I want to set this camera up on a cabin with no internet. I have internet service about 10 miles away. Will it work?
asked by Jaspersmom on February 2, 2013
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 answers
A
You don't necassarily need internet unless you want to be able to access the video from a remote location. If you have an old computer and a wifi router you can still set it up to record to the computer (with additional software) but unless you have these items laying around doing nothing, it would be more economical to purchase a hardwired system that comes with it's own dvr. Either way you would still have to be onsite to check the video.
Jeff answered on February 28, 2013
Comment (1) | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
You will initially need to hard wire the camera into the Internet to set it up but once it's done you can disconnect the Ethernet cable. However you would still need a wi-fi connection to operate the camera from your computer or iPad/android etc.
My advice would be to either install the Internet to the cabin or if this is not possible you would need to look at a different system. An ip camera system will always need some sort of Internet connection.
Mr Tapp answered on February 2, 2013
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
In a word: no. It relies on an Internet connection to transmit the video.
DavidG-NYC answered on February 4, 2013
Comment | 0 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
You do have to have the internet at the cabin for this camera to work.
BeachGal answered on February 2, 2013

A
I don't believe that will work. The only way it would is your wifi has a 10 mile plus signal range. The camera needs to connect to wifi to then to the internet
Nik Mead answered on February 2, 2013

A
I don't believe that will work. The only way it would is your wifi has a 10 mile plus signal range. The camera needs to connect to wifi to then to the internet
Nik Mead answered on February 2, 2013

A
No. You will need an internet connection.
Don answered on February 2, 2013

A
No
Richard Palmatier answered on February 2, 2013

A
No. Ip cameras rely on being connected to the internet to send out the signal so you can see it from a different internet connection.
Timothy Bower answered on February 2, 2013
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product