Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amazon Gift Card Offer gdwf gdwf gdwf  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Halloween

What complaint about movies is the most overused?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 5, 2010 7:48:51 AM PST
Opinions about movies, like the spectrum of films itself, vary from profound to moronic to cliche'. So many of these forums recycle the same questions and complaints, stuff so broad that you could never reach a concensus.

My question is about these complaints themselves: What complaints or questions are you sick of hearing about?

EX: "Movies nowadays are all CGI, what happened to story, etc etc..." would be my pet peeve, since CGI, like lighting or sound, is just a tool. The blanket assertion of this complaint is that ALL modern movies that use CGI are GI JOE (the most obvious example of CGI over substance that springs to mind, but don't get hung on it as an example), and that's just a ridiculous assertion.

So what's yours? I could certainly make hay out of the "Old movies are better than new movies" chestnut, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Posted on Feb 5, 2010 4:02:40 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 5, 2010 9:07:44 PM PST]

Posted on Feb 21, 2010 12:38:22 PM PST
I am sick of hearing people complain about others who review a product before its DVD release. Most DVD releases have either been seen on VHS, TV or the big screen (or a combination of same) at least once before the DVD release. As far as the extras go, there are websites (and sometimes offline sources) that people can go to prior to release so the reviewer can obtain the info of what will be included with the feature. With all those reliable sources out there, people who review films that are up for pre-order weeks/months/etc. before their DVD release should be praised and not criticized. Just because you didn't "do your homework" and the reviewer did, prior to it arriving at their home, doesn't give you the right to pick on the reviewer who did things so simple (to find out that info), a Geico agent could do it.

Posted on Feb 23, 2010 10:19:07 PM PST
I'll agree about the people who complain about something before it comes out. I'll add to that people who complain about how the product shipped or arrived, vs. the actual product itself. And in the case of the animated Direct to DVD movies, people who complain about voice casting because it's not their favorite from past works in tv or movies. People are not always available and other people should be allowed to try their hand (or voice) at characters as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2010 1:44:22 PM PST
I heartily agree with this. There is a reason that the same voices don't always get used in various films (such as the DC Universe animated films). Part of it stems from the fact that they want these movies to creatively stand alone without having to piggyback on what has been done before. That's why some films will have a William Baldwin voice Batman in one, and Kevin Conroy or Jeffery Sisto in another.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2013 7:17:48 PM PDT
Chris says:
Re: Complaining about voice acting, I actually don't have a problem with this, so long as the person actually points out what their problem with it is. For example, I love Kevin Conroy as Batman, and honestly have a hard time swallowing any others, but my problem with William Baldwin's Batman is less "he's not Kevin Conroy" and more "He whisper-talks every line in the creepiest manner possible." At the same time, I'm generally okay with Robocop as Batman, though I do find some of his deliveries rather unemotional. And I've thusfar not really had much of an issue with any of the Superman replacements.

So, really, if people want to complain about voice acting, they can, but they should actually bring up valid points instead of just "Kevin Conroy is the only animated Batman."
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Feb 5, 2010
Latest post:  May 28, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions