How long has your coffemaker lasted? I have a Cuisinart DCC-1200 12-Cup Brew Central Coffeemaker which I bought in Dec '05. We use the machine every day to brew 12 cups and keep it on about 4-6 hrs p/day. Just recently the machine stops brewing before it is complete and shuts off and we can not get the machine to turn back on.

I need to purchase a new coffemaker, but was just wondering, how long should a $80 coffeemaker last and is 2 1/2+ yrs typical?
asked by M. Taylor on September 11, 2008
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 193 answers
A
Same exact experience here, we now have to set the auto on just to get it to brew a pot of coffee. We have called "customer service" and they told us it was our fault for not replacing the carbon filter often enough. Next time I will not buy a cuisinart
C. Handley answered on October 11, 2008
Comment | 12 of 12 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Just had my Cuisinart DCC-1200 die after 2 1/2 years as well. Didn't use it as much as you did. It has become an evaporation machine, the water gets hot but doesn't make it to the basket to brew any coffee. Loved it while it worked.
uiplanner answered on October 9, 2008
Comment (1) | 7 of 7 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Well, 2 1/2 years is good! Mine didn't make it a year before experiencing the problems all of you have described. I know, it has a 3-year warranty but what a pain to SEND it back! Unfortunately, if you read the reviews of other coffee makers, none of them are any better!
Vicki T
V. Turbiville answered on October 13, 2008
Comment | 9 of 9 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Wow. New coffee maker lasts about 2-3 years and people just accept it and trot right out to drop $80.00 on another one?

Believe it or not, there once was a time when you bought an appliance like this and it lasted 15 years or more. Yes, it's true. My mom had the SAME coffee maker the entire time I was growing up in the 60's and 70's (a General Electric).

That was before companies started outsourcing everything to China. Now all we have is flimsy plastic junk that warps and spews after a couple years. With a little stainless steel slapped on to give the impression it is somehow substantial.

Read the reviews on new coffee makers -- they are pretty much all overpriced JUNK.

I need new coffee maker to replace my worthless Black & Decker that just died after 1 year (and made LOUSY coffee). Going to eBay and getting a 70's era GE percolater unit. Used, but at least it'll likely last a while (and no doubt make fantastic coffee!).

Sad -- outsourced, cheap labor, low quality plastic kitchen appliances failing us all. Sort of a metaphor for western civilization (or something)...
YetAnotherITGuy answered on August 11, 2009
Comments (7) | 44 of 50 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
We are on or second Cuisinart DCC-1200, they last about 2 years then start to die. Our latest one leaks out the bottom 2 cups of hot water per 12 cup brew. We are just going to move on to Krups or some other maker for the next one and give up on Cuisinart.
D. Paul answered on February 9, 2009
Comment | 11 of 11 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
It lasted about 1.5 years. Just died. Flat-lined. Nada. And yes, we change the filter, use filtered water in it, and perform the other maintenance tasks suggested. Very unsatisfactory performance for price.
mattzcoz answered on March 10, 2009
Comments (2) | 11 of 11 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
We've had two DCC 1200s in two years. Both leaked water from the bottom after a year. We had the other problems, too, with the too-small water reservoir, condensation, misaligned pot causing a mess, etc. But the leaking is not something we can make adjustments to solve! I haven't seen many leak complaints on Amazon, but other review sites have a good number. Makes great coffee, though, and because of that we may just bite the bullet and buy a third one.
Lambsie Divy answered on June 2, 2009
Comment | 9 of 9 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
You said it perfectly! It appears that it doesn't mater what coffee maker you buy. The days of quality products are a thing of the past. No company takes pride in there work. It appears that a discount store is the way to go. I was in BJ's and purchased a 12 cup automatic Mr. coffee maker for $29.00. When it breaks I will through it out. No more $100.00 coffee makers plus shipping and handling. Just my opinion. BILL
BILLYS HELP DESK answered on November 6, 2009
Comment | 15 of 15 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
MINE QUIT AT ABOUT 8 YRS....JUST ORDERED A NEW ONE
Mr. Hyatt answered on February 9, 2009
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
My Cuisinart DCC-1200 decided this morning that it would stop brewing coffee anymore. We have had the unit since Feb. '07 (just about 2 1/2 years). We just replace the goldtone filter basket recently also. This unit is too expensive to have such a short life span. Next time I'm gonna buy a simple french press and be done with it.
Robert J. Soule answered on August 28, 2009
Comment | 8 of 8 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   ...   20   Next ›

See all questions about this product