5.0 out of 5 stars Great clicker
Published on January 3, 2008 by Dmitri Raskolnikov

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed with Quality
Published on October 18, 2012 by TwoBlackCats

5.0 out of 5 stars Great clicker, January 3, 2008
This review is from: i>clicker student remote (Gen1): Radio Frequency Classroom Response System (Misc. Supplies)
My time at college has seen the use of several clickers for use in the classroom. However, most ran off of IR technology and was a PAIN to get an answer into the receiver, even with multiple receivers set up. The iclicker runs off of radio frequencies so you don't even have to aim for anything (a major problem with IR clickers) and it registers on the clicker that you have submitted an answer. This is another benefit, it will flash green if you have successfully submitted an answer, if something is wrong it will flash red. The automatic shut off functions are great for saving power. The teachers on-screen iclilcker panel is straight forward and simplicity at its finest. Start, Stop, once you hit stop theres show and hide. Hit show and you show the graph of how the students responded and you can project this on the screen so the class can see the results. Two semesters of extensive use with this clicker and I have yet to replace the batteries.

Of all the clickers I have used this one is certainly the best, and it is similar in cost to the IR clickers I have used in the past. Clcikers, in general are a benefit to the classroom I believe. They are for use in a larger lecture for the teacher to make sure the students are understanding what is being presented. The only problem with clickers is when the teacher doesn't know how to ask clicker questions, for instance every 2-3 minutes a new clicker question is asked for the duration of the class period. Overall, however, I think these are a great addition to the classroom to determine if the majority of the class is understanding the concepts. An example of the usefulness is when you see most students answer correctly (B lets say), but then the rest answer C and there is no in between. What one can do is address the issue for why students thought it may be C while not having to waste lecture time explaining why A was wrong when all students already understand A is incorrect. Great for science and physics based classes, perhaps others but these are what I know of. There have been several instances I have seen lecture time saved because the teacher was going to explain an answer but, because of clicker responses, realized they didn't have to.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed with Quality, October 18, 2012
It broke in half along the 'seam' because one of the internal plastic screw receivers gave out less than a month passed the return date. The funny thing is my instructor still hasn't used them in class. So I've only used it once to try to calibrate it with her receiver and it just popped apart in my bag. My calculator was half the price of the iclicker, is vastly more useful, has been in my bag for years with no problem. This thing is a circuit board and batteries wrapped in cheap plastic.

WHY IS IT SO EXPENSIVE?

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of the bunch - and very useful, October 29, 2009
I've been working with clickers of various sorts for about 10 years now.

As a teacher and now a professor, I find these clickers to be incredibly useful tools to support active participation in the classroom. Clickers provide the teacher with assessment (pre or post instruction) information that is much more accessible and timely - so I can adjust my lesson to the needs of the students in the class. When I ask a good question with the clickers almost all of the students become engaged and interested in the result. The follow-up discussion and re-vote process provides an excellent opportunity for peer discussion (communication, reasoning, problem solving, etc). That said, many professors may need to reflect on their usage (i.e., How would you respond if you were a student in a class using this device in the way you are using it?) and perhaps adjust their practice. I do not recommend using it for tests, nor would I support assigning more than a few percent in course grades to encourage student 'buy-in' and participation.

I recognize that the cost is a factor for some students - but the student ownership model makes more sense than any other distribution system. Generally you can resell your clicker when you are done for a substantial portion of your purchase price - check your used textbook outlet on-campus.

1.0 out of 5 stars be careful, August 21, 2012
Be careful, this is the iclicker 1 ~ most teachers want you to purchase the 2nd one. This one did not work in any of my classes that required the iclicker. Bummer and I could not return it for the correct one.

3.0 out of 5 stars A $40 scantron remote, May 8, 2009
Jared Honda (Logan, UT, USA) - See all my reviews
To give you some background, the only reason I bought this was because it was required for a number of General Education courses offered at my university. And therefore, being a college student, I did not enjoy having to shell out any more money on materials, the iClicker included.

