Customer Discussions > House of Dark Shadows [Blu-ray] forum

Why couldn't this have been the type of "Dark Shadows" movie Burton made?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 14, 2012 4:47:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 14, 2012 4:49:08 PM PDT
Brian says:
I am so glad "House of Dark Shadows" is finally getting the Blu-Ray/DVD treatment it deserves. Not just because it was directed by Dan Curtis and turned out to be a loyal adaptation of the very series he created, but mostly because it was EVERYTHING Tim Burton's so-called "movie" wasn't on SO MANY levels!

Curtis, you see, did not need the unnecessary lame comedy, the sex-gags or cringe-inducing one-liners that Burton employed to sell his film. No, Dan Curtis held true to the core principle of what he, himself, knew his show was all about. He gave the fans a gothic, no bones about it horror story.

And I'm sorry, but when I see people on this site talking about how Burton's movie was this "great" and "wonderful" homage to the vision Dan Curtis crafted, my heart very literally sinks. The Burton movie was NOT a homage, it was a pathetic half-hearted parody.

Johnny Depp could have done sheer dramatic wonders with the character of Barnabas Collins, but what did he do instead? He turned the tragic figure of Jonathan Frid's guilt-ridden vampire into a candy-coated joke; pretty much just another stupid variation of his Captain Jack persona from the "Pirates of the Caribbean" films.

All of this is precisely why I view this upcoming release of a 42 year old film as the REAL "Dark Shadows" movie.

Others may very well disagree with this sentiment, and that is certainly their privilege. But it remains my opinion and I'm sticking with it.

Posted on Nov 22, 2012 11:44:46 AM PST
Wayne Klein says:
Well because Burton has to put his stamp on everything. Remember what he did with "Planet of the Apes"?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 4:48:32 PM PST
Agreed

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 9:30:01 PM PST
R - Review says:
You're review was completely spot on and I couldn't agree with you more! Burton had the chance to make a loving and respectful tribute to the original series and film, and yet he simply chose to screw it up in the worst way possible. He and Depp made nothing more than a caricature of both the film and of Barnabas Collins. What a wasted opportunity!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2013 6:33:54 AM PST
lothlore says:
Frankly, I wish Mr. Burton and Mr. Depp had never been allowed anywhere near the Dark Shadows franchise. Their movie was a travesty in the annals of filmdom.
Very glad to see the original DS movie finally available on Blu-Ray,excellent!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xa93b1ce4)

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Oct 14, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 31, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
House of Dark Shadows [Blu-ray]
House of Dark Shadows [Blu-ray] by Jonathan Frid (Blu-ray - 2012)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (265)