BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback Learn more Professional restaurant supplies
My only concern with buying this is the lack of a cd/dvd drive. Everything else looks good. What are your thoughts on lack of the cd/dvd drive?
asked by nicolet1205 on August 4, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 answers
A
I have an Acer netbook and a Chromebook, neither with an optical drive. Several years ago, I bought a cheap ($40) portable optical drive, which I use to burn Linux image backups from the netbook. This external drive works perfectly with the Macbook for things like watching movies. Other than that, I have no need to use an optical drive with any regularity, and I far prefer the lighter/thinner package that results from omitting one.
Selden Deemer answered on August 10, 2012
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The idea behind the MacAir is to learn how to use iCloud drives for your big files. Nowadays you don't need to install the complete software, as many of them can be downloaded from the internet or rented for a certain period of time. Ask yourself how many software you have installed and never used. MacAir is to carry the basics... I do so...
Oskar W Aguilar H answered on August 13, 2012
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I very seldom use cd/dvd drive, but I just got a portable one, which can satisfy all my needs.
Yanny Z. answered on August 13, 2012
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I got a laptop for two years without using it's DVD driver even a time.
Globe answered on August 16, 2012

A
While I almost never use a cd/dvd drive I had the same concern as you. In the end I decided to just buy an external drive that I keep at home (although it is light and small enough to carry with me). Buy the Macbook and if you find that need a cd/dvd drive you can get one for really cheap both from apple and 3rd party companies. But to be quite frank I doubt you will because everything is now streamed from the internet.
Victoria answered on December 5, 2012

A
I have a CD drive on my Macbook Pro, I never use it. If I did need one occasionally I could always plug in an external. If you need a CD drive a lot this is not the computer for you.
Lee Zeltzer answered on August 8, 2012
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I do not usually end up using CD/DVD drive so I am OK with that being absent. Also you can always buy a USB CD/DVD drive. That is atleast my plan, as my driving need to buy was a light weight easy to carry laptop.
D. Shah answered on August 13, 2012
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product