Customer Discussions > StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty forum

buyers beware -- do not read reviews, just buy it.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 97 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 27, 2010 9:35:25 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 24, 2011 5:01:30 PM PST]

Posted on Jul 27, 2010 9:42:42 AM PDT
David Wills says:
agreed. and to all those idiots talking about no LAN support? remember, starcraft 1 was release in 1998, back when not too many people had internet. of course they are going to allow LAN. but now that everybody has internet, and the fact that LAN brings up potential piracy problems? if you really cared about blizzard at all, you would understand why they have all this antipiracy stuff, and you'd want to give them as much money as you can for all of their amazing products.

Posted on Jul 27, 2010 10:34:44 AM PDT
Geekdomo says:
Exactly. My review mentions this very thing and already has 8 negative votes. People want to steal it and when they cant they feel ripped off.

Posted on Jul 27, 2010 10:36:03 AM PDT
M. Weir says:
A game is going to have piracy problems no matter what developers put in place to prevent it. So instead they take out features that alienate and anger long time fans of the franchise? "OMG we're going to force players into being logged into battle.net even during single player, take that pirates!!"

Purely delusional.

For every savvy gamer tired of corporate greed there are 10 who are buying the game blindly and in essence enabling these shady business practices for years to come. $60 for 1/3rd of a game? Forced internet connection for offline play? LESS features than its predecessor?

No thanks.

Posted on Jul 27, 2010 10:48:46 AM PDT
S. Hwang says:
people will find a way to crack and hack the game. they always do. its only hurting the honest customers.

Posted on Jul 27, 2010 10:49:43 AM PDT
Geekdomo says:
6 years of WOW ~ $936.00 so spending 60 on a game that requires you to log in OMG! What thievery. They are gonna get their comeuppance. Now shake your fist at the screen and shout the righteous indignation from the rooftops.

Posted on Jul 27, 2010 10:51:13 AM PDT
Chase says:
The actual game itself is amazing but you really got to question blizzard. Lately they have been really screwing with the customers. The forums RealID issue, now no LAN play, and need to be connected to play campain? really? Everyone knows that if someone wants to pirate the game, they can extremely easy. Wait a week and torrent it if you want to pirate, for those of us that pay the 10$ extra (60$ is crazy for a computer game) give us the game, dont make us play online.

Posted on Jul 27, 2010 10:59:23 AM PDT
teeoh says:
"Idiot reviewers"?
What do you not understand about this:

1. Only Terran campaign = $180 for the complete package.
2. No LAN Support means NO LAN PARTIES. LAN is what made the original Starcraft the absolute legend of an RTS that it still is today.

The issue is not only whether "too many people had internet" or not in 1998; the issue is playing the game under the same roof with the same ISP. What if you're at a new location with friends and decide to fire up starcraft 2, and oops, the wireless network is password protected, or- there isn't wireless available and there aren't enough ethernet cables, or- the connection can only support so many computers at a time, or- somebody on the same network is saturating the bandwidth and causing massive lag inside the game- and so on. Today wireless technology allows us to create computer to computer networks, which is perfect for LAN play. Blizzard has thrown away the use of that technology in Starcraft 2. Did you think about any of this before you labeled us as "idiots"? Perhaps you aren't seeing the whole picture? Maybe you never leave your computer chairs and have no need to socialize? That was a big part of Starcraft for me and, I'm quite certain, most other original players. The social event of playing Starcraft will simply be gone without LAN support.

So if you've got no need for LAN and have money coming out your ears, sure, it's great. Go ahead with your fiber optic internet and your $180 worth of SC that will allow lag free multiplayer games and all of the single player campaigns- but for everyone else in the world? The game is crippled and absurdly overpriced.

If Blizzard were to release an $80 package that included all of the campaigns and also supported LAN play, I would purchase it. Yeah, that's right, I would still be willing to pay 80 freakin' dollars for a *video game* (the original retailed for $30 or $40). But that is *still* too much to ask for. It just isn't going to happen; LAN play for normal users is over for Starcraft. My love of the series died with the removal of LAN and the milking of profits for the other two campaigns. No thanks, Blizzard. Have fun milking your cash cow until it's dry, dry, dry- I'll be over here enjoying my LAN supported games. Let me know if you ever realize what you've done to my favorite video game series of all time.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2010 11:00:04 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 24, 2011 5:01:31 PM PST]

Posted on Jul 27, 2010 11:03:40 AM PDT
Geekdomo says:
60$ is crazy for a computer game
Red Dead Redemption
Singularity with Bonus Exclusive Graphic Novel
God of War III: Ultimate Edition

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2010 11:03:46 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2010 11:05:17 AM PDT
Geekdomo says:
Exactly!

Posted on Jul 27, 2010 11:06:54 AM PDT
M. Stanley says:
yes, don't do any research whatsoever before buying the game, just throw your money at activision!!!

Posted on Jul 27, 2010 11:09:20 AM PDT
David Wills says:
first of all, when did blizzard EVER say that each new one would be 60 dollars? for all we know, they could be the expansions blizzard talked about at one of their press events, and im pretty sure every single blizzard expansion to this date has been $40.

secondly, how often do you really have LAN parties for modern games? seriously. do you have 4 different seperate gaming computers that people bring over and have four different outputs at every moment of the day? no. and having LAN in is not worth the loss of god knows how much money to pirates who will use that to torrent the games easier.

lastly, you may be whining now, but you and i both know that at least one of your little LAN buddies is gonna buy the game anyways, and he'll want to play with you online, so all of your other buddies are gonna buy it anyways, and so will you. so whining isnt going to get you anywhere. its only going to make you miss out on the best PC game of the year and maybe of the past 5-10 years.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2010 11:11:11 AM PDT

Posted on Jul 27, 2010 11:17:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 27, 2010 11:20:35 AM PDT
B. Farren says:
"6 years of WOW ~ $936.00 so spending 60 on a game that requires you to log in OMG! What thievery. They are gonna get their comeuppance. Now shake your fist at the screen and shout the righteous indignation from the rooftops. "

Last I checked, Starcraft 2 wasn't an MMO.

"Do you understand the loss due to piracy?
Do you understand the concept of INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS?
Do you understand the simple concept of MAKING MONEY?"

Do you understand that piracy can't be stopped, NO MATTER WHAT? People on the Battle.net forums are already mentioning a working crack.
Even if a game was completely unpiratable, do you honestly think pirates would buy that game? Of course they wouldn't.
Blaming piracy for a loss of money is ridiculous. Are you going to claim that people that simply don't buy (or pirate) games make companies lose money?

I don't agree with what pirates do, but I don't agree with what DRM does to people that buy their games.

"Just buy the damn thing already. "

A LAN option would effect whether or not certain people buy the game. If people that want LAN didn't read the reviews, I'm sure they would be awfully surprised to find that they couldn't play a LAN game.

Personally, I'd probably just buy it for the single player. I'm not sure about it though, as the ending is supposedly a cop out.

Posted on Jul 27, 2010 11:18:48 AM PDT
D. Zhao says:
I don't understand how you guys can just be blindly satisfied with a game and with a developer in such a way. If they want to charge $60, you guys say fine. If they want to take all your rights you have after you pay for a game, you guys say fine. If they only let you play the campaign in one race, you guys say fine too. What did Activision/Blizzard do to get such blind loyalty? Don't you guys see that this is a bad trend for PC games?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2010 11:20:09 AM PDT

Posted on Jul 27, 2010 11:21:28 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 27, 2010 11:26:33 AM PDT
B. Farren says:
All of the Dawn of War 1 games, Crysis, Borderlands, the whole Unreal Tournament series, Mount&Blade, all of the Doom/Quake games, and many others allow LAN play. If I'm not mistaken, it's even possible to play L4D on LAN (a friend told me about that, but I never had L4D).

Posted on Jul 27, 2010 11:24:53 AM PDT
B. Bykowski says:
Left 4 Dead 2 and Napoleon: Total War to name two. Both of which aren't even a year old. Hell Napoleon isn't even 6 months old.

Posted on Jul 27, 2010 11:27:26 AM PDT
David Wills says:
have you ever seen a game made by blizzard that was not fantastic? blizzard has way more control over activision than you think, moreso than activision over blizzard. blizzard is bringing in over 165 million dollars A MONTH from world of warcraft. at least. blizzard can do whatever the hell they want to their own games. activision has no say whatsoever.

the piracy problem, albiet i know piracy willl never go away, what blizzard and other DRM people are doing is making it HARDER for people to crack their games, or if they do, companies make it so that the cracked version is so much worse than the real version that customers just buy the real version instead. i can't tell you how many people i knew who originally pirated cod4, but then bought MW2 because the cracked servers were either terrible or nonexistant for the first month or so.

that is what blizzard is doing, and its working. they are going to make a ridiculous amount of money with starcraft 2, as they damn well should for making top quality titles.

Posted on Jul 27, 2010 11:28:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 27, 2010 11:29:37 AM PDT
B. Farren says:
As you can see, GetItGotItGood, there are many games that allow for LAN play. It's not an outdated concept!

" 60$ is crazy for a computer game
Red Dead Redemption
Singularity with Bonus Exclusive Graphic Novel
God of War III: Ultimate Edition"

Console games are almost always more expensive than PC games.

Posted on Jul 27, 2010 11:29:35 AM PDT
David Wills says:
and just because they allow for LAN play, how often do you actually utilize that feature honestly? how many times in the past year have you brought a bunch of computers together in one house and played your favorite game over LAN?

Posted on Jul 27, 2010 11:30:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 27, 2010 11:32:44 AM PDT
B. Farren says:
I've done it all of the time. LAN mode works over wireless connections. With laptops, settings up LAN games with my friends is extremely easy. They just have to connect in a few seconds (15 at most), and we start playing.

And no, DRM does not make it harder to crack games, judging from the crack that's already out for Starcraft 2.

Posted on Jul 27, 2010 11:32:41 AM PDT
B. Bykowski says:
Both sides have valid points. People reading the reviews should (always) take them with grain of salt. There are going to be people that completely trash a product because it lacks the smallest thing. On the flip side, there are going to be completely bias people who think the product or company can do no wrong. Read the reviews, determine what features it has, what features it lacks, and come up with your own conclusion on whether or not it's worth $60 to you. I played in the beta, read its features, and read to reviews. Personally, it's not worth $60 to me. It is, however, worth $50, so I'm going to keep an eye on it and buy it the first time it's on sale.

Which will probably be a few months, but I'm a patient person.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  26
Total posts:  97
Initial post:  Jul 27, 2010
Latest post:  Jul 28, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty
StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty by Blizzard Entertainment (Mac OS X, Windows 7 / XP)
3.4 out of 5 stars   (1,921)