It does its job well, and the battery life is excellent, but it is an unnecessary piece of technology. The same function could be accomplished for free by simply raising your hand. But if a professor wants to take surveys in class in a speedy manner while maintaining confidentiality, then the iClicker is the answer. It's just a shame it costs as much as it does no matter where you look either online or at a bookstore, but at least it does what it is advertised to do.

1.0 out of 5 stars I'll say what you're thinking...., March 1, 2014
Look, you have to buy this because it's required for your class. It's expensive, it's unreliable, it breaks after 1 week of use (usually).

Here's a couple of tips:
1. Cover the serial number with nail polish, it will keep that scratch-off ink from disappearing so you cant sell it back.
2. If it doesn't work, check the batteries and slap it against your hand, if that doesn't work, turn it over and slap it against your hand. Keep repeating until it can either turn on or turns on automatically.
3. To change the channel, Hold down the "ON/OFF" key for a few seconds until it blinks, if the two digit code you type in is correct, the light will blink green.
4. DO NOT pack this anywhere it can get even light shocks, I like to keep it in the side pocket of my backpack since it cannot be hit there very easily.
5. Sell it back early, many students will try to sell it at the end of the semester so the price will drop dramatically. After the last in-class quiz (Check the syllabus or talk to the professor) run to the nearest bookstore or throw it up on eBay.
6. DO NOT BUY THE EXPENSIVE "2.0" version! This one works just fine (as long as your instructor allows it)

It sucks, but we've all got to use it.

1.0 out of 5 stars total ripoff, August 26, 2011
the iclicker is a total ripoff. It might be useful, im not sure because i haven't used it in class yet.

Be warned, it is a VERY cheap feeling piece of plastic that is made in China. The LED lights bleed through the other LED light openings, the plastic mold isn't precise, the plastic is literally the same stuff they make disposible silverware out of. The button springs each feel different and off... meaning the clicking mechanism built into the clicker is inprecise and will be very prone to failure.

This device was made with zero quality control or care in China out of the cheapest plastic made. I would be suprised if it cost over $1 in total to make. Yet students are charged nearly $40 for it.

I don't care how useful it might be, it is a total scam and ripoff. It should cost less than $10.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes didn't register in class, July 30, 2013
I used this in one of my classes and it tracked my attendance as well as was used to answer questions in the classroom. However, ultimately it was not recording my attendance 100% of the time so as with any other piece of technology, you have to make sure it's always working.

1.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced, poorly made, bad website, December 11, 2011
I have several issues with the iclicker. First, it is way overpriced, considering it is really just a remote, similar to the one you use for your TV, except it only has 6 buttons. It should not be sold for $40. Furthermore, it's stupid that a lot of professors require all their students to buy one just so they can participate in clicker questions. Why not just have people raise their hands like back in the good old days? Also, the website for iclicker SUCKS. I challenge you to go on their website right now and browse through it; try clicking through different links. I just did when I was registering my iclicker and I noticed several links that directed users to the wrong page. Lastly, they have you register your clicker with a little flimsy sticker on the back of the clicker that easily falls off and if you lose it you are screwed. They have a "tool" to look up your number if the sticker falls off, but it doesn't even work. Overall, this is an overpriced piece of garbage. Professors should stop making their students spend their own money to buy these.

2.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, and limited functionality, August 7, 2013
My professor made us buy one of these and I don't believe it was worth it. It has very limited functionality and, for the price, I don't think it adds much to the classroom experience.

Perhaps there's a teacher out there who has found a cunning use for this guy, but I'm hard pressed to believe that since it can do so little. I think it's a sham to ask students to shell out for one of these on top of books and everything else we have to get for school.

I'm not giving it one star because, as a product, it does actually excel at its task. I was able to answer the multiple choice quizzes we had in lecture. My low rating is more because of its few capabilities and limited application in the classroom.

i>clicker student remote (Gen1): Radio Frequency Classroom Response System