Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for the Winter Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage R6 Siege Shop Now HTL

buying a Kindle book for someone else

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 264 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 17, 2009 5:48:02 PM PST
K. Nolt says:
I need to buy a book for someone else and do not own a Kindle myself. How do I shop online to purchase for her Kindle?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2009 11:54:46 AM PST
M. Lawson says:
Right now you can not buy a specific book for someone else's Kindle. Your only option is to give them an Amazon Gift Card so they can buy it themselves.

Posted on Dec 23, 2009 9:26:20 AM PST
This is very disappointing. Please develop book giving functionality for the kindle ASAP! If you want for this product to take off, people need to be able to buy books for other people.

Posted on Dec 25, 2009 11:29:14 PM PST
Derek Mak says:
Completely agree with Eric. I just bought a Kindle for my mother-in-law. She loves to read but she is unlikely going to download any book online. I would like to buy her a bunch of books from time to time.

Posted on Dec 26, 2009 8:57:16 AM PST
Jason Kaylor says:
This is the dumbest mistake. The braniacs that thought up this amazing device didn't have the marketing sense to enable it to allow others to buy you books. I've always thought Amazon was a bunch of idiots and this just proves it.

B10w me Amazon.

Posted on Dec 27, 2009 6:48:27 PM PST
R. French says:
This is just plain stupid and bad business. I should simply be able to buy the book and send it to whatever kindle I want.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2009 3:57:41 PM PST
I agree all my friends and family know I'm a bookworm who loves to read and getting books from them is a great gift for me this really stinks

Posted on Dec 31, 2009 10:08:20 PM PST
Cindy H. says:
I just wanted to add that the Kindle gift card (through Amazon) was the BEST gift out of all the presents I received this year. The gift card enables me to purchase whatever book I choose whenever I decide to do so. I've been a Kindle owner for over 2 years and I still say it is the best invention ever and my most favorite possession.

Posted on Jan 2, 2010 5:50:17 AM PST
Wholeheartedly agree with this thread! Bought one for my mom for Christmas and would like to buy her a few books for her new Kindle. Please add the ability to buy books for somebody else's Kindle! Just revenue sitting there for you to take Amazon!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2010 6:39:43 AM PST
I really don't see why they can't set up the ability for somone to purchase a book based on our registered email address I. Kindle email addrehave many friends and family who would happily spend 9.99 and up for books for me on a regular basis to bad amazon has not figured out this should be a fairly easy thing to setup just setup an option to purchase kindle books for a registered kindle email address and have those purchases added to our accounts same as we do for our accounts and problem solved revenue and book sales trippled this isant that hard to setup to link buying to our registered email addresses

Posted on Jan 11, 2010 1:17:30 PM PST
J. Lambeth says:
This functionality (specifying download to a different Kindle account - by registered email address, etc) is so obvious, that I've come to the conclusion it must open up some hole in the Digital Rights Management scheme. Why the heck else would they NOT do this?

In the very specific case of Derek Mak's mother-in-law (she won't go online herself) ... just leave the Kindle on your account. You can always buy for it then. You'll sure as heck know if she starts shopping for herself. ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2010 7:28:33 AM PST
BethSweet says:
I really don't want just anyone in the world to buy books that will fill up my Kindle when I turn on the wireless. Let me be the judge; give me a gift certificate!!

Posted on Jan 20, 2010 11:59:28 AM PST
S. Cousins says:
I agree with BethSweet. I don't want someone else picking my Kindle books any more than I want someone to go to a brick and mortar store and buy me paper books. I received an Amazon giftcard for X-mas through email, applied it to my Amazon account in literally less than 60 seconds and was immediately purchasing the Kindle books that I wanted! What a great gift!!!

Posted on Jan 20, 2010 3:33:41 PM PST
Me, too. My favorite Christmas present this year was my Amazon gift card. I spent the whole thing on Kindle books!

Posted on Jan 20, 2010 4:00:11 PM PST
I wish Kindle had the same capabilities that the Nook does...their eReader allows you to lend ebooks to any friends who have Nooks for up to two weeks. So cool! I'm getting one this week & cannot wait! Sorry Amazon...but with no memory card slot & no way of lending ebooks - the Nook outshines the Kindle big time.

