for something else eventually. For $18 you can get a better diaper than this.

4.0 out of 5 stars BumGenius 4.0 is almost caught up with Fuzzi Buns, November 17, 2010
BumGenius has almost caught up with FuzziBuns with the introduction of the new 4.0 version. All the things that made FuzziBuns far superior, BumGenius borrowed for this design. The availability of snaps means that you can use your diapers for a second child (the velcro does NOT last on velcro tabs of any brand - DO NOT GET VELCRO) and active babies don't rip off their snap diapers (wrangling them into the snaps, of course, is why some people like velcro - but not so great when they choose to rip off velcro and do their business on the nice rug). The biggest improvement is the replaceable elastic - something FuzziBuns introduced a while back. This is the number one reason my older cloth diapers "pooped" out (and I mean that in oh so many ways).

So, the remaining differences (and here I'm talking about the latest versions of both - November 2010):
I think FuzziBuns are softer and stay softer after washing.
I think BumGenius stay drier longer.
I think BumGenius are better for bigger babies (the FuzziBuns fit my ginourmous second child fine still, but I wonder exactly what is going to happen when he's 3 given that he weighs almost 30 pounds and is not yet 1).
I think BumGenius are much more difficult to wash (the pocket has an end flap. When you use the BumGenius sprayer - which rocks BTW - all the poop gets caught in the pocket. If you spray toward the closed end of the pocket, the water gets in but takes forever to drain out so my wash bucket gets all full of water and the "waterproof" BumGenius liner eventually leaks. The FuzziBuns spray off much easier, no poop goes in the pocket, and they don't hold so much water) and tend to hold smell longer (they need to be stripped more often).

With the new 4.0 version, I think the difference is mostly preference - but I'm sticking with FuzziBuns as my primary diaper.

3.0 out of 5 stars BumGenius are good, but Flip is better, June 24, 2011
My wife and I decided to use cotton (pocket) diapers be we are both product designers and liked the features and economy the offered. So the first thing we did was to read a lot of reviews and talked to many people who all seem to contrasting views, so in the end we bought a few of each style diaper and tried them ourselves. The results:

1. FuzziBunz (one size) these leaked on our newborn despite him being in weight range and trying all the possible settings. When I contacted FuzziBunz customer support I was told that "maybe he is too small" (despite being in the correct weight range). We also spent a lot of time adjusting all of the elastic points trying to find something that wasn't too tight (leaving red marks on his legs) vs. leaking and just when we find it he would grow and we would start again.

2. BumGenius (one size) these functioned pretty much the same as the FuzziBunz except that they don't have all the elastic adjustments, which we thought was going to be a negative, but turned out to work better than we thought. The pad inserts were also a little bigger than the FuzziBunz which gave them a bigger look (to an already big looking diaper)

3. Flip (one size) When I was at the store there looked like the worst one because it didn't have all the bells and whistles of the other pocket diapers, and really just looked like a shell for the insert. And as it turns out this is our favorite for just that reason. Unlike FuzziBunz and BumGenius pocket diapers with the sewn in polar fleece liner the Flip can be reused several times before washing. That is because it IS just a shell for the liner. So as long as the soil is only on the liner and either does not soak through or you rinse it off you can simple put a clean liner in and reuse it. This is not the case 100% of the time, but more often than not you can. This also makes it much easier to change and keep him in cloth when on the go, and we've not tried them, but you can also get disposable liners for the Flip.

Bottom Line:

Everyone is different and has different likes/needs in products, but for us the Flip is by far the best product for how we live. If you can afford it I would encourage you to buy at least 1 of each product and try it for yourself, as well as looking on Criagslist for used ones that you might try first before making the investment in 8-10 of the ones you like.

You can also look on Youtube for many videos on how to sew your own liners from fabric available at most fabric stores, but I found the cost in materials to be not much of a savings of just buying them. And frankly, once the kid arrives sewing is about the last thing you have time for!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great diaper for certain body types, June 21, 2011
akbopper (Virginia, USA) - See all my reviews
I tried our little guy in these at about 3-3.5 months and 13 lbs. I also tried FuzziBunz one size at the same time. I haven't been able to get a good fit with the FuzziBunz, no matter how I adjust them. The BumGenius, however, have done great. Our little guy is long and lean, and I assume that the BG's just work better for his body type. One thing about these that I think works well for us is the adjustable rise. FB's don't have that and I think that makes all the difference for getting a good fit.
I don't think that these would have worked well at 8 lbs, though. We started with some fitteds for the first few months before attempting to go to a 'one size' diaper.
We've been using these for about a month and I have no complaints. We've had no blow-outs and only a couple minor leaks. I'm hoping that we'll get some good mileage out of these over the next couple of years.

