Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 17, 2006 5:05:41 PM PDT
CAROLYN HUIE says:
Has anyone out there tried eating coconut oil to lose weight? If so, how did you incorporate it into your diet. It tastes too greasy to just eat plain.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2006 10:48:38 PM PDT
Cheryl in CO says:
Hi Carolyn. First, make absolutely sure you're using raw, unrefined, unfiltered, undeodorized coconut oil. It'll have a light taste and smell of coconuts. There is more than one brand out there on healthfood shelves that says "virgin"- but you won't find "raw" or "unrefined" anywhere on the label. That stuff is like trying to eat Crisco! blech! However -
- once you know you have the good stuff (my favorite source is www.radiantlifecatalog.com and Wilderness Family Natural Foods), it's fairly easy to add it to the diet. Just replace every single other fat in your diet with the coconut oil. Warming it in a pan of water that you can still put your hand in, will melt it to a liquid, and you can use it in recipes as oil. I even make mayo from it. Solid, or soft solid (it melts at 72 degrees), you can use it as butter or margarine.

I add 3 Tbsp to my smoothie every day - just blend everything else, and while it's running, add in the spoonfuls of the coconut oil. It makes a great rich smoothie. I also use it on my healthy bread, pancakes, brown rice, veggies. I saute and stir fry with it, etc. I'm not dropping phenominal amounts of wt, but it's coming off steadily - and since I have CFS, it's definitely been a part of me feeling better in the last 4 months. Hope this helps? :)

Cheryl in CO

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2007 8:19:49 AM PST
blowfly13 says:
hi Carolyn, I don't eat it plain, myself. I stir it into any hot food I'm eating, like soup, or pasta, or basically anything. I get unrefined coconut oil from http://coconutoilonline.com/ and it taste fine to me. They mention stirring it into warm drinks as well, like coffee or even water. I also get coconut flour there, as they make a flour with a high percentage of oil, and use it instead of some percentage of flour in cookies. I also get Artisana coconut butter, which has a high percentage of oil in it, here http://www.organiclivingfood.com/default.aspx? and it tastes AWESOME. You can eat that alone or as a spread of whatever. Also I drink Aroyo coconut milk, which must have a very high concentration of the oil, because the fat content is very high. You can get the oil in many different forms, in other words.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2007 11:04:03 AM PST
What is the coconut flour like? I have been leary of trying it because it is expensive if you do a lot of baking. Does everything taste a bit coconuty? I love the oil, I use it to cook everything that I need oil for and when I want the taste of butter or olive oil I add that with the coconut oil. I use coconut creme instead of coconut milk from the store because the canned coconut milk has so much stuff that isn't good for you. I buy mine from--- www.tropicaltraditions

The coconut creme that I buy is pure coconut. It comes in Quart jars. It has a 2 year shelf life and does not need refrigerating just like coconut oil. A tsp or 2 stirred into a cup of water replaces cows milk in just about everything I make from puddings to pancakes. It does taste coconuty which blends fine with most things.

I did lose about 10 lbs adding the VIRGIN oil into my diet. I have been eating it for about 3 years. I use it exclusively for my skin lotion and suntan lotion too. As long as you are steadily incorportating the oil into your diet you don't burn when you use it for suntan lotion. I love it!!!
Robynn

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2007 6:34:12 PM PST
Eric Botner says:
Coconut products are my favorite and healthiest of foods. Coconut oil melted is great mixed with cacao butter grated, melted into the oil and then keep in a jar as a superior body butter plus you smell like chocolate. The finest penetrating moisturizer.

There is a new product, Coconut creme powder. It is 100% Organic young coconut water( sweet) and young meat made into a mash, then dehydrated to a brick and powdered ... a truly special product available at www.organiclivingfood.com. They also have the finest centrifuge extracted Virgin Organic coconut oil

Raw Living

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2008 7:39:09 AM PST
Robert says:
i personally know the people that own wilderness family naturals, my husband works for them. many of the people that work there use coconut oil and have lost weight. i myself took a bit of convincing but now i eat about one or two spoonfuls of raw, unprocessed coconut oil. and as strange as it sounds, raw unprocessed chocolate (cacao beans) are really good for you too, although they are quite bitter.
I usually eat the raw coconut oil plain, it takes some getting used to but after a few days its not so bad. for my kids i spread it on toast with honey or jelly over top. i also mix it in fruit smoothies.
by far the best coconut products i have found come from wilderness family naturals.
i hope this helps.
-sonya

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2008 7:42:11 AM PST
Robert says:
i use coconut flour to bake with. it is more dense than regular flour therefore more filling. when i make cookies i use half butter half coconut oil. for making stuff with coconut flour you will need to double the amount of eggs you use, and the ratio for substituting coconut flour for regular is 1:4 (one cup of coconut flour for every four of regular flour). i buy my flour from Wilderness family naturals.
-sonya

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2008 6:15:05 AM PST
Gigi says:
How do you use the Coconut creme powder? It sounds good, but I wanted to know what to do with it, how do you use it in your everyday living?
thanks
Gina

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2008 7:22:21 PM PST
Eric Botner says:
The Ultimate Raw coconut creme powder can be used in any smoothie, chocolate drink,
in sauces, soups or my favorite way, by the spoon and let it melt in my mouth. Unfortunately the pure 100% coconut creme powder has been back ordered for a while and I don't know how soon it will be available. In the meantime don't miss out on the benefits of great coconut oil.
from organiclivingfood

Posted on Dec 23, 2009 11:43:20 AM PST
I have been taking coconut oil for about a month and have gained a couple of pounds instead of losing weight. I read that this can happen in the beginning, so I'm hopeful. However, I wonder if because I'm battling menopausal hormone issues if that could be what is making it harder for my body to respond. I work out 5-7 days a week moderately and still can't lose the weight. Does anyone have any suggestions or encouraging comments?

Posted on Jun 3, 2011 10:21:44 AM PDT
Putting it in a smoothie do you melt it first?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2011 12:50:28 AM PDT
It sounds to me as if you should try a candida cleanse as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2011 4:56:45 PM PST
Michell says:
IF you don't use as much coconut oil I believe your using too much of it at one time. Try using only 1 table spoon instead of 3. In a year you'll lose on average of 30 pounds. which is not bad at all! :D My mom is loving proof that it works! I am to! I use to take the pills you get at GNC they work just as good. I lost 30 pounds in a year and have kept it off! :D

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 6:44:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 14, 2012 6:45:05 AM PDT
J. Lukovsky says:
Michelle, did you find the coconut oil to work better when the doses were split up? Did you change anything else in your diet in order to lose the 30 pounds? I have about 8 pounds to lose and totally did it a few years back with the 3 tablespoons of oil but hasn't seemed to be budging this time around. Seem to be doing everything else the same. Just wondering what you and your moms experience has been. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 6:44:39 AM PDT
J. Lukovsky says:
Did you find the coconut oil to work better when the doses were split up? Did you change anything else in your diet in order to lose the 30 pounds? I have about 8 pounds to lose and totally did it a few years back with the 3 tablespoons of oil but hasn't seemed to be budging this time around. Seem to be doing everything else the same. Just wondering what you and your moms experience has been. Thanks!

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 11:51:42 AM PDT
E. Smith says:
I am a huge fan of coconut oil but I am working with a personal trainer right now that doesn't understand it at all. He has me limiting my fat intake and I'm supposed to be eating 320 calories per meal with 5 meals per day (1600 calories per day total). I'm working out a lot more and building muscle so I'm burning a lot more calories than I used to. I would still really like to incorporate coconut oil into my daily routine but I nervous that it will make me go over my calorie count. 1 tbsp is 120 calories and 14g of fat. should I just not worry about the coconut oil and not factor the calories and fat into my meal or do you think I should factor it in? I lost 60 pounds in 1 year by eating a very high fat diet including coconut oil, butter, etc. I went sugar-free and grain-free essentially. However, this was about 5 years ago and I have since gained about 25 lbs and can't seem to loose the weight doing the same things that have worked for me in the past. I have read that following a low carb diet can produce results for a while but then can mess up your thyroid and cause problems further down the road. I don't want to give up on my coconut oil but I'm just not sure how to treat it with this diet plan that I'm on right now. Any thoughts would be helpful, thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 6:14:54 AM PDT
looloo says:
I would get a different trainer, limiting good fat is ridiculous.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 2:25:55 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 20, 2012 2:53:19 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 4:12:11 AM PST
Sue Schwartz says:
I am over fifty and have had the same problem as E. Smith above. The things that worked for me to lose weight in the past no longer helped. My belly fat kept increasing, no matter how much I cut my calories. I accidentally found Gary Taubes book, "Why We Get Fat" and it has changed my thinking and my life.
I had already figured out I am a carb addict. If I start eating increasing amounts of flour and sugar products, I become like an addict and can't stop. I was constantly looking for a sugar fix. Gary perfectly explained the problems of elevated insulin which, even as a physician, I hadn't put together.
I learned about the potential benefit of coconut oil from this book, also. I decided to try it. I was completely freaked out when I opened the jar and it looked like Crisco. I went ahead and used it. I also stopped eating flour products, potatoes and refined sugar. I still eat berries and occasional carrots.
After only one week, with no increase in activity, my belly fat decreased and my energy increased. I wasn't falling asleep at 7pm every night. I was completely shocked! After years of avoiding saturated fats like they were the plague, I am a believer in the benefits of coconut oil. Do I think coconut oil will cure all that ails you?.....No, but it does help control appetite and decrease belly fat, with the side benefit of lifting my mood :)

Posted on Jan 26, 2013 8:33:54 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 26, 2013 8:35:09 AM PST
Mom says:
I put a heaping tbs in my coffee every morning and use it for cooking as well. It's delish if you put it on ww toast w honey. I noticed I don't get my monthly headaches/migraines anymore :) Also it is high in anti-virus, anti-bacterial, high in lauric acid, etc- i love it! No flu shot for me this year:) i also do P90x quite a bit and it also gives me a lot of energy!!

Ps everyone should get their vitamin levels checked, most ppl are deficient in vit D

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2013 5:59:13 PM PST
pradaboy says:
you might want to up your dosage... I increased my dosage and lost 20 pounds in a 1 month period. It really works. You need to drink a lot of water. It's also good to take them before you eat with water. And before you go too bed at night. I take 6 pills in the morning and 6 at night. I walk twice a week as well.... I take 1000 Mg's. It does work. My skin looks really good..and I have tons of energy. It also curves my appetite. I found taking it before I eat digests my food better.

Posted on Mar 28, 2014 5:09:19 PM PDT
I know this is an old post, but for anyone thinking of trying coconut oil to lose weight...it really does work. I noticed a difference in how loosely my work clothes fit after one week. I had mono two years ago and gained several pounds getting myself healthy again. Still deal with fatigue now and then, so I thought I'd try the oil both for the health benefit and also for losing a few pounds. Plus, I've always felt better after eating something with fat in it (eggs for example). I use it when I cook my eggs, I use it in my oatmeal, and sometimes just eat it by the spoonful. I think it is pretty much unlimited how you could use it. I also put a dab on two blemishes I had after reading about several people using it for their skin. Within 30 minutes the blemishes were noticeably less red. I know it sounds crazy, but it really is true. I am the biggest cynic on the planet when it comes to stuff like this, but it has definitely made a fan of me. I have also noticed when using it in food that my skin looks brighter and smoother. Try it for awhile and see what you think. If you feel it doesn't do anything for you, you can always quit using it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2014 5:25:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 28, 2014 5:25:55 PM PDT
pradaboy says:
I live by this stuff. I take the capsules by Finest Nutrition.... I have lost another 30. I am 60 pounds lighter and loving it. Love my new body...keep taking it. My mother is taking it now and she has losing weight. Great!! stuff. Weight comes off gradually..doesn't shock your body...no side effects.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  18
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Sep 17, 2006
Latest post:  Mar 28, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Fat Flush Foods : The World's Best Foods, Seasonings, and Supplements to Flush the Fat From Every Body
The Fat Flush Foods : The World's Best Foods, Seasonings, and Supplements to Flush the Fat From Every Body by Ann Louise Gittleman (Paperback - May 13, 2004)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (58)