Does this camera take good moving photos? My kids won't sit still for pictures and i am looking for a camera to take good pictures of them
asked by J. Rodriguez on January 28, 2013
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 answers
A
I took 100's of pictures on a short trip - most of them of my grandchildren. The youngest is a shaker and mover too. ;) He is ALWAYS in motion. I probably had to delete 6-8 photos of the 200 for movement (mine or theirs). One of the events I attended was a pizza party and my pictures of the children (who were moving constantly) turned out great. This camera also takes videos, but I haven't played with that yet. I was very pleased with this camera overall. I am not sure how it would do in sports applications or constant movement, but I assure you the toddler never sat, stood or posed - and I still able to get some great pictures.
Jill B. answered on January 29, 2013
Comment (1) | 5 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
It's not clear that this 100-level camera in the Elph hierarchy (100, 300, and 500-level cameras) was initially intended, even in its improved 110 version, to sell at a price comparable to, or higher than, the current 300-level and 500-level Elves. But the market and "Consumer Reports"ratings have helped make it the favorite of of thousands of Canon/Elph fanciers (I'm one myself, having moved from the SD780 to the SD1400 to the SD4000 to the Elph 300, which is my current favorite).

The Elph 110 has a big, sharp screen, which is mostly for the benefit of the user (I miss the viewfinder on my ultra-tiny SD780,). The Elph 300 is the most user-friendly Elph I've owned, it captures low-light images without flash or a tripod, and, to answer your question, in continuous shooting mode it's been measured at 3.5 fps (frames per second) vs. the 110's slower 2 fps. (Canon claims the Elph 300 has a Burst Mode of 8 fps. I don't recall seeing any such claim on behalf of the 110.) Instead, what I'm seeing is prices for the Elph 300 that are half those for the 110. Besides the bright screen, the 110 throws in a few more pixels (16 vs. 12) which, as experienced photographers know, is meaningless, mere bait for consumers who count pixels, thinking "the more the better." Finally, the 110 boasts a "Digic Processor 5," which seems to separate it from the field. That really sounds ahead of the curve--until you check out the yet-to-be-released Canon Elph 340, which will come out in 2014 with the proven Digic Processor 4.

In short, the Elph 300 currently appears to be the value play among all of the Elves. Moreover, it's definitely a camera to have close at hand for those pictures of pets and children, which demand fast continuous shooting, leaving the picture-taker with the largest number of images to select from. For fast action, I'd place my bets on the faster, less expensive, Elph 300.

[These cameras have so few controls (no touch screen) and are so intuitive that many users immediately put the camera on one of 2 settings--Auto or the Movie Button--and are off and running. The results are good enough to discourage deeper, fuller investigation. But only by downloading the manual of an Elph from the Canon site (most are close to 200 pp.) is it possible to take full advantage of the camera's full potential. (I didn't even realize that my Elph 300 had automatic face detection. Once it's set, the camera's shutter is automatically tripped when it "sees" a smile. Rather than tell my 4 grandchildren that I want them to smile, I tell them that the camera--with no help from me--won't shoot them until they look at it and smile. It gets their attention and works like "magic" from their perspective. You might wish to check out the 110 for "automatic face detection."]
Caponsacchi answered on January 27, 2014
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product