cleaning?? I live near Seattle. nearly all mowing here results in some moisture from the grass clippings, and based on the manual they suggest sweeping all grass clippings away with a "long bristled brush". I tried a 6" broom and can't reach the back guard (orange plastic clipping deflector). Can anyone suggest a way to get the (always dampish) grass clippings out of the mower assembly so it doesn't rust?? (it says NO hosing off??)
asked by Heidi Smith on July 15, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 answers
A
votes
Yes. I live in Portland, OR so I can relate to the grass issue being wet. What I found is that I use my electric leaf blower right after I mow. It seems to do the trick. If it is really bad I will use the hose, followed by the leaf blower. Next, a little WD40 on the moving parts with silicone spray on the blades.
I really like this mower. I have owned many reel push mowers (5) in my life. This one is tops. They must have great lawns in Finland!
G. Smith answered on July 29, 2011

A
votes
Soggy Oregon coast here and i use the air compressor to clean it and spray with silicone based lube.
hdangelalex answered on April 11, 2012

A
vote
okay .... put on gloves and take a steel wool pad and buff the rust spots. next, WD40 and then the silicone spray. Gloves, since the blade is sharp.
G. Smith answered on July 29, 2011

A
votes
Thanks for replying! yes we figured out to use my DH's shop vac on reverse and blew it out :) then WD-40'd everything because I saw small dark spots on the blades already. It seems to be a great push mower I just want to make sure it lasts given out wetter than average climate here. it's stored in our insulate and semi heated garage so the spots on the blades that looked suspiciously like rust concerned me after just one use. We used WD-40 on the blades but will look into the silicone spray too. that just seems like a good idea.
Heidi Smith answered on July 29, 2011
‹ Previous   1   Next ›