Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale
Can this camera be used as a webcam? I would like to know if I could use this camera as a webcam? I would like to use the Flip Video Cam as a portable video camera and also as a webcam.
asked by A. Osorio on December 18, 2008
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 answers
A
No, it does not have the ability to live stream and once connected to the computer you lose the ability to record. I asked them before
G. Halog answered on December 18, 2008
Comment | 6 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
? must we have only the software and a connector, or do we NEED a TV tuner for this process?
john long answered on March 26, 2011
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
And oh, I forgot one more thing. I used a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR950 USB TV Tuner to connect and stream video from my camcorders to my PC. Actually I had purchased the TV Tuner in order to be able to watch and record live TV on my PC / laptop (and BTW, WinTV worked great for me - many other similar products did not) - then I saw that my WinTV had this extra feature of being able to stream video and audio signals from other sources like a DVD player or camcorder to the PC thru it. That got me thinking about streaming and recording on the hard drive live video from a camcorder to my PC / laptop. Once I got that to work with the camcorder, I started wondering if I could stream live camcorder video to the internet telephony / chat programs like Skype, Yahoo messenger, MS Messenger etc (which now have a video chat feature) for video-chatting with some of my folks who live abroad. Further research on the Internet led me to the Orangeware wcdv_2_1.exe program which enabled my camcorder to successfully interface with the video chat programs via WinTV.
sbansban answered on December 20, 2008
Comment | 2 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
That is so helpful!! I have been trying to figure that out for a while for skype and stuff because my friends cant see me when i get online. I have a flip camera and i was trying to see if you could use it as a webcam! THANKS!!!
Jennifer Hale answered on February 21, 2011
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
YES, YOU CAN!!!! I have done it. There is only one software that allows any camcorder (not just flip) to be used as a webcam. And the improvement in quality is stunning. The pictures produced by webcams are no match at all for the quality that camcorders deliver. this software really unlocks the full range of capabilities of a regular camcorder - like zoom, picture quality etc etc. Best of all, the software is cheap (around $20 I believe - I downloaded and used it a while ago and have forgotten the exact details). You can download it from http://www.orangeware.com/endusers/webcamdv.html. They do allow you to try it out for free - but only for a few minutes and only once. I have used several of my camcorders including the older Flip Ultra (Non-HD) version with this software from my PC. One of my camcorders I used uses 8 mm tapes - it had an issue with turning itself off automatically if left inactive for some time - but I searched the net and found that the way to keep it on is to take the tape out. Anyway, I hope it works out for you.
sbansban answered on December 20, 2008
Comment | 1 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product