UPDATE 2/2/12
We're going on 10 months of using these now. I am still quite happy with them and would purchase them again. The Fuzzi Bunz work better than when we first tried them. In fact, I think the FB have a slimmer fit than the BG. There are definitely times that I want a slimmer diaper so that certain clothes will fit better, so I'll reach for the FB. Because the BG are a little larger (longer overall and wider in the crotch), you can stuff more inserts in there for overnight use. There isn't enough room in the FB to fit enough inserts for nighttime. I now use both routinely, although the vast majority of my cloth diaper collection is Bum Genius 4.0. Another plus for the BG is the inside of the PUL (the waterproof part) is slicker than in the FB (theirs is a little stickier/tackier). This makes it easier to stuff the pockets.

Another way that I prefer the BG over the FB is the polyester fleece lining that is up against baby's skin. The BG's is thinner and smoother. The FB's is thicker and softer initially, but quickly becomes pilled. I don't think this reflects on the effectiveness of the products, but I think the FB look worn more quickly. The BG still look basically new. On the rare occasion that there is a stain on the BG, it is easily fixed with a little sunshine.

Also worth mentioning is that these are made in the USA and Egypt. Not sure why both places, but it's something that I look into when I am able to.

I would still definitely recommend the Bum Genius. I do wish that you could purchase the pockets without the inserts at a reduced price. I'm not a big fan of the microfiber inserts. They work fine but I think they take on odors more easily and aren't quite as absorbent as some natural fiber options out there (my personal favorites are Babykicks Joeybunz premiums and Thirsties Duo Hemp prefolds).

My best recommendation if you're trying to get started with cloth diapers? Get some tiny diapers for the newborn stage (I bought mine used, which works just fine because they're not in them all that long). My definite favorite for the newborn time was Thirsties fitteds (I also really liked the Kissaluvs fitteds). We also had a bunch of older-style Fuzzi Bunz size smalls that worked well. We used those until about 13 lbs. At that point we moved on to BumGenius 4.0, a couple Fuzzi Bunz One Size, some prefolds and Workhorse fitteds from Green Mountain Diapers and several Thirsties Duo Fab Fitteds (these work great for use for nights but they are a little pricey). The variety serves to accommodate varied preferences and situations. If you are going to buy BumGenius or Fuzzi Bunz I would check out Comfybummy dot com or the Cotton Babies website. They run promotions periodically that are buy 5, get one free.

10/6/12 update:
Our little fella is now 19+ months. He is progressively longer and leaner. He's about 32 in tall and weighs about 22 pounds. He has a super skinny waist and thighs. He is still on the same snap settings in the Bum Genius that he was almost a year ago! That being said, they still look almost the same as when I bought them. I pretty much never dry the pockets in the dryer. They are pretty much exclusively hung to dry, either inside or out. I do like the Fuzzibunz better and better, as they tend to fit a smaller baby better. I still really like these, though, and would definitely buy them again.

And, in case someone from Bum Genius (Cotton Babies) is looking at these reviews, I would love to be able to buy the pockets without the inserts. I'm not a big fan of the microfiber inserts. I think they get stinky more easily, I'm not convinced that they work as well as some of the natural fiber inserts and they will take forever to biodegrade. I almost never use the inserts that come with these. I love the Baby Kicks Premium most out of all the ones I've used.
Good Luck!

April, 2013 update:
Our little man is just past two years old now. He has only become more slender as he gets older. Unfortunately, the BumGenius diapers are more difficult to get a good, snug fit on his skinny little thighs. This in no way reflects the quality of these diapers, it's just a cut issue for us. The diapers still look great (been using them for just under 2 years) and all the snaps are still like-new. I've purchased a few more FuzziBunz One-Size, as they now fit him better. No regrets in buying these, but I am disappointed that the same diaper didn't work for us all the way through potty training.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great diaper for the price!, July 8, 2011
So you've decided to cloth diaper. Oh my goodness are there a lot of choices out there! What kind do you even go with? All in ones, prefolds, flats, pockets, one size? It's enough to make your head spin!

I did A LOT of research before buying bumgenius. It was really stressful, and it doesn't need to be. I would suggest finding a website that explains all the types of cloth diapers, and figuring out what sounds like it will work best for you, and THEN come back and read the rest of this review. I'll wait.

Ok, good?

