Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale
Customer Discussions > Lionheart forum

childhood memories: which YA HF books got you hooked on HF

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 26, 2011 9:38:44 AM PDT
W. Small says:
We are assembling a list of HF books for Young Adults. We would love to hear from you about the books that really made a difference in your childhood reading. We will then take all the suggestions and post the list on Amazon for YA readers.

Patricia Beatty's "Holdfast" and Hilda Lewis' "The Gentle Falcon" are among our favourites as catalysts for future HF readers. Now we would love to hear from you! Tell us your favourites and help young adults make good reading decisions!

Posted on Sep 9, 2011 5:11:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 9, 2011 5:12:25 PM PDT
Hazel says:
I'm afraid I'm don't read much actual HF, but mostly historicals with magic or time travel, or non-fiction. The books that led to me reading HF, were slightly historically "inaccurate" to say the least.
The Complete Adventures of Robin of Sherwood (Puffin Books)
Mary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy
And I remember a real HF trilogy about how King Harold lost England to William the Conqueror, but I don't remember the title or the author.

But I also liked Rosemary Sutcliffe's books, The King's Swift Rider: A Novel on Robert the Bruce by Mollie Hunter, and the Brother Cadfael novels by Ellis Peters (pseud. of Edith Pargeter). Even better is The Heaven Tree Trilogy (The Heaven Tree / The Green Branch / The Scarlet Seed) by Edith Pargeter, but maybe most teenagers will find it a bit slow.

I'm not sure if Sharon Penman's books are suitable for YA, but I guess they are for 15 yao.
Here Be Dragons
Prince of Darkness (A Medieval Mystery)

N.M. Browne's trilogy, starting with Warriors of Alavna, is great, too.
Perhaps something for the reluctant reader, because the main characters arrive in the past by time travel, but they stay in the same period and place throughout the book, and as far as I can tell, it's historically accurate.

Good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2011 8:18:41 PM PDT
tgtad says:
Definitely Katharine by Anya Seton. I still read it occasionally!

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 10:41:51 AM PST
The Perilous Gard by Elizabeth Marie Pope.
Green Darkness
Both have supernatural or mystical elements as well, which probably explains my love of fantastic fiction as well as historical fiction. LOL

Posted on Dec 29, 2011 9:06:57 AM PST
W. Small says:
Thanks everyone, these are great suggestions! Really appreciate it!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Lionheart forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Mar 26, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 29, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Lionheart
Lionheart by Sharon Kay Penman (Hardcover - October 4, 2011)
4.4 out of 5 stars (221)