WD TV HD Media Player
Used & New from: $159.00
WD TV HD cannot play VOB files? just got my WD TV i was so excited to try it on my HDTV using my VOB file movies inside my 500GB WD passport and thru HDMI
and it failed to open up my VOB files saying that it is not supported
any ideas?
Arcsoft software Media converter is also very slow in converting VOB files to supported files for WD TV
asked by Bernhurd Andrew Moreno on March 7, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 answers
A
votes
I too can play vob files with the latest 1.01.02 (12/2008) firmware. But one subtle thing I noticed: It's Only when the .vob files are in a properly-named VIDEO_TS folder will the WD "logically concatenate" all the VOBs as one movie. In other words, the play progress reflects the entire movie length, allowing ff & rewind across VOBs, with seamless playback from one file to the next.

I do wish though, that the WD was smart enough to see a dvd file structure and allow the "play" button to be pushed at the folder level. It's a bit cumbersome to have to drill 2 more levels, select the first VOB file, then hit play.
P. Wieselquist answered on March 20, 2009

A
votes
You can also rip the dvd as an ISO file. Then you just have one file to choose from and it doesn't need to be in a VIDEO_TS folder. The only hiccup with this approach is that you only want to rip the movie. The wdtv doesn't understand the dvd structure in an iso file.
Jonathan J. Reseburg answered on March 23, 2009

A
votes
The latest fw allows me to play vobs with no issue.
ultrabike answered on March 12, 2009

A
votes
There is a great forum for all kinds of WDTV information and help. They also have an area for hacking the player and using to play additional formats. Its at WDTVforum.com
James Young answered on March 31, 2009

A
votes
Just rename it to mpg. I had some music videos that I ripped from some dvds and renamed them to mpg and they worked fine but I had renamed them long ago so I never knew about this problem.
Ph0lly answered on March 10, 2009
‹ Previous   1   Next ›