Now, the thing I like about these is that it's several different sizes in one diaper. Ideally, my daughter shouldn't need another diaper ever. While that remains to be seen, it's looking good so far. I like that it's easy to make the diaper larger as she grows because it's as simple as changing the snap setting. She is on the second setting, and probably has a little while before we have to go to the last one. For the record, she'd be about a size 3 in disposibles (which I'm told is the size which lasts the longest).

This diaper is also VERY absorbant. You do have to wash the inserts several times before the first use, which is a little bit of a pain, but all cloth is like that. If you find that your LO is leaking but the insert isn't soaked, that's likely the problem (or it's repelling because you're using a petroleum-based rash cream). If your baby is soaking the insert, the story is that you can use hemp liners. (Our daughter started to soak through overnight because she's sleeping better so we aren't changing her, so we're going to try these).

This goes for all cloth, but lets admit it - they're really friggin cute! That's a bonus!

Now, price-wise, amazon's pretty good. I didn't buy mine here, but the price is pretty close across the internet. If you find a killer deal, especially on amazon, consider where they are shipped from . . . I believe the company is based in the US. Buyer beware, I suspect.

Finally, a word about cloth diapering fears. You researched them, bought them, washed them. . . and your baby is in disposibles because you're scared. I don't know why, maybe leaks or laundry or rashes. Honestly, get over the fears and try them out! It took us 2 months to finally just use them, and that's two months of disposibles wasted!

Have fun with them!

2.0 out of 5 stars 1.5 years of use update, May 17, 2014
Sadly, I've changed my mind about "how easy cloth diapers are" and "how much cheaper they are than disposable over the long run". We loved our stash of 4.0 and Freetime diapers for almost 2 years now but now they have all slowly lost their waterproofing. I'm a savvy dad, I wanted to feel good about using cloth diapers, I've been researching since we knew we where having a baby about all the diapering styles, brands, wash routines, stink issues, yadda yadda. We dealt with ammonia, we dealt with barnyard stink, we learned about biokleen and dawn and yes, bleach (as recommended by cotton babies). I gobbled up novels of forum comments and Facebook posts and manufacturer-recommended everythings but honestly they aren't easy and they really don't last that long. Walking to the washing machine to push rinse, then back to put soap in and push wash, then back again to push wash again without soap and then to the dryer on medium (or whatever "simple" routine you find that works) is work. It means texting your wife while you are at work to let her know what stage you left the diaper routine at when you left for work. It means folding and stuffing 20+ diapers every 2 days. It's not "easy". And now, after not even 2 years of very diligent diapering they (along with our 2 main wet bags) have slowly turned to trash. I didn't do the math, it might be a little bit cheaper to cloth diaper for 1.5 years but it isn't "easy". I was very into this lifestyle for a long time but now that I can't carry these diapers over to the next baby due in July, I'm sad. I give up. I hope this review is helpful to some of you on the fence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Normally very critical, but WOW!, May 30, 2011
I have been using bum genius 3.0 diapers for 22 months now. I bought half of mine used and half of them new. The used half were roughly 9 months of use in an 18 diaper cycle. After 22 months (and some even before), I had a few complaints, though they were still better than the 12 other brands that I have also tried. My complaints were: 1) some of them have the elastic wearing out that is hard to replace, even with a professional seamstress for a mom--this is allowing extra side leaks and 2) the velcro tabs are curling up and don't stay on the laundry tabs, giving me a chain of diapers to mess with after washing and 3) they're bulky, especially when he was small and the nighttime diapers that require 2 large liners.

All of that said, when we got pregnant with our second baby, I purchased the 4.0's to add a few diapers to our supply now that we have two children. I nearly switched brands instead of going with the 4.0's, but stuck with them (namely, because I didn't know what would be better--we like the one sizers, and were not a fan of the fuzzi bunz for a variety of reasons). BOY, am I glad we did! The new diapers are snaps, which we are in love with, and while I know the elastic will wear out like our previous ones in a few years, the design of them will allow for very easy replacement for someone with minimal sewing skills (like me). Grant it, it is not as easy as the fuzzi bunz system because they will require minor sewing, but they work so much better! They are still bulky, which I've decided that I prefer, as the liners of bum genius seem more absorbent and I have a VERY heavy pee-er.

