Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Billy Talent Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
compatible with Macs? Sony website says the camcorder is compatible with Windows. Does anyone know if it compatible with Macs?
asked by B. Maderis on March 24, 2007
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 answers
A
You need to buy the MPEG 2 codec from Apple's web site to be able to read the files created by this camera in iMovie, etc. I think it costs about $20.
Beemer903 answered on June 7, 2007
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The Pixela software referenced by C. Suntra did the trick for me, although it does require that extra step of interpreting the footage into iMovie-friendly format. I've gone back and forth about keeping or returning the camera since it's not Mac-friendly, but have decided to keep it. I've learned that there really aren't any current hard drive camcorders on the market that are Mac-friendly. The Amazon price was the best I found after shopping around.
Stuart S answered on July 6, 2007
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Tonight I am trying to make my sony DCR-SR42 compatible with Mac with difficulty but have ordered extra software from apple to hopefully solve the problem.
Dik answered on April 6, 2007
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Dear friend,

Did the software make your Sony DCR-SR42 compatible with your Mac?
We're looking at purchasing the Sony ourselves?

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Mac
Bruce W. Olson answered on April 28, 2007

A
Any news on Mac compatability as I'm looking at it as well and have 2 graduations over the next 3 weeks!
Ruth B. Stonecipher answered on May 6, 2007

A
There is also software that Pixela sells for the Mac to transfer video to the MAC. This is the site: http://www.pixela.co.jp/oem/sony/e/capty_mpeg_edit_ex/index.html

I have never used it though.
The above post refers to software for Quicktime that allows one to download and play the MPEG2 files. See this page: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/mpeg2/
Modesto buyer answered on June 15, 2007

A
There is also software that Pixela sells for the Mac to transfer video to the MAC. This is the site: http://www.pixela.co.jp/oem/sony/e/capty_mpeg_edit_ex/index.html

I have never used it though.
Modesto buyer answered on June 15, 2007

A
Does anyone know if Powerbook 4 12" will work with the video transfers? It has the imovie program which I've never used. But the operating system is an older one, maybe Mac OS x?
Lost in Suburbia answered on February 22, 2008

A
I am interested in being able to import the MPEG files from the sony to my MAC and making readable DVD's with them. Can I get by with just the $20 Apple software that allows quick time to read it or do I need something beyond this. If so will quick time pro help? or is the pixela software the only way to go?
Steven S. Jones answered on March 4, 2009
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product