Is this camera Mac/FCP compatible? A reviewer stated his Mac wasn't compatible with 60p... so curious about this.

Thinking about buying this camera. If I did, I would likely be shooting in highest quality (1080p) mode, move files directly to files on an Intel iMac via the USB cable, and editing in Final Cut Pro 6.0.6. Can anyone shed light on whether I would run into problems with this workflow? Any file conversions necessary? I find it odd that someone would say their Mac isn't compatible with a modern camera.
asked by Nina M. Meredith on March 2, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 answers
A
[Deleted by the author on Aug 8, 2013 12:07:58 PM PDT]

A
votes
I'm not sure about Final Cut Pro 6.0.6 --open up the software and start a new project and see if you can find a preset for AVCHD 60p video. I just checked with Adobe Premiere Pro 5 which i use on OS X 10.6.8 , and it can NOT work with 1080 60p video -- there are only options for 24p, 25p and 30p. I also found a page on Sony's help site which says that OSX can NOT work with 60p AVCHD video. ( http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&externalId=C1024409&fes=true ). You can use the camera with OS X, you just cannot use 60p mode. (this article suggests using 24i or 60i recording mode. note: Adobe Premiere does not offer a 60i AVCHD mode either.) The article linked to by Christopher A. Balbi also states that iMovie is NOT compatible with 60p AVCHD recording.

long/short: The camera is compatible with Mac/FCP -- but the 60p AVCHD video format is NOT. you would have to shoot in another recording format/mode
John A. Kennedy answered on December 13, 2012

A
votes
Here is a link to the Sony site. HDR-CX260V is compatible with MAC.
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/support-info.pl?info_id=1192&mdl=HDRCX260VB
Christopher A. Balbi answered on December 3, 2012

A
votes
I checked on the Sony site. it is NOT compatible with MACs.
Angela Martz answered on November 26, 2012

A
votes
I would love to hear the answer as well....
M. Sutherland answered on May 2, 2012
‹ Previous   1   Next ›