I recommend these in a heartbeat! In fact, my husband was completely opposed to cloth diapering and now states he "doesn't mind it" since we use these. I also want to throw in that the colors are bleach safe, unlike fuzzi bunz, so I can feel extra secure in the fact that they are fully sanitized! Coupled with the diaper sprayer, I feel like these really minimalize the extra work that is involved in cloth diapering.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bum Genius vs Fuzzibunz and the winner is.., March 5, 2011
I have been cloth diapering for about 6 months now and my first "stash" were Fuzzibunz One Size diaper. I really like Fuzzibunz for their absorbancy at night and ease of use (my hubby loved this!) but we only had a dozen and the rest prefolds so we decided to add some more pockets to our stash. This time we wanted to try BumGenius after all of the great reviews and raves. So I ordered a dozen Bum Genius 4.0 snaps (against velcro.. due to reviews of it wearing quickly and we're used to snaps with our FB's anyway)

What I like about BumGenius:
*A trimmer fit then FB's.. I can double stuff these at night and the diapers aren't too bulky but just as absorbant if not more so.
*Fits my chunky baby great.. no red marks on his thighs
*Quick line drying
*I like the colors :)

FB's so far we have had a lot of ammonia issues and "stinkys".. they have been wicking more lately as well. The elastic has been kind of a pain to adjust and leaves red marks on his thighs. I won't give up on my FB's and will still use them but BumGenius is my new "go-to" when I reach for a diaper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these, March 16, 2014
As first-time parents, we decided to give these cloth diapers a try since hearing raving reviews by others about how great cloth diapers (in general) are. We were nervous at first, but by 2 months old our son was blowing out of his disposables at least 2-3x a day and we were tired of the mess, so we gave these a shot - and never looked back. They were amazing! So much softer and cozier than a disposable, and best of all - NO MORE BLOWOUTS. In the end, we actually ended up doing way less laundry!

Besides less blowouts? We've also had a LOT less diaper rash with these over disposables.

That was our review 2.5 years ago. And now? Our little baby isn't so little anymore - he's 2.5 now, and we are still using these cloth diapers. Around 18 months we started having issues with ammonia buildup, and despite our best efforts, we ended up chalking up the issue to a change in urine once babies hit the toddler-age. Currently, we still use these during the day, and use disposables at night. However, we still feel like we saved/are saving a lot of money - and these diapers (despite being washed every 2 days for 2.5 years), have held up incredibly well and still look like new. Let me repreat that - LIKE NEW. If we weren't planning on future kiddos, we would sell these diapers and recoup some of our costs - but we think we will get even more use out of them in the future!

While some don't like having to stuff the pockets with inserts everytime you wash them, I don't mind - it isn't difficult, and we really like having the option to choose how much to stuff it - how absorbent we want it to be. For daytime (for a toddler), we use both inserts the diaper comes with (1 daytime + 1 nighttime insert). For naps/bed (when we use it), we bought extra hemp inserts that we use, that are even more absorbent for bigger babies/toddlers.

All-in-all, these diapers are great. Great customer service, too. We had an issue with an overnight insert (one of the snaps came off, and we couldn't use it), and Cotton Babies was wonderful about sending us a replacement right away - free of charge.

I've recommended these diapers to all the parents-to-be I know. I know, after 2.5 years of continuous everyday use, that I am one happy customer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving the 4.0, September 26, 2011
Lindsey (Georgia, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I previously had bumGenius 3.0 One Size diapers. They were okay at first and progressed to crap (mainly because of the velcro). So, bumGenius released the 4.0 with snaps! I had to try it. Much, much better!

The differences from the old ones:

- the snaps are so much better and so much more durable that the old velcro.
- the tabs are stretchy now, so you get a better fit, even with snaps.
- the interior fabric is much softer and a little plusher.

The things that are the same, but are awesome with bumGenius:

- the inserts snap down and a double comes with each diaper.
- the back pocket opening has a strip of fabric that cover it. No gaping in the back.
- the front has a small strip of PUL on the inside top of the diaper. No leaks or wicking with that little feature.
- great fit!

The new 4.0 outer PUL does feel a bit more stiff than the 3.0s. I haven't had any problems with it, it just felt different. I can now say that I am a very happy bumGenius user! I replaced all my cloth diapers with the bumGenius 4.0 One size diapers.

A note about colors (I have them all):
- Moonbeam is two-toned. The stretchy tabs are a slightly different blue than the rest of the diaper.
- Sweet is barely, barely colored. So barely it looks accidental.
- Bubble is a light lavendarish grey color.
- Grasshopper & Buttercream are light, but much brighter than you'd think.
- Noodle is much more awesome in person than it appears in pictures.
- Zinnia is hot cranberry pink.

Rate and Discover Movies