Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Lacuna Coil Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation Learn more
Customer Discussions > True Compass: A Memoir forum

cost of Kindle books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 24, 2010 6:42:19 PM PDT
Margie Scott says:
When I got my Kindle last summer, I was told most books would cost less than $10.00. Now that Amazon has more competition for electronic books, the prices have increased 50% and even 100%. True Compass by Ted Kennedy is $19.25. What gives? Should we all bail on Amazon & invest in another electronic reader?

Posted on Nov 5, 2010 3:47:22 PM PDT
G. Fisher says:
I agree with above. They told us $9.99. I have STOPPED buying looking at iPad. Someone
need to listen to us!

George Fisher

Posted on Nov 19, 2010 5:51:29 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 19, 2010 5:51:58 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 15, 2010 10:24:20 AM PST
Curtrenton says:
I am listening and NOT buying, thanks

Posted on Jan 21, 2011 6:58:02 AM PST
BeatNetflix says:
i have no problem paying a little more for new books but when i see books that are anywhere from 2-10 years old being sold for kindle at close to $20, and in many cases MORE THAN THE COST OF A PAPERBACK, it makes me pissed off at the world. can someone please explain to me how that should be possible? the cost associated with books in hardcopy are supposed to be for the printers and the materials and the shipping and the cover and storage at the book store or in the warehouse of amazon. when its distributed as an ebook, the cost is going entirely to the distributor (amazon), the author, and whatever cut the publishing house takes for its editors and overhead associated with the book. HOW TO F*&% CAN YOU CHARGE MORE FOR AN EBOOK THAN A HARDCOPY?????? Despicable

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2011 9:56:33 PM PDT
A. J. Daoust says:
i agree

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2011 7:15:50 AM PDT
C. Irwin says:
Basically, don't read books by Ted Kennedy, or any other corrupt misguided politician for that matter.

But I just got my 1st Kindle yesterday, and I'm a bit shocked at prices too. What a rip.

Posted on Jul 9, 2011 8:59:58 AM PDT
Cosmic-Surf says:
Don't think that B&N books for the Nook are any cheaper. They are all ripping us off!

Posted on Jul 17, 2011 8:32:37 AM PDT
Linda says:
It all comes down to marketing... what will people pay?

I heard a discussion at a camp for my preschooler this summer about e-readers -- a camp where a lot of the participants were choosing a "simpler and less commercial life," living off the grid, eating local and organic, reducing, reducing... but one person said you should DEFINITELY get the 3G option on an e-reader so that you could download a new ebook from wherever you were as soon as you finished the previous book. With a "right now" and "life goes everywhere with us all the time" on smart phone/e-reader/Facebook" mentality, it seems to be worth a premium to more and more people to get immediate access to everything.

A pain -- I don't think I'll be able to afford ebooks for my Kindle. And yes, it definitely seems wrong to pay more for an e-book delivered completely electronically with electronic/automated handling from the choosing to the immediate delivery. There's probably some overhead in converting a book from electronic publishing format to Kindle electronic format but overall, prices completely demand-driven instead of having anything to do with the supply/cost side.

Posted on May 30, 2012 8:48:10 AM PDT
I totally agree. All of a sudden books have gone up to 13-15 dollars each. I would rather pay for a paper book for much less at Costco. Stupid amazon!!!!

Posted on Jul 25, 2013 10:05:56 AM PDT
Here's an idea Amazon... What about rewarding your customers with a loyalty program that would actually lower the costs? I like everyone on this post have noticed the increase in book costs and am considering going back to the second hand paperback store...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Mar 24, 2010
Latest post:  Jul 25, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
True Compass: A Memoir
True Compass: A Memoir by Edward M. Kennedy (Paperback - February 1, 2011)
4.2 out of 5 stars (391)