canon rebel xsi error 01 I just got a new rebel xsi. It's great, but used with the tamron 18-270mm, it frequently fails to shoot and comes up with the message: "Error 01. Faulty communication between camera and lens. Clean lens contacts." I've already cleaned the contacts on both lens and camera more than 5 times, but the problem persists. What could be the cause and solution?
asked by J. Ho on October 24, 2008
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 45 answers
A
Its not a compatibility problem. With Canon lenses, its generally either dirty contacts (these carry the power and the signals between the camera and lens) or a faulty IS unit in the lens. Try cleaning the contacts on the lens and camera. You can either use a tiny amount of >90% alcohol on a lint free cloth or rub lighly with a pencil eraser taking EXTREME CARE not to get any shavings in the camera body. If this doesn't solve the problem, you need to either return the lens (probably the best option if possible) or send it in for servicing. Since its a refurb, you probably only have a 30 or 90 day shop warranty so time is an issue.
Technology Guy answered on February 19, 2009
Comment | 5 of 7 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Hey Guys, I get same error on Rebel XS, It has 17-55 mm lense. I bought 2 months ago and within a month I got this error. I took mah camera to Canon service center. They checked and told me there is problem with mother board of camera, it needs to be replaced. Or else this error will intermittenet.
Rakshit Bhatia answered on December 4, 2009
Comment | 3 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Canon also makes its share of defective products. No manufacturer has a 100% defect free record. Third party lens manufacturers have a useful role making certain types of lenses that Canon doesn't and in addressing different price points for the lenses it does.
Technology Guy answered on November 6, 2008
Comment | 2 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Once in a while, there are third-party lenes that turn out to be incompatible with a particular new Canon DSLR model. In such cases, the lens needs to be sent back to the manufacturer for a firmware update. If your lens is still under warranty, this may be done for free.

The problem you describe sounds like sounds like an issue with the Tamron' aperture diaphram. It may be that the lens' firmware is incompatible with the T1i OR it could be a sticky aperture diaphram in the Tamron which needs to be repaired. To test this, switch to AV mode and set the apeture to f/11 and take a number of shots with each camera. You can also try setting the aperture to f/16 and look into the lens while pressing the DOF Preview button. You should be able to see the aperture close down smoothly with each press of the DOF Preview button.

Whatever the case, my advice is to send the lens in to Tamron factory service with your warranty documentaion and describe the problem to them.

BTW, the $1500 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM UD is the professional version of the 70-300. The consumer grade IS version runs a bit over $500. Tamron has a new image stabilized version of their 70-300 which runs a bit under $500. Avoid the cheap Canon 75-300 due to its poor optics and lack of image stabilization.
Technology Guy answered on February 20, 2011
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
How did you clean the contacts? Are you sure you turn the lens completely so that it firmly locks in place? Just asking.

Well, assuming there's nothing obviously wrong with the contacts, its either the lens or the camera. If the camera works fine with other lenses then you need to send the lens into Tamron factory service. If other lenses also cause the error, you need to send the camera into Canon factory service (note: in this case, do not mention the offending lens was made by Tamron and not Canon).
Technology Guy answered on October 24, 2008
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I'm having the same problem with a Canon EFS 17-55 lens that I just purchased. I purchased it refurbished off of Amazon. Used it today and consistently got that errror screen about every 10 shots or so. VERY frustrating. Does anyone know if this just shows up when a lens and camera aren't compatible?
Emily answered on February 19, 2009

A
Mine is a new Canon t2i. Its not the IS mechanism, the 50 and the 17-35 don't have IS.
BTW, power cycling the camera only helps for a shot or two, then the error comes back.
Scott C. Smith answered on March 23, 2010

A
If possible, you should exchange your T2i for another unit.
Technology Guy answered on March 23, 2010

A
Yup, already working on it.
Scott C. Smith answered on March 23, 2010

A
The first xsi I purchased from Amazon constantly errored 01 with the kit lens. I wasn't going to hassle with it and sent the camera back for an exchange. Amazon quickly exchanged and my new xsi is working flawlessly. No problems with the kit lens and no problem with my recently purchased Sigma 18-200 OS and Sigma 50 macro lens.
That Girl answered on May 3, 2010
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   5   Next ›

See all questions about this product