Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports
I connected my cablebox via HDMI to TXxx509 , how can I watch TV without turning on the receiver?
asked by leonevalc on January 1, 2013
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 answers
A
There is an option in the receiver menu to enable HDMI pass thru which will let you watch without a specific input having your receiver on.
S. Mujumdar answered on January 2, 2013
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I'm sorry you cannot, it must be on to pass signal thru.
Kindle Customer answered on January 1, 2013

A
You can't. The receiver has to be on.
Gonchar answered on January 1, 2013

A
I connected mine to the receiver so that I would get the dolby and surround. Sound from all the speakers. With the txnr509 you can set it up to come on and off whenever the tv is turned on or off. If you can't set it up, just call onkyo and they will walk you through it. If you don't want the sound fron the receiver don'°t connect the HDMI to it.
howards12 answered on January 1, 2013

A
John Lee Brooks answered on January 1, 2013
Comment (1) | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Menu - HDMI Setup
Auto
Choose input
Last (whichever input is selected when receiver is last put in standby

I recommend auto.
S. Carney answered on January 1, 2013

A
On all of my Onkyo's, you have to turn on the receiver to activate the pass through. Not sure why you would ever want to watch tv without your receiver on. You will not be able to wear out the Onkyo, so why not always have it on while watching TV ... you'll always have good sound then.
Ron Denver answered on January 1, 2013
Comment | 0 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
You could use the tv as the switch for your video source instead of the receiver by running an hdmi directly to the tv, if you have a second hdmi in. I use the receiver as the switch so I have never run it to just run the tv, as I always use the receiver for sound.
The Nelsons answered on January 1, 2013

A
There is nothing really special to do to enable this, just have your tv and cable box powered on, and receiver powered off. Came up right away for me
Brian Chabalik answered on January 1, 2013

A
Hello - if you have the proper HDMI cables (v.1.3 or higher) you will be able to watch your cable box, bypassing the receiver when it is powered off. This is known as "HDMI pass through " this receiver is definitely capable of this, I have used it myself with my TIVO from RCN cable.
Brian Chabalik answered on January 1, 2013
Comment (1) | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product