Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 5, 2014 7:54:00 AM PDT
Bassman says:
How can so many reviews be written on a product as yet unreleased? I am well aware of how good the editions released prior to this as yet unreleased ones are. I just wish people would review the actual product advertized. I am curious as to how different this new edition will sound to the last remastered editions. Of course I'm going to purchase the new release when it becomes available. It's like a disease I just have to have the latest remaster of the albums as soon as they become available. I have a parallel cd collection with the last edition and the latest edition as well as the vinyl collection from original releases. Is there a doctor in the house I need to be cured!

Posted on May 18, 2014 9:51:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 18, 2014 9:54:57 PM PDT
James Zinn says:
Bassman, agreed on the reviews before product release but try to have some willpower for buying this time. I had the same problem buying multiple release cycles of the Hendrix catalog and just totally screwed myself. It's hard, for fans, I know. I think a full live show as a bonus disc would be better than studio leftovers with missing parts. Believe it or not, I already heard the Whole Lotta Love rough mix and it's OK to hear once or twice but it'll never replace the full-blown version. It is missing all the guitar solos anyway, making me try to "air guitar" them myself while listening to it (!).

Try to hold out for the DVD-Audio or Blue Ray editions if/when they ever come out. That way you at least get a high-resolution remaster.

Cheers!

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2014 7:12:40 AM PDT
Bassman says:
Thanks James but me trying to hold out on new releases is like a bladder trying to hold out after fifteen cans of ice cold beer. Be nice to have high-resolution remaster. I am about to purchase an SACD Player so here goes more buying opportunities. Can't take it with you and I'd rather waste it on music than piddlin it down the drain. See Ya!

Posted on May 21, 2014 5:51:18 AM PDT
The re-release of Hendrix lacks on thing this album set has - the producing and remastering of Jimmy Page. I have absolutely no problem preordering this, and I know I won't be disappointed, because JIMMY IS the master of producing. Zeppelin has been incredibly careful over the years of not doing anything that didn't meet Jimmy's standards as long as he was in control of it.

Posted on May 24, 2014 9:54:51 AM PDT
Joe says:
I have to admit...I've fallen for continued re-releases myself...including Moody Blues and Pink Floyd classics. I WILL pick and choose on these Led Zeppelin sets. I look at bonus material first...for example...the first album has a live show...so it makes it a good deal for me. I don't care for the second disc on Led Zeppelin 2...and Led Zeppelin 3 wasn't one of my favorites...so I'll skip that one...etc.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2014 5:28:29 AM PDT
Bassman says:
Have to give credit where it's due. When I first posted, there were reviews for these new editions and since I commented on this as in post titled "Curious" Amazon has removed all of those reviews. Thank you for listening.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2014 4:31:18 PM PDT
James Zinn says:
Bassman, I believe you. I've seen that kind of thing going on more and more on Amazon these days. Full user reviews and ratings before the product even comes out. I've bashed some people about it here and there but they're...still around. Perhaps Amazon is being more attentive to that now and getting rid of them.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2014 4:39:32 PM PDT
James Zinn says:
Joe, I'm in the same boat. Done it myself with MB and Floyd. One thing we tend to forget is that old VINYL collection. We bought it then, too.

Truth is, these days I'm going back to listen to my vinyl when an available choice and not too worn out. Some of those used cheapies don't play well.
Luckily I have quite a few audiophile vinyl LPs and they all sound great, still.

I avoided some CD releases of Derek & The Dominoes but recently finally bought the newest Deluxe Edition, and I'll have to admit, they finally got the sound right. It sounds better than the original LP now. I did the comparison! Definitely better than the 1990 box set.

For Zeppelin, I'm only going to buy the new CD Deluxe Editions for I & II. I do have the vinyl on my wish lists because I threw out my worn out old vinyl LPs of them to make space. Will wait until reviews on the vinyl to make sure they're worth it AND NOT SCRATCHED OR MAIMED WHEN NEW! Unless they give us something better for the others, I'll just rely on old vinyl and the complete studio recordings box set until DVD-Audio or Blue Ray's come out.

Cheers

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2014 4:42:31 AM PDT
Bassman says:
Hi Deborah I totally agree with you. It's a pity they don't get Jimmy Page to produce Jimmy Hendrix remasters. Cheers.

Posted on Jun 2, 2014 6:36:36 PM PDT
Unfortunately, Amazon lumped in the reviews of ALL past Led Zeppelin II releases - I really wish they wouldn't do that. Maybe they will start over with only the new reviews after the release date...

Posted on Jun 3, 2014 10:10:17 AM PDT
D. Mallick says:
how many more times of CD remaster? where is DVD-audio or Blu-ray audio?

Posted on Jun 3, 2014 10:39:13 AM PDT
John Kellogg says:
To answer your original question, it appears Amazon ported over the old reviews of the previous CD releases of the Zep albums (some are from 2000, 2001, and even earlier).

Obviously people looking at the 2014 remasters aren't interested in reviews of the earlier CD releases. I'm not sure what Amazon was thinking on that one...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2014 10:41:39 AM PDT
John Kellogg says:
The promo video for these releases mentioned something about an "HD download card," or something like that. Your guess is as good as mine as to what that is, but it kind of hints at what you're looking for.

Posted on Jun 4, 2014 8:28:31 AM PDT
anonymous says:
On my car and computer I notice no difference from definitive mini lp set...One must have to have high end equipment to hear THAT much of a difference Not parