Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Am buying a Kindle, What accessories are necessary?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 40 posts in this discussion
Posted on Apr 11, 2009 8:22:01 AM PDT
CarolinaCAW says:
Bufo, you're exactly right! I wasn't thinking about the synthetic...I would've bought the real leather (which probably isn't a bit better in the long run!) I do like that pebbled purple, too...hmmmm...I might talk myself into buying one, eventually, lol!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2009 8:05:18 AM PDT
Bufo Calvin says:
CarolinaCaw, my m-edge synthetic platform (and that's how you'll find it in the search at Amazon) was about $30...that's the same as the Amazon cover, right?

I can't judge relative merits, but I think it's comparable in price... :)

Posted on Apr 11, 2009 7:55:53 AM PDT
CarolinaCAW says:
I love my amazon cover! Looks very good, and night as pricey as others. (But if I was going to spend extra money, I'd get the M-edge Prodity in puple pebbled leather!) Amazon cover is so easy to fold back and read with it, although when I'm at home I read without it. I got the decalgirl skin "Starry Night' (Van Gogh), and I *LOVE* it!! Very classy, and not a bit distracting while reading. I also bought the Mighty Brite booklight, and use it when I'm away from home in a room without a good lamp (and when that happens, it's definitely worth the cost of the light!). I clip the light onto the top right edge of the K2 (without the cover) in a vertical position and it works great! You will LOVE your Kindle! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2009 6:40:22 AM PDT
Gemini says:
Great idea! I am a believer in AA convenience also, particularly when traveling overseas.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2009 6:22:33 AM PDT
Bufo Calvin says:
That's a great one for an accessory, S.!

People have also talked about the solar chargers, like the Solio, if you are out camping or otherwise off the grid.

You may also need adapters (but not transformers) for electricity in other countries.

Posted on Apr 11, 2009 6:18:04 AM PDT
S. Holsinger says:
For K1 owners, I found an "off-book" accessory that helps when you forgot to charge the thing before you left on a trip, and don't have your chrager cord. In airports and cellular stores, there are "emergency charger" kits put out by Energizer -- you put two AA batteries in a small case and plug the tip into your cell phone. One of these tips also fits the Kindle (1), and I have used this method to charge my K1 many many times. I am a HUGE fan of AA convenience. This may or may not be "Kosher" with respect to warranty, but I can vouch for my own experience in that I have used this method for a year and never had a contrary result. It seems the charge voltage from the cell charger is lower than that of the original power cord. The cell charger gets a littl warm (as it does when actually charging a cell phone), but otherwise everything is fine.

K2 users may also be able to benefit, as I understand the unit recharges from a mini-USB tip, and that tip is included with the emergency charger.

In this manner, I am able to charge BOTH my Kindle AND my cell phone, on the road, with one charger, using AA batteries. IT may not be for some, but it is GREAT for me. Thought I would share.

Posted on Apr 11, 2009 5:55:26 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 11, 2009 5:55:59 AM PDT
Bufo Calvin says:
P., it seems on sturdiness of the Kindle, it's a question of how it happens to hit something. Many of us have dropped our Kindles (knock virtual wood), and been okay. It's also been reported that it didn't take much to damage it. It may be a question of how it hits...is it on a corner? Is it face down? I think of mine (in its cover, anyway) as reasonably tough, but I do try and be careful with it. :)

Posted on Apr 10, 2009 9:18:09 PM PDT
Gemini says:
Woody,
Thanks for the good advice. I have my eye on a skin from decal girl and the codes will come in handy. Just received notice that my Kindle was shipped today. I have the standard Amazon leather cover coming with it. I am holding off on anything else until it arrives. Will consider the extended warranty, but can't say I'm a fan of those. There have been posts on accidental damage on dropping and complaints that the K2 is rather fragile. Definitely something to think about.

Posted on Apr 10, 2009 9:02:59 PM PDT
Woody says:
P. Schultz

I would definitely get a cover to protect your Kindle. The $30 one from Amazon works great, is thin and light and doesn't cost much. A skin (decalgirl.com has some very nice ones for $15) is not needed if you get a cover, but might be nice if you want to liven up your Kindle/give it a personality. If you buy from decal girl be aware of the following codes: PSPHome - gets you 15% off and Saver - gets you free shipping with a $30 order. The skins come off easily and do not leave a residue. I'm eye one of their new skins, Jazzy.

As for a light, you can always pick one up later at a local shop like Barnes and Noble. Most posters here seem to prefer the Mighty Bright XtraFlex2. I purchased one at B & N a week after I got my Kindle and have been very pleased with it. (The cost was around $15).

One other thing to consider is the extended warranty which will cover your Kindle even if you damage it, e.g. if you drop it (accidental damage coverage is for one incident only). This is optional and you'll hear various opinions about buying it. The $65 price is far from cheap, but I ended up getting it for the accidental damage coverage (no deductible). You have 30 days to purchase it and, even if you wait, there will be no shipping charge should you decide to buy after you've had your Kindle for a week or two.

Enjoy your Kindle.

Posted on Apr 10, 2009 5:32:15 PM PDT
R. Rousseau says:
I ordered the Belkin neoprene case. I like the scuba feel :O

Posted on Apr 10, 2009 5:30:46 PM PDT
Bufo Calvin says:
I like my m-edge synthetic leather platform cover. It had to work itself in a little bit, but it protects it well (knock virtual wood), is easy to hold, and folds into a reading easel, which is nice in a restaurant. :)

Posted on Apr 10, 2009 5:10:13 PM PDT
Esmerelda,

Now my cat is very willing to prop himself on top of the Kindle, but not the other way around!

Posted on Apr 10, 2009 4:49:19 PM PDT
....a cat, to prop your Kindle on when reading.

Posted on Apr 10, 2009 4:45:25 PM PDT
I can say that I had to remove a decalgirl skin so that I could return that K2 to Amazon. There was not a trace of adhesive or any damage of any kind to the K2. I don't think anyone could have known that there had been a skin on it. I can see no reason for any loss of value. I can't speak to any of the other brands of skin out there.

The other point from this experience is about re-positioning. That is possible while you are applying it if you have used a very light pressure in a small area. After you have really pressed it down, and it has been on a week or so, it is very hard to remove without damage to the SKIN, not the K2. The skin is made of vinyl and it stretches easily, and it is hard to get off without some stretch. After that, it doesn't fit very well. I've seen others here giving advice that these are re-positionable, implying they are reusable. That was definitely not my experience. Maybe someone else has a much lighter touch than I do, but a warning -- you probably can't take off a skin and then reapply unless you are very, very, very careful. I ordered a new one for my replacement K2.

Posted on Apr 10, 2009 3:30:21 PM PDT
Gemini says:
I can't imagine that a skin will reduce the value of your K2 (assuming they are properly put on and removed). If anything, I would guess that they provide some measure of protection so if you remove for resale, it would look fresher. Am I missing something here?

L. Benton.......

Someone suggested that Target (Walmart, etc) have cheaper cases for their 8.9" computers. I picked up one for my computer and although it will be a little large for my K2 I'm hoping it will work.......just something to slip my K2 (with standard Amazon cover) into. I paid $9.97 on clearance for a Belkin mini-laptop case. It's padded, has a handle and a clip on shoulder strap. You might look into something like that.

Posted on Apr 10, 2009 9:21:19 AM PDT
L. Benton says:
I have the amazon cover for my kindle and am well pleased (just a plain old country girl here). But, I would like something to slip it into to afford it a bit more protection when carrying it to and from work or the like. I don't want to remove it from the case just protect it more. Any suggestions?

Posted on Apr 10, 2009 6:56:13 AM PDT
Veena says:
If you want something like an Amazon cover- but a little more colorful- check out the new M-edge Go!
It's a slimmer no-frills design compared to the prodigy and executive covers. I'm thinking of getting one myself eventhough I do like using the K2 naked.

Decalgirl skins come off clean and can be repositioned. The skins are not for everyone but they will not reduce your retail value of your kindle.

Posted on Apr 10, 2009 6:42:34 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 14, 2012 10:58:40 AM PDT]

Posted on Apr 10, 2009 6:37:47 AM PDT
sf47 says:
skins are a great way (!) to destroy your opportunity to return to amazon and reduce retail value.

Posted on Apr 9, 2009 9:10:59 PM PDT
Lucy's Mom says:
I think the whole white being distracting thing is really on an individual basis. I never found the regular frame distracting, but decided to get a skin because my sunscreen was making the Kindle dingy looking. I bought a skin with a white background because I really don't like seeing the white edges peeking out from skins with other background colors. To be completely honest, I prefer the look of the Kindle with nothing on it, but the matte finish was just too hard to keep clean.

Posted on Apr 9, 2009 8:36:15 PM PDT
Gemini says:
Thanks! I picked out a white one because it seemed rather plain, but hadn't thought about the color white being distracting. Guess I'll look for something a little darker in color. Still haven't received my Kindle, but I'm so excited that I'm starting to look at all the bells and whistles. Think I'll wait until it comes and see what it looks like plain. Then I'll pick something subdued, but dark.

Posted on Apr 9, 2009 8:22:35 PM PDT
I think the general consensus here is that dark is better. The white border of the K2 can be a little distracting in itself. It's WHITE ! I have decal girl's ORIENT and I'm very happy with it. It is dark red and black and grey all mottled together (like an oil painting) with gold and yellow in the top part. A little white still shows around all the edges, but overall, it lessens the distraction of the white margin. I also like the feel of the skin because it is slick, but some people don't like them because they are also shiny. Depending on what light you use, they can throw off some glare. I've not found that a real problem, but others here have.

Posted on Apr 9, 2009 8:17:24 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 14, 2012 10:58:38 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2009 8:13:59 PM PDT
Gemini says:
Hadn't thought about a skin. They sure are cool looking. Are some of the more colorful ones distracting when you are reading??

Posted on Apr 9, 2009 7:23:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 9, 2009 7:24:15 PM PDT
M. Wells says:
I love the amazon cover if just for the only reason it seems to be the only one that takes advantage of the hooks so far and it doesn't add any bulk while still keeping it protected well enough for how I treat it. Not to mention the price isn't bad. I just don't like the idea of strapping my kindle in and having the corners and different areas of the device unaccessible or awkward because of them.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  40
Initial post:  Apr 9, 2009
Latest post:  Apr 11, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Kindle Wireless Reading Device (6" Display, U.S. Wireless)
Kindle Wireless Reading Device (6" Display, U.S. Wireless) by Amazon
4.3 out of 5 stars   (18,187)