Will this work in a ceiling fan? i.e. enclosed space? In two cases where I used LEDs, I had problems with "ghosting - light does not turn off.

Does anyone know about "ghosting" (my term), where the LED continues to cast light even when the power is off? If you have not seen this phenomon then you may not understand the issue. The issue is not will the LED last, the issue is the light will not shut off. It may or maynot be related to the LED overheating, I have not run them long enough for any of my 20 plus LEDs to not fail.
[UPDATED] asked by Joe Smith on November 24, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 answers
A
votes
Yes, it does work in a ceiling fan. A caveat though. Notice the metal heat sink and realize that light will be directed forward in the direction the bulb is pointed and not backward. No big deal, but I just mention that because if you have glass globes, depending on their shape and orientation, the globe's glass behind the heat sink will not be illuminated. This just gives the globe a slightly different look than perhaps what you may be used to seeing.
crimsongator answered on November 24, 2012

A
votes
Being in a ceiling fan fixture shouldn't have any bearing on ghosting with these, Mine have never exhibited a ghosting effect. Generally CFLs are more known for that due to the phosphorescence coating inside the glass. I use my LEDs in track-light cans in my kitchen and am very happy with them. I've also got one in my son's bedroom lamp and one in my front porch light.
Rex R. Schultrich Jr. answered on November 24, 2012

A
vote
I'm not sure, as I haven't encountered the 'ghosting' phenomena. I have it in a ceiling fixture and it shuts off when I shut off the switch. I do have a CFL in a fixture wired to a timer. If I use the timer to shut if off it goes into a sort of strobe behavior for about 10 seconds or so. If I shut it off with a switch it shuts right off. I haven't tried the LED bulb in that fixture (I'm waiting for the CFL to burn out). It sounds as if the ghosting might have more to do with the switch than with the fixture (if you've got anything other than a simple switch on it).
Dave Hoffsommer answered on November 24, 2012

A
votes
Yes, these work fine in ceiling fans. We have them in several ceiling fans. Some of the cheaper LED Light bulbs that I got from Sam's Club had the ghosting problem you spoke of. They were early LED Bulbs from lights of America and total garbage. These are much better light bulbs. Technology is much improved. The only thing I would be wary of is if a LED bulb(Any brand of LED Bulb) is in an enclosed space such as canned lighting and is on for long periods of time 10+ hours a day constantly. The heat sink gets extremely hot and begins to struggle to dissipate the heat. If that is the case the bulb may prematurely fail. But no ghosting happens with these at least from what I have seen.
Bethy answered on November 25, 2012

A
votes
I am using mine in a ceiling fan (the fixtures are not fully enclosed, they are the bell-shaped type that are open on one end) and they are fine. I also am using one in an open in-ceiling can fixture, for downlighting. They are great and very bright. The only annoyance I have noticed is that sometimes one of the bulbs emits a high pitched buzz. It doesn't happen all the time and I've not diagnosed the cause. Overall, I'm thrilled with these bulbs, though. They are VERY bright for 9 watts.

I have had no problems with ghosting at all.
PetalumaGirl answered on November 26, 2012

A
vote
I do operate (4) of these lights in my ceiling fan and have no issues. The room is a lot brighter than the Compact Flourescent bulbs they replaced. I have ordered over (30) bulbs, some do give a little buzz most don't. Im still pleased with the purchases.
Randy
celtic answered on November 27, 2012

A
vote
I purchased Cree LED light bulbs at Home Depot which seemed to solve the problem. Apparently these bulbs are more efficient (lumens per watt), which implies to me less heat is being generated. These bulbs are also cast a more diffused light that other LED bulbs. Note that LED can lights are designed for the can enclosure, which is not true for LED light bulbs. Someone mentioned dimmers not working. I have found out that the dimmer needs to specify that it will work with LED lights to work properly.
Joe Smith answered on October 2, 2013

A
votes
I am almost certain it will not last long. Cooling is still a big problem with LEDs, most of them quickly overheat in enclosed space and die.
Vlad G answered on November 24, 2012

A
votes
This particular high efficiency lamp runs quite cool. It should do fine in an enclosed fixture (I run one of them in one). Never seen ghosting. However, the light is directed downwards and depending on the fixture, the aesthetics will be different (not necessarily worse though).
RoyTech answered on November 25, 2012

A
votes
They are fine in ceiling fans. I have not had any ghosting.
Bethy answered on November 25, 2012
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›