This cover causes the Kindle to freeze up, and or reboot!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jan 27, 2014 12:20:37 PM PST
My 3 yr old kindle is doing the same. I think Kindle should of sent a message to all of us that purchased the leather cover . . . I almost purchased a new kindle and I am guessing that Amazon was wishing I would, too. I am feeling quite upset about this and feel that Amazon was trying to take advantage of all of us that didn't take the time to read this. =-P

Posted on Jan 8, 2014 2:37:36 PM PST
I have my kindle over three years now and now it does not want to reboot, what should I do?

Posted on Jan 8, 2014 2:36:55 PM PST
I have the first generation Kindle and I have it going on three years and now it is only freezing and does not want to reboot, what should I do?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2013 7:24:12 PM PDT
Marc says:
Vicky,

Did you remove the kindle from the cover? If not, try that first. You may not need a new Kindle. Sometimes even the covers with the brass covered tabs cause a problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2013 4:01:56 AM PDT
Vicky says:
My tabs are brass coloured metal. My Kindle Keyboard 3G froze today and would not re-boot in spite of multiple tries. This has happened previously but it did re-boot. Amazon are now going to send me a new Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2013 6:35:49 AM PDT
Yesv

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2013 6:39:44 AM PDT
Audrey Drake says:
I have experienced problems with my Kindle freezing from the start. However, this past month it froze constantly. Once I removed it from the cover, problem solved.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2013 10:16:22 AM PST
alberto a. says:
unsurprisingly, they didn't send me the usual "Your Amazon.com Kindle Inquiry" email, where you can rate amazon's policy on the matter.
pretty lame, if I can say so
Anyway, I'm reading terrible reviews about the revamped cover, too, so maybe I'll just buy something else

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2013 6:57:41 AM PST
Marc says:
Alberto A

Call back again and talk to someone else. They may give you a different answer.

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 5:14:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 1, 2013 5:16:31 AM PST
alberto a. says:
After 1 year or so of experiencing such problems I read this post and contacted the kindle support service. They suggested me to test the kindle without its cover for some time, to be sure that the problems were caused by the cover.
when the problems disappeared I got back to them and they replied this:
AMAZON: I understand about that. However, that only work only for exception if the cover is still withing 2 years after it has been purchased.
And I have check that device and you mentioned that the cover was purchased with the cover. The device was purchased 2010.
Me:"no matter when the cover was purchased." means 2 years?
AMAZON:Yes.

what an impressive customer service!

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 6:56:05 AM PST
I am so grateful for stumbling upon this discussion! I have had my Kindle for years, and though everything was fine most of the time, it froze or went out of battery way too often when traveling. Now it's obvious that lots of movement caused the cover to charge and the battery to drain. But I would never ever have guessed on my own.

Since I don't really like the other covers available now, I found an easy way to fix the problem instead: Just attach a thin metal wire (I used copper) between the hinges, loosely so the hinges still hold the Kindle. Voila, an earted case!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 7:50:42 PM PST
JR says:
Amazon replaced my old type cover because of this issue. It was still in warranty at the time. If cover causes a problem, should stop using it. I did not know about this and my kindle died after 6-8 months

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 4:28:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 8, 2012 4:30:04 PM PST
We have used the lighted cover pretty much since they became available. No problem so far, but I have heard of a few, isolated cases where the lighted cover caused a problem.

The light doesn't have a battery of its own. It uses the Kindle battery through those two clips on the cover. May be some dirt on the clips, or the lamp may have burned out. My guess would be a bad connection through the clips. I would take a Q-Tip with a little alchohol and clean the clips before putting the cover back on.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 4:15:16 PM PST
John Hassan says:
Have you heard of any issues with the leather cover with light as my wife's light flickers on and off and now it won't come back on

it is just over a year old. My understanding is that when you charge your kindle it charges the light

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 1:59:22 PM PST
Take off the cover, John. There is a defect in those old covers. It doesn't always show up right away.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 11:34:25 AM PST
John Hassan says:
I am having the same issue.

Leather cover without light had Kindle keyboard 2 years and now when it goes to sleep it won't wake up

completely freezes

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 11:51:15 AM PST
M. Sheets says:
I wish I had found this discussion a year ago. I am on my third Kindle and gotten used to the freeze/reboot problems but have remained frustrated. Then when I gave my wife my Kindle Fire after buying an iPad for myself, she suggested I use her old Kindle. I was reluctant for a long time because it's the one with advertisements and without 3G connection, so I put it off for a long time. I finally agreed yesterday, and I put her Kindle in my cover - and immediately had the same problems! She assured me she had never had any problems, and I started to think I must have some personal bizarre magnetic field or something.

But then I noticed that my old Kindle, now in her cover, was acting remarkably stable. Which prompted me to Google the possibility that it was the cover causing the problem. It seemed so unlikely that I was sure I would find nothing. And I found this discussion. I am blown away.

But happy.

I just wish I could find a lighted case in my old burnt orange color which I loved.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2012 3:52:46 AM PDT
Ultramum says:
I contacted Amazon about my retractable light cover as I had the same problem with my kindle and they refunded my money when I returned the cover as they no longer made it in the colour I had and could only offer black the same as my hubby's which would have been a nightmare. I bought a non lighted non amazon replacement held on by elastic and a clip on light!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2012 2:16:59 PM PDT
Janey says:
my kindle freezes nearly everytiem I use ut so I have to reboot in nearly every day! I don;t know whay

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2012 7:02:16 AM PDT
Marc says:
JR

The covers that have the metal inserts do cause problems with the screen, but other issues can cause them as well. I just had to replace my original Kindle keyboard model. I let the battery completely drain, and when I charged it up again the top third of the screen was blank.

Amazon replaced it as an "out of warranty" replacement and I only had to pay $85 for it. I believe it is probably a refurbished model, but so far, it is working well.

Posted on May 30, 2012 5:49:54 AM PDT
JR says:
Has the old cover caused anyones screen to only display lines and blank spaces. This one never locked up, working fine, turned it off and never worked again. Came up with lines and they move around, dark and light spaces as well.

John

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 7:19:57 AM PDT
I jus tbought a kindle and it worked fine for a few days, then my cover came in and the first day I put it on it froze up. I am still trying to get the screen to work!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 7:51:04 AM PDT
Marc says:
I'm happy it worked out for you, Paul.

Posted on May 4, 2012 4:12:55 AM PDT
Paul R. says:
Thanks Marc,

After a new chat with the customer service finally they agree to give me a refund of 34,99$. I need to pay the shipping, but at least I have a new cover without the errors.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2012 9:49:28 AM PDT
Marc says:
Paul,

Call Customer Service back and talk to a different representative. Refer them to the 302nd post on this disussion board where an Amazon representative stated:

The Amazon Kindle team says:

There have been some forum discussions regarding the non-lighted Kindle cover, and our engineering team is looking into this. Regardless, if anyone is having any problem with an Amazon-manufactured Kindle cover, please call us at 877-453-4512 or 206-922-0844. We will be pleased to replace it for free with a different cover or accept a return for a full refund, no matter when the cover was purchased.

Point out to them where they said they would replace it for free . . . no matter when the cover was purchased.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 47 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  422
Total posts:  1160
Initial post:  Nov 7, 2010
Latest post:  Jan 27, 2014

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Kindle Leather Cover, Black (Fits Kindle Keyboard)
Kindle Leather Cover, Black (Fits Kindle Keyboard) by Amazon
3.3 out of 5 stars   (1,345)