Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eric Clapton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS
Customer Discussions > OUYA Console forum

can this replace android stick?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 5, 2013 6:31:28 AM PST
will this run chrome browser? have access to google play apps? flash support?

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 9:02:36 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 5, 2013 9:02:55 AM PST
Josh says:
"For developers, open means that any developer can publish a game - if you've got a game, you can put it on OUYA. You can price your game however you like - it's your game! We just want to help you bring it to life on the TV. Just make some part of the experience free to the OUYAs. We use open-source software and standard chipsets - we're on Android because developers are speaking the language. Our chipsets aren't proprietary or secretive - open OUYA up and have a look! We'll even publish the hardware design if people want it.

For hackers: root it. Go ahead. Your warranty is safe. Even the hardware is hackable. Want to get inside? You'll need a standard screwdriver and nothing more. Go to town. We have standard USB ports and Bluetooth, so you'll even be able to create your own peripherals."

source:
http://www.ouyaconsole.com/ouya-console-to-be-open-source-with-free-to-play-games/

If it's completely open-source it's only a matter of time until a programmer creates a web-browser for it. I'm guessing they're waiting for companies like Google to create their own Chrome-App for it, since it seems like it's just a small project trying to make it big.

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 9:16:28 AM PST
I am developing for the system so as far as for google play store, no it will not have direct access to it. Any game from google play could be put on Ouya but the developer would have to decide that and recode it to work with the controller, to be a console game.

But the controller comes with a touchpad so a developer could possibly upload a game and have users only use that, but i see bad reviews coming from someone who does that.

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 9:16:48 AM PST
Adam A. says:
I don't know how well this system will do, Xbox and Playstation are already starting their rumors about their new consoles, and Steam is starting a new console (which seems similar to Ouya but funded by a much larger organization with VERY friendly developer tools).

What extra does this console have to offer?

Does it offer Netflix or Hulu? What can consumers benefit from this? It seems like this introduction to Amazon was quiet and leaves no questions answered.

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 11:09:15 AM PST
nVIDIA Tegra 3 Quad-Core / Memory: 1GB RAM

I read that Tegra 4 will come out in June (rumored) along with a few tablets having it. Will this be outdated by the time it's released? I'll hold off before purchasing. Never been first day release purchaser anyway. Seems interesting though.

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 1:12:20 PM PST
Philip Brown says:
this will be a streaming media HOG. It will stream Netflix and Hulu as they have already both said they will add support for the OUYA

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 1:15:14 PM PST
Ace Crusher says:
Its using a new version of Tegra 3... full powered as this system doesn't have to play nice for battery life.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 1:17:04 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 5, 2013 1:17:41 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 3:07:20 PM PST
Jared says:
cool

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 6:53:02 PM PST
mike says:
my first thought was "tegra 3?!"

my nexus 7 has trouble chugging along with a tegra 3.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 8:03:45 PM PST
1GB RAM is what worries me about it... but then again, just because my Droid Bionic has trouble playing games with 1GB RAM, that may be due to everything else it's dealing with in the background. Personally, I preferred it when I had a tiny cellphone with a physical keyboard and a cheaper bill attached to it, and when I carried a Game Boy around for games separately. I never complained about anything freezing and locking up all the time as I have been with the my last two "smart" phones (Droid X/Bionic). I will probably get this because it's cheap; hopefully, I'll get a chance to play all of the Google Play games I've purchased, but I've never really played due to the constraints of my multitasking phone.

Is it even a feature to download software you've previously purchased on your Google Play account via the OUYA? That would be very, very tempting...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2013 6:26:07 AM PST
Howard says:
>
my first thought was "tegra 3?!"

my nexus 7 has trouble chugging along with a tegra 3
>

Nvidia's Project Shield is in the wings and is powered by a Tegra 4.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2013 11:43:10 PM PST
Jonathan says:
You hit the nail on the head - a phone, no matter what else you put on it, still has to be a phone and on the lookout for calls and texts. Chances are you're not putting it into airplane mode either, which means the wireless is eating at your battery life too, and that's before we account for any apps or other processes that are running.

With a for-all-intents-and-purposes unlimited power supply, I'm interested to see what the Tegra 3 can do. Also keep in mind that reports are saying they're going to continually upgrade the hardware as much as their price point allows as better tech becomes cheaper.

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 5:19:58 AM PST
Yes, in this economy everyone want to save even if it's a few bucks. The console even being open have the right idea but they are making a separate ecosystem where this is different from Android stick. OUYA IS ASKING US to shell out money from our wallet that is separate purchase from google play store. SO IF I HAVE google phone I am buying those games but I can't play it on my TV (OUYA). Yes I am aware of free trial or free to play but it's not really free I am assuming its in game purchase type of free games. Which bring back the original question why should I choose this over a better implement and more powerful Android stick that will come out!

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 6:19:02 AM PST
CDR says:
@Howard
Your Nexus 7 chugs along? Man... mine never has an issue.
Tegra 3 is plenty powerful for what they are doing with this right now...
If someone actually develops games specifically for this, we may see it peak... but I think it will be fine.

Yes, the Sheild will use the Tegra 4... and be more expensive... and the most compelling part of it requires you to have a higher end Nvidia card in your PC.
Love the idea, but that's quite an investment.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 8:34:01 PM PST
Jeremy says:
No, it's definitely not a replacement for an Android set-top box. It's a gaming platform. The specs look decent enough but not for an HTPC.. Where is the Optical audio port, DTS, no surround sound hookups to your stereo? Not there. Composite video for your projector? Nope. A/V? Don't see it. How about a SATA hard drive enclosure? People won't be taking this device seriously for HTPC, but it definitely has the balls to run some interesting 3D games and will do entry level home theater setups, no doubt.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 8:59:32 PM PST
Actually since its open does this mean there is a possibility that we can side loads games from Amazon and Play store? But again most of those games does not support controller so maybe a bad idea to begin with!!

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 2:12:57 AM PST
Tony Tuttle says:
Well I am glad that I read more into this as I was almost ready to plunk down some money for this as I have really been on the fence on getting a MX1, one of the next gen Google STB, a Kickstarter Android Gaming stick or the Ouya, but now am realizing that I really am probably not any closer then I was a few months ago, but probably still leaning towards a MX1. I have a ATV2, a Xbox 360, but hardly use either one anymore, just would really like to have something with a browser and flash support and something with Plex and/or XBMC that could access my Time Capsule or my Mac Mini for my media files..

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2013 1:52:51 PM PST
BBB says:
Well for one, it's at least $250 dollars less than the PS4, and you can use it as a pretty good Android PC. I do not know if the PS4 will have productivity software or allow Linux like the PS3 did in the beginning, but you can be certain the Ouya will and at a much better pricepoint.

If you can use Netflix or Hulu through Android, you can through Ouya.

The news is certainly abrupt for some! But here it is. Check out the website for more info! http://ouya.tv

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 7:02:45 AM PST
Taero says:
Gotta say, I'll be getting a PS4 (never really liked the Microsoft ecosystem as a whole but have always been happy with psone and two) but for $99? This is in impulse buy territory for me, I'll be waiting to see the pricing of the games though as if they're all full price then it's a no go, I'll already be buying full priced games for my console. If they're priced more along mobile/lower steam games then sure I can see myself getting this. The size is a big bonus too, carry with you level.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 7:05:35 AM PST
Taero says:
Also there will be a new version of the ouya every year (announced by the developers but correct me if I'm mistaken and that was for something else...) so if you get an ouya with tegra 3 this year and buy games for it, get the tegra 4/5 next year and still have all your games. It's basically paying for an upgradeable console experience, if you look at the PS4 then its a beast compared to the ouya, but will be 4-5x as expensive (most likely). However as components leapfrog ahead and get cheaper the ouya will update with those components. I guess the idea is to never become outdated.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 7:06:47 AM PST
Taero says:
Well...unless you have something like a Galaxy S3 which CAN have the picture displayed on your TV...just saying (though I understand how unlikely it is someone would go out and buy the adapters, just that it's possible).

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 12:35:00 AM PST
Jonathan says:
Considering most of the games are indie, I doubt you're going to see anything in the $40-$60 range. Think more of the XBLA ecosystem in terms of content and price.

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 11:03:35 AM PDT
B. Kelly says:
I'll probably just build a PC for cheap and play with Steam Big Picture Mode until they drop a SteamBox with a good price/hardware performance ratio. I have a phone to play the little android games, I have a PS3 and PC to play the more complex AAA titles, and there really aren't too many games that would require new hardware in between those two groups.

No games looked inspirational enough to drop $100 on new hardware.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2013 8:39:57 AM PDT
to put it in perspective the Xbox 360 has 512 ram in it
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  OUYA Console forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  26
Initial post:  Feb 5, 2013
Latest post:  Jun 23, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions