Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

Why did they change the iconic Master Chief's armor??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 35 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 22, 2011 11:05:41 AM PDT
I can't say anything about 343 since they still have guys from Bungie... but i really don't like what they did to the armor. It's nowhere near as handsome and masculine as the original. And it doesn't make a lick of sense either! Chief went in the cryo pod at the end of Halo 3. Then comes out for the trailer in a brand new armor? WTF!! The cryo pod was busy developing the suit while he's sleeping?

Posted on Aug 22, 2011 6:03:03 PM PDT
R. Sawyer says:
It wasnt all that different when he came in the trailer. He supposedly encountered new species of aliens and technology and got some armor.

Posted on Aug 24, 2011 2:39:18 PM PDT
another reason is that they say that he lost some armor in the events of the end of halo 3 i dont agree with it but its a reason he is slimmer

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2011 8:35:32 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2011 11:29:20 AM PDT
Adam Wilson says:
In case you have forgotten, the books were based on the Halo series, not the other way around. Besides, Reach gave everybody a whole new understanding of what happened before the events of Halo: CE.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2011 1:40:54 PM PDT
How was Reach a sin?

Posted on Aug 29, 2011 4:22:58 PM PDT
Kamrin says:
Reach is NOT a sin. And the Art Just looks like that, the Trailer shows his armor looking the same as in Halo 3. I do not like the box art however and I hope its changed.

Posted on Aug 30, 2011 12:15:16 AM PDT
Relytia says:
Relax. The art director for Halo 4 has revealed that Master Chief has actually gone through three new iterations since this reveal. 343 is trying to balance being able to do something new and refreshing, while still staying true to Halo's foundation of awesomeness. The fact they care so much makes me feel really confident and excited for the directions they'll be taking everything in Halo 4, including going deeper into John's character, as well as his art design. I am so psyched!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2011 5:01:28 PM PDT
Colossus1090 says:
I think cortana might have updated it while he was in cryo to get him ready for what is to come.

Posted on Sep 3, 2011 10:11:05 AM PDT
Quinton says:
Umm.... because people don't want the same thing over and over and over. Oh wait- except for Modern Warfare fans.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2011 9:41:55 AM PDT
Yea, i played halo 3 and i was waiting for an epic opening with master chief coming out of the pod in his awesome armour but bungie took that away. how did he get this new armour any way?

Posted on Sep 5, 2011 9:30:52 PM PDT
The Mindset says:
a lot of the cheif's (and other SPARTANS) armor gets stored on ships they deploy on. so, because the chief gets deployed on the Forward Unto Dawn, it stand to reason that it carries a few spare sets of parts. second, the jetpack like thrusters on his shoulders in the reveal HAVE ALWAYS BEEN THERE. they were never needed until he had no previous momentum in zero-G. Halo 2 he used the covie bomb blowing up to propel himself to the In Amber Clad. in halo 3.. he fell. very far to the jungle. finally, its stands to reason that a fair amount of time has passed between H3 and H4 so it may be that he came out of cryo previously to do things or change his armor.

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 11:52:48 AM PST
P. McDonald says:
If you read the book, the suit repairs, upgrades, and maintains itself while in the cryotubes

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 5:16:18 PM PST
Grant says:
Isnt it a little dangerous, even for a spartan to expose yourself to the vacuume of space just to put on some new armor?
I agree that the Jet Thrusters were probably always there but never had enough power to be used in anything but Zero-G situations.
343 said the plug like areas on the new suit are for armor attachment like upgrades. This may allow us to customize MC to look the way we want him to ala Halo: Reach. It would be refreshing to keep that kind of customization in Halo 4.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012 6:13:46 AM PST
I think it looks more sleek and would allow for that mythical Spartan agility. As for how it changed, come on its a game, not every single change will make sense at first but who knows. In the teaser his armor really only looked different on the shoulder pauldrons. But new designs are always welcome. If 343 is still using the good old Havok engine with a new graphic engine like CEAs then I'm sure everything in the game will look beautiful.

Posted on Mar 4, 2012 3:47:49 PM PST
gimli1357 says:
Why do so many people complain about a change from MRK VI? Master Chief has only had that armor in 2 games. Halo: CE was MRK V, they changed it after the first game.
If you look at the real world, new technologies are coming out every day. It makes sense that his armor would upgrade too in the future. I'm excited to finally see him moving on to MRK VII.

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 7:00:03 AM PST
J. Hays says:
His armor changed because he drank a strawberry smoothie during cryo freezing which everyone knows that upgrades your armor.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2012 12:59:50 PM PDT
@J. Hays
lol

Posted on Apr 13, 2012 3:53:15 AM PDT
RIFT says:
They just explained this recently. The trailer isn't entirely canon apparently. John actually wakes up to rogue Covenant attacking the remnants of the ship, and both the boarding party and John drift into "Requiem," that weird Forerunner planet.

While he was sleeping, 3 years and 7 months have passed, and Cortana upgraded his armor while he was asleep... this is the only explanation they give. This is also why his armor now has Forerunner tech built into it, as Cortana understand Forerunner tech very well at this point, hence the new armor ability "Forerunner Vision," allowing you to see enemies through walls in an ODST VISR Mode sort of way.

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 8:54:26 AM PDT
A. Barwick says:
does nobody remember the change in armor from Halo: CE to Halo 2?

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 3:11:37 AM PDT
RIFT says:
@A. Barwick

Actually, most people came into the Halo series in Halo 2, and even more surprising is they never really went back to try Halo CE, and just assumed that nothing was terribly different (though the Campaign for Halo CE was far superior). Lots more came into it during Halo 3, as the hype machine had built it up to monumental heights. His change in armor from CE to 2 was understood though. He made it into deep space, and was picked up by a UNSC crew, and brought back to Earth, where he was given a new armor, the Mark VI. In Halo 3, there wasn't any point where they wanted to introduce a new armor, and agreed that it was just the look of Master Chief.

Halo 4 introduces a new armor, but with very little explaination. Even now, they just say, "Then during the 3 years and 7 month's John-117 is asleep, Cortana upgrades his armor with her new Forerunner/Covenant/UNSC technology concepts." As for a "why" for changing it... because it wouldn't seem as immediately evident that there was a change. It's to let people see a new image immediately. As well, the art style of 4 is very different, and his old armor would look like a black sheep among all the new art designs. With new gameplay changes, they also wanted to explain why in Zero-G you could pack-boost from one point to another. I like the more classic look to it, with an obviously updated overal visage.

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 11:05:20 AM PDT
Grant says:
Just because "It's a game." doesnt mean story progression doesnt need to make sence. In Halo 2 the MC's armor is replaced with Mark VI armor and we actually see him finish putting it on. It's explained.
If the Halo 4 Armor is just modified Mark VI then they need to show at what point did he climb out of the pod and put it on or HOW did Cortana do it while he was sleeping? Where did she get the materials?
I don't doubt Halseys little blue clone has the know how to do such things but what are the chances of having the supplies to upgrade the Mark VI that much on half of a random UNSC Frigate? Do spartan parts come standard in the armory?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 10:58:48 AM PDT
Mike Sanders says:
Although I agree with you, I think at this point Master Chiefs Mark 6 armor is is how people recognize him, It's like his face(in a way) Changing it now(at least drastically) is comparable to making Captain Price a girl or having Mario become a blonde with blue eyes who speaks with a southern accent.

Posted on May 3, 2012 6:10:18 AM PDT
Actually if you read Halo Glasslands it says on page 213 that Mjolnir upgrades in cryo through nanotechnology

Posted on May 5, 2012 5:09:17 AM PDT
What Sebastian lynn said. besides, it looks pretty dang awesome now.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  27
Total posts:  35
Initial post:  Aug 22, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 4, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about