Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS
very curious to see how it does in low light. did sony really solve the noise problem??
asked by FCVP on September 19, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 answers
A
This camera is really great in low light, roughly TWO full stops better than the A77/65 (not one). About 1/2 F stop noisier than the spectacular low light ability of the D600 - expected from the very similar sensor, and the loss of ~30% light from the SLT approach. But this camera is right there with the Canon 5DIII. Like Gregory says, if you need that 1/2 stop better noise than what the SLT approach gives you, then yes, get the D600. If you like PD full time auto focus while shooting video, get the A99 (but admittedly Sony over priced this!)
D. F. Watt answered on October 7, 2012
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
In my testing so far it's very close if not a full 2 stops better than the a77. ISO 1600 on the a77 looks about like ISO 6400 on the a99.
Shawn C. answered on November 4, 2012
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Now that I've been shooting with the a99, and processing the RAW files in Lightroom 4.2, I feel comfortable shooting ISO 1600 the way I used to use ISO 200 on earlier crop-sensor cameras. ISO 6400 can be noise-free but you get a softer image as a result of that, especially visible when you look 1:1. The very highest ISOs give you some noise, but even 256,000 ISO has less noise than some 800 speed film I used to buy...
Jeremy B. answered on November 5, 2012
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
6400 looks pretty good. A touch noisier than the d600 but still good (especially if you're down-scaling).
Joe Hansen answered on December 13, 2012
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
What noise problem? You lose half a stop of light due to the mirror, and gain a stop (over APS-C) by going FF. The A77 has no noise problem, so this one won't either.

If you absolutely need that last half stop, maybe get the Nikon D600.
Gregory King answered on September 22, 2012
Comment | 1 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product