Customer Discussions > Decision Points forum

bush didn't write this book

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 83 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 8, 2010 7:19:01 AM PST
F. Smathers says:
Bush and Sarah Palin use ghostwriters to write their books. The ghostwriters are hired to try to make these two illiterate shills for the fascist right look like they actually have the ability to form complete sentences. Those who are addicted to right-wing political heroin will get a huge "rush" from Bush's book. Everyone else will avoid this propaganda like the plague.

Posted on Nov 8, 2010 8:02:49 AM PST
Erin Thomsen says:
I actually know one of the ghostwriters of this book. The stories are Bush's, the words are not exactly his.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2010 8:16:43 AM PST
Gwennyth says:
Oh, don't be a stupid fool.

Posted on Nov 8, 2010 11:52:19 AM PST
never misunderestimate bush and palin's lingual skillzzz

Posted on Nov 8, 2010 12:23:28 PM PST
E. Von Ray says:
Well, neither did Obama. By all accounts, and from his college papers, he was a very average writer at best. Very few of these books are not written without a professional to assist.

Posted on Nov 8, 2010 12:54:34 PM PST
david martin says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 9, 2010 6:41:54 AM PST
WORST PRESIDENT EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on Nov 16, 2010 9:41:11 AM PST
Who would buy this or Palin's book? Do you want to lower your IQ? Why do I hear more from Bush now that he isn't in the white house?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2010 10:11:21 AM PST
Bob Hoskins says:
Now he's being trotted out on the talk shows trying to make us believe that somehow, someway we shouldn't blame him for laying waste to this country and one or two others. Also we should feel sorry for him having to make all those hard "Decisions".

The man is a joke, one huge Texas gun slinging, privileged, unmotivated, idealistic joke. His legacy is now ours to try to repair at home and abroad.

Assuming or inferring this guy is anything more than a political and human failure is tantamount to waking up on 3rd base and assuming you hit a triple.

Posted on Nov 17, 2010 3:11:33 PM PST
You think Kennedy or any of them actually wrote theirs?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2010 3:22:27 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2010 3:28:46 PM PST
Bush has hardly said a word, since he left office.What all have you heard?? Be spacific!!!!!

Posted on Nov 17, 2010 3:29:08 PM PST
RNS says:
As I mention in my review, I think the manner and structure of how Bush tells his story is going to influence the way a lot of memoirs will be written in the future by CEOs, politicians and others. Each chapter opens with a personable, chatty and very interesting "story" about a decision. What publishers refer to as "a hook." Then, the tone and the nature of the content changes - almost as if there's a coauthor stepping in to pick-up the writing. Indeed, one wonders. I think the answer is buried in the Acknowledgements where Bush remarks about the help of Chris Michel, his Chief Speechwriter (who "knew how I talked and saw much of the history we made"). And, concedes that "much of the research for this book was conducted by the brilliant and tireless Peter Rough" and acknowledges the help of a host of others, including four MORE members of his former speechwriting staff. Thus, it appears that we now have a new genre, which I shall dub "the running commentary memoir." A wealthy or prominent politician simply gets their staff to write-up the day-to-day events, then the "author" simpy steps in and interjects their stories and commentary.

I must admit, it works. The folksy, cordial, let-me-tell-you-how-this-happened approach is very charming, in a comfortable, neighborly way and Bush pulls readers into the chapter-by-chapter decisions to be addressed. Flipping back to the Introduction, we learn where Bush got the idea for this approach. It was after meeting with several historians and deciding to record his perspective of his years as president, that he found Ulysses S. Grant's use of anecdotes as the manner he felt most comfortable in which to write his memoir. Thus, we have a memoir focused--from Bush's own perspective - on the major decisions of his presidency. Indeed, it reads more like a memoir written by a CEO, than a scholarly book like one of Barack Obama's, or the exhaustively thorough memoir by Bill Clinton.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2010 3:36:03 PM PST
CLS says:
buuubuubuutttt Obama! Bush couldn't string a sentence with a teleprompter! Good God, what's the matter with you people?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2010 4:30:01 PM PST
peteschlac says:
George W Bush has been a non-participant throughout his life. A legacy at Yale, meaning he did not have to compete for entry like you and I. A duty-dodger during the VietNam war, meaning he could have sought active conflict, but chose not to. A vicious back-stabber against Ann Richards in his governorship race in Texas, again, courtesy Mr. Rove. And then we come to the Bush Family Crusade against Muslims and Saddam Hussein. The puffed-up CIA bull--it about Weapons Of Mass Destruction. And now W is wringing his hands saying he was misled? A trillion dollars later, and now he feels bad? How many soldiers paid the ultimate price, George? In most modern democracies, W would be on trial along with Cheney and the rest of the Neo-Cons for war crimes. It's not too late!

Posted on Nov 17, 2010 6:07:59 PM PST
W. Wilson says:
E. Von Ray:

Obama did write his books.

Check on-line for an article he wrote called "Why Organize?" Read the last paragraph especially; he wrote this in 1990, five years before 'Dreams from My Father' was published.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2010 7:03:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2010 7:03:55 PM PST
CLS says:
Peteschlac, Just curious....did you read the book? I won't spend one red cent to make this war criminal richer, and neither will anyone I know. I don't think I could read it without getting sick at my stomach.

Excellent post, btw. You're right on the money!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2010 12:26:32 AM PST
Elo says:
"the exhaustively thorough memoir by Bill Clinton."

I have the first edition hardcover of My Life somewhere, and was very excited to read it when I got it.

I don't think I got more than a quarter of the way through it. It was TOO thorough, and exhausting.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2010 12:34:33 AM PST
Elo says:
"Those who are addicted to right-wing political heroin will get a huge "rush" from Bush's book. Everyone else will avoid this propaganda like the plague."

Hmm. I voted for Clinton twice, then Al Gore. And I was still able to buy, read, and enjoy Decision Points.

It's called having an open mind.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2010 8:46:10 AM PST
L. Hathaway says:
I find it hard to enjoy books that are whiny. He's so self-serving in the book. And when he admited to war crimes....wow...just wow. I would have enjoyed it IF I'd see any kind of growth in the man. Something that said he really, honestly looked back on his life and examined it. There wasn't anything giving that impression.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2010 8:47:06 PM PST
CLS says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2010 6:21:28 AM PST
Roy Hobbs says:
Puh-lease. You did NOT read the book.

As for war crimes....what war crimes?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2010 6:25:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2010 6:26:03 AM PST
Roy Hobbs says:
F Smathers,

(You give yourself away with the right wing bashing, but nevertheless..)

OK, if you "know" that the books were ghostwritten, then you must know the person or persons who wrote them.
So my question to you: Who wrote their books?
Without an answer to that, you're just another blathering fill-in-the-blank.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2010 10:33:17 AM PST
L. Hathaway says:
Obviously you didn't read the book. He admits he signed off on torture. That's been a war crime for more than 50 years.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2010 6:31:28 AM PST
You have NO proof whatsoever that their books were ghostwritten!! How dare you say that without offering proof!! I am reading Decision Points and I LOVE the book. Who cares what you loser liberals think anyway??

BTW, Obama SUCKS as president!!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Decision Points forum
Participants:  51
Total posts:  83
Initial post:  Nov 8, 2010
Latest post:  Apr 17, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Decision Points
Decision Points by George W. Bush (Hardcover - November 9, 2010)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (1,593)