ACDelco Radiators & Heating Components Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Watches Cloud Drive Photos nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson belkin Fire TV Stick Grocery Introducing Handmade Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer wdftv wdftv wdftv  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Kids Halloween
Customer Discussions > Blacksummers'night forum

The complaint that this album's too short...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 7, 2009 9:14:35 AM PDT
Miami Nights says:
I do understand, that after 8 years, Maxwell fans, including myself, would want more than about 37 minutes of music.
But, on the other hand, I like that Maxwell chose to focus on 9 tracks, rather than make a handful of good tracks, surrounded by numerous filler tracks, there to just take advantage of a CD's available space.
I've long felt that music acts don't make albums, as much as they just throw some on hit tracks, followed by tons of filler, in no discernible order.
I would honestly rather have 8, 9 good tracks, at around 37 minutes, than an overall lackluster album with many tired tracks pushing the 74-minute mark.

Posted on Jul 7, 2009 5:57:36 PM PDT
the problem is, those 8-9 tracks are very dull and monotone. this album isn't even half as engaging as his previous efforts. his album now seriously changed my life. i've gotta disagree with you about this album. i'm very disappointed. =(

Posted on Jul 7, 2009 7:28:56 PM PDT
Afrodite7 says:
I'm in between you two. While I won't say this album changed my life like "Urban Hang Suite" did, I actually am enjoying this growth in Maxwell's musical journey. If you look at any of his albums, they are never the same when you really listen to them, but they flow. Just like any good, true artist, Maxwell made his 'musze' wander into a new glen of artistry. I am anxious to see what "Summers'" has to offer. Maybe that will be more to your liking, C. Demarsh.

Posted on Sep 21, 2009 7:09:57 PM PDT
Well, for one thing, this album is the first of a proposed trilogy of albums, hence the short length. Second, why do people expect an artist to give you more of the same thing they've been giving you. I like the fact that Maxwell has grown artistically and is attempting to give me something else than a retread of his previous brilliant work. I like this album a lot...the brevity is a welcome change of pace from CDs with 20 plus tracks, most of which are filler. Plus, after reading these reviews, I feel there is a definite lack of analysis here...the song "Stop the World" is a gorgeous and heartfelt composition. I say give these songs another spin and to Maxwell, I say, "Brother, keep up the good work."
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blacksummers'night forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Jul 7, 2009
Latest post:  Sep 21, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
BLACKsummers'night by Maxwell (Audio CD - 2009)
4.4 out of 5 stars (287)