Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
asked by Lynn on August 6, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 answers
A
Not sure what happened...

Definitely consult the B&J book (if you haven't already).

Home freezers generally aren't cold enough - like the commercial freezers - to avoid at least some ice crystals. What I've found helpful is to put a piece of parchment paper over the top of the ice cream before putting the lid on.
Anthony Hubbard answered on December 16, 2009
Comment | 8 of 8 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
It's your freezer. Don't feel bad. Freezing ice cream the way the factories do is very difficult. The Ben and Jerry book talks about the problem.

I don't get "ice sheets," but I do experience some ice crystals on the top layer of the ice cream.
Gerard J. Pinzone answered on August 26, 2009
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Homemade ice cream does not store well, period. Commercial ice cream and gelato has guar gum, or other gums added to stabilize it. That is the main difference, and why commercial ice cream can be stored for longer periods without changing its texture.
Newton Fawcett answered on February 14, 2011
Comment (1) | 5 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Thank you. I had wondered if the freezer had something to do with it. I tried setting it higher, but haven't made any ice cream since. I'll have to look into the Ben and Jerry book, as I noticed a lot of people recommend it. Thanks for your response.
Lynn answered on August 27, 2009
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Homemade icecream is meant to be eaten within a week, due to a lack of stabilizers and chemicals used. Best if used the next day, I'd say 5 at the most. I don't eat it that quick so I started making smaller batches, which come out just as good. I put saran wrap on the icecream, pressed down to prevent air pockets & use an air tight container.

Another factor is the frost free freezers don't help the situation. Try making the freezer a little colder, most ppl don't keep their frozed foods cold enough. All these things will help!
Smilestir answered on May 21, 2012
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Definitely consult the B
Anthony Hubbard answered on December 16, 2009
Comment | 3 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
If my refrigerator keeps regular ice cream from the store is that pretty much a given that homemade will keep just fine too?
Diane H. Westerman answered on June 29, 2010
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Some freezers have an automatic defrost cycle where it warms periodically to defrost and then refreezes. Maybe your ice cream melted slightly and then froze creating ice crystals. Just a guess.
DavidL answered on January 17, 2014
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
You probably didn't thoroughly dry the empty freezer bowl before storing it in the freezer to pre-chill. Cuisinart warns about that. I dry it inside and o ut then wrap tightly, in two layers of plastic with a twist tie, to prevent any condensation. Be sure the inside is perfectly free of any thin layer of ice before using. I never have your problem and make ice cream every week or two...and a lot of it. Good luck...
grillgramma answered on May 20, 2014
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product