Card classes etc? Which one to get? I have just bought a Panasonic DMC-FH25R and would like to get a memory card/SDHC card, but what "class" am I supposed to get? Is one brand better than another? Is it better to have 2 8GB cards or one 16 GB card? I feel really dumb but would VERY much appreciate advice and any help.

Thanks!
asked by suziq72 on November 16, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 answers
A
the class rating is how fast the card can read/write data. the higher the number, the faster the card is (2, 4, 6, 10). generally, the higher the speed rating and capacity, the higher the cost. you should check with your device to see how fast it transfers data. getting a class 10 card for a device that can only transfer at a class 2 rating would be a waste of money. stay with the name brands and you should be fine.
thenoser answered on November 19, 2011
Comment | 7 of 7 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Having 1 big card vs. 2 smaller ones gives you the advantage of not having to switch cards and potentially miss an important shot while doing so. On the other hand, having 2 cards means a problem with the card means losing half of your pictures instead of all of them.
But I'm feeling much better now... answered on November 19, 2011
Comment | 5 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Get the Transcend 16 GB SDHC Class 10 Flash Memory Card TS16GSDHC10E today while it's the Gold Box Deal. You can get 2 of these for less than the price of a Transcend 32 GB Class SDHC 10 Flash Memory Card TS32GSDHC10E $39.99. It will be plenty fast and it has never been cheaper. But check on the Sandisk too, they can be a little faster which could be better. You should also check whether you Panasonic can handle a Class 10 card. Some can't and will do better will a Class 6 card.
Ellen Ripley answered on November 19, 2011
Comment (1) | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
How can you find out what class the camera can handle? Why would it some cameras do Better with a lower class card, instead of just as good?
sue answered on January 13, 2012
Comment | 3 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Ellen, I have a Transcend "Class 10" card that writes at just over 12 MB/s. I also have a Sandisk "Class 10" card that writes the same test files at over 45 MB/s. The same benchmaking tool and Transcend's high speed reader was used for both, so you can see there ARE substantial differences in speed between the two cards even though they both meet standards for "Class 10".
OldAmazonian answered on August 15, 2012
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Class is a minimal expected performance rating and while useful to compare cards within a company's offering it can be inconsistent between brands. Your camera should give you the requirments for the memory card.
Keep in mind that speed is critical for video cameras (since it is continually writing to the card) and important but not critical for a photo camera. What you want to know is type (wrong type wont fit!) and minimum write speed for example 10MB per second. I wouldn't worry about what the camera can handle per say, more that the card can handle the demands of your camera. If you buy a card that is faster than you need it just means the card will probably be useful for longer.
Is 2 16GB cards better than 1 32GB card? Depends on what you will be doing personally I would rather have 1 big card transfer images to my computer (then clear my card) and never change cards. If you want to be able to fill the card up and never delete it, you are better off with multiple smaller cards and a good labeling system. You can store quite a few high quality photos on a 16GB card.
Doog37 answered on August 15, 2012
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Sue, some cameras could do better with a "lower class" card if in fact the supposedly inferior card's real performance was superior. It happens. Benchmarking each card can be instructive.
OldAmazonian answered on August 15, 2012

A
What Sandisk card is that?
dman answered on August 21, 2012

A
Get the 16 GB card. You will be changing the card out less. and can put more photos on the card (Of course this depends in the mode your using. Remember the higher megapixel you use the more memory you use) And as far as class goes you want to go with Class 10 it's faster. And you have a fast camera so the two will go together well with each other. I hope this helps and gets to you in time to get in on the deal.
Steve of NorCal answered on November 12, 2012

A
compare transfer speed to Sandisk class 10?
Jane D answered on April 26, 2014
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product