canon rebel xsi error 01 I just got a new rebel xsi. It's great, but used with the tamron 18-270mm, it frequently fails to shoot and comes up with the message: "Error 01. Faulty communication between camera and lens. Clean lens contacts." I've already cleaned the contacts on both lens and camera more than 5 times, but the problem persists. What could be the cause and solution?
asked by J. Ho on October 24, 2008
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 11-20 of 45 answers
A
Yup, already working on it.
Scott C. Smith answered on March 23, 2010
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The first xsi I purchased from Amazon constantly errored 01 with the kit lens. I wasn't going to hassle with it and sent the camera back for an exchange. Amazon quickly exchanged and my new xsi is working flawlessly. No problems with the kit lens and no problem with my recently purchased Sigma 18-200 OS and Sigma 50 macro lens.
That Girl answered on May 3, 2010

A
interesting I have the exact same problem. The problem started about a month after purchasing this camera
Theodora Madekurozwa answered on June 18, 2010

A
I have not used my brand new camera for a few months now. seems I have no choice but to buy a new lens, i will not recommend this camera to any one
Theodora Madekurozwa answered on June 18, 2010
Comment | 0 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Theodora, if you are using a genuine Canon lens you should contact Canon about getting the camera lens repaired. My experiences with Canon customer service has been very positive.
Tom Martin answered on June 18, 2010

A
Its not the lens most likely, its probably the camera. None of my lenses fixed the problem. I returned the camera to Amazon.
Scott C. Smith answered on June 18, 2010

A
If you are using a non-Canon lens that confuses the issue, and may cause problems trying to get it repaired under warrenty. There are many older 3rd party lenses that can cause that error.
Tom Martin answered on June 18, 2010

A
I have had the same issue with my new T1i I got from Amazon yesterday. I did not order a lens kit since I have lenses from my older Rebel XS. The camera works fine regardless of the lens (Canon or Tamron) indoors but once outside in sunlight the Tamron lens gives me the Er01 code. After cleaning the lens contacts several times when I go back outside I get the same error. With the 18-55mm lens that came with the XS it works fine. So that tells me the problem is with the lens. After some searching I discovered that Canon changes it's internal software and algorithms with each new model so although there is nothing wrong with my Tamron 70-300mm lens it will not work on my new body. Canon's suggestion, buy their 70-300mm lens. At $1600 that is not an option. So my next option is to visit a box store and try different lenses until I find the right one that works then buy that one.
Michael Mann answered on February 20, 2011

A
Once in a while, there are third-party lenes that turn out to be incompatible with a particular new Canon DSLR model. In such cases, the lens needs to be sent back to the manufacturer for a firmware update. If your lens is still under warranty, this may be done for free.

The problem you describe sounds like sounds like an issue with the Tamron' aperture diaphram. It may be that the lens' firmware is incompatible with the T1i OR it could be a sticky aperture diaphram in the Tamron which needs to be repaired. To test this, switch to AV mode and set the apeture to f/11 and take a number of shots with each camera. You can also try setting the aperture to f/16 and look into the lens while pressing the DOF Preview button. You should be able to see the aperture close down smoothly with each press of the DOF Preview button.

Whatever the case, my advice is to send the lens in to Tamron factory service with your warranty documentaion and describe the problem to them.

BTW, the $1500 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM UD is the professional version of the 70-300. The consumer grade IS version runs a bit over $500. Tamron has a new image stabilized version of their 70-300 which runs a bit under $500. Avoid the cheap Canon 75-300 due to its poor optics and lack of image stabilization.
Technology Guy answered on February 20, 2011
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
This error message is usually a problem between the brass contact posts inside the lens that have to meet up perfectly with the brass connectors inside the Canon body. Each time you take the lens off it can affect the internal springs that keep the posts pressing against the connectors. They are very, very hard to fix/replace/repair.
Ian Fawn-meade answered on February 25, 2011
Comment | 0 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   5   Next ›