Posted on Jan 20, 2010 7:07:32 PM PST
the thing that drives me nuts about the Kindle (which I completely love besides this one drawback) is that there is no way to organize your books. You can't alphabetize them or put them in folders or anything. I'd like to be able to categorize them, or at the very least alphabetize them. When you have a hundred books on there it's a pain to flip through them all!

But I agree about people buying books for me. I'm picky, just get me a gift card and let me pick.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2010 7:33:10 PM PST
S. Maciejewski - has anyone ever given you a book that changed your life? If so, then you would understand the value of receiving a book that you had not chosen for yourself. You do not speak for the majority when you suggest that receiving a book not chosen by you is undesirable. Personally, I give about a dozen books a year to friends and family and receive many books in return. For all of us, it is a source of great joy and inspiration. Please consider others when you publicly post that you have no desire for receiving book functionality. It is in fact forums like this one that influence popular opinion and even the software designers of kindle. Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2010 1:47:19 PM PST
S. Maciejewski we are kindred spirits. I agreee with you on everything. I would absolutely hate for someone to buy a kindle book for me for the simple reason that if I hate it I cannot give it away. It is kind of there forever. Maybe if they allowed the reader to choose whether to accept the book...I don't know...and of course I would give my kingdom for folders! By the way, I am all for more functionality and I hardly think anyone on here is suggesting otherwise.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2010 2:40:38 PM PST
Cindy H. says:
Wow, Mr. Kratzer, I believe S. Maciejewski is, in fact, totally within his/her right to post their opinion on this 'public' forum. I, too, agree that I prefer not to have books bought for me. We're all different and have different opinions, it's what makes the world go 'round.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2010 5:54:09 PM PST
J. Lambeth says:

The article in the paper today sais you could lend a Nook book (oh wow, like that was an accident?) once ever; and then only if the publisher consented to mark it shareable.

I'm disappointed, I was hoping more robust sharing would put pressure on Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2010 3:55:25 PM PST
Why not load Kindle for PC on your computer. Login as your mother-in-law, buy the books saving it to her kindle. When she turns on her kindle the books will appear.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2010 3:07:43 PM PDT
JT WestCoast says:
You sound more like an Amazon marketing plant than a basic consumer. How is a 'single point of use gift card' any better than getting a check or cash in your birthday card? Sure, I could buy any book I wanted with the $20 that gramma sends me, but that hardly makes it a great gift. (if you aren't a plant, I feel sorry for you and I apologize).
I have been so irritated that I can't buy a nice surprise gift for my friends that I know have kindles.

Posted on Apr 20, 2010 6:34:55 PM PDT
SG says:
Count me as another who is surprised and disappointed that you can't buy gift books for others' kindles. My mom took us on a fabulous trip, and my brother and I bought her a kindle. She loves it, and we looked forward to buying her books for it. If we had known this limitation, we might not have bought the thing. I sure hope Amazon fixes this soon.

I also think B&N got it right by having a "lending" function. I would like kindle to add this, but its absence doesn't stun me like the inability to give a gift.

I certainly understand the need to protect one's kindle against spam content. But that should be easy; just require the recipient to accept the gift before it is loaded, or some other method.

By the way, I also agree with the faction that LIKES it when others choose books they think I will like rather than just giving me a gift certificate or cash. Some of the books I have loved the best and that have meant the most to me have been those others have selected for me as gifts. Some I'd never heard of; some were treats or extravagances that I wanted but wouldn't have bought for myself. But that's a personal choice; some people only like cash as a gift, some appreciate the giver's having put thought into the choice more than the freedom to choose. I do agree that people are free to express their opinions, but I also agree that a preference for gift cards that is not universally shared by all or most customers does not render this defect in the kindle system unimportant, as some seem to be suggesting.

I was one of Amazon's early customers and have been very loyal, even though B&N gives me member discounts, free shipping on only $10 purchases, etc. I just like Amazon. But this is really annoying.

Posted on Apr 22, 2010 2:21:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 22, 2010 2:23:43 PM PDT
Kay A says:
I wish someone could buy me a book for my Kindle using my wish list, not that it would every happen, but it would be nice.
I probably have about 100 books on my wish list waiting for me to buy.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2010 3:49:11 PM PDT
Nadine Russo says:
I vote for that !!!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  164
Total posts:  264
Initial post:  Dec 17, 2009
Latest post:  Apr 21, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 24 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (Mass Market Paperback - June 23, 2009)
4.0 out of 5 stars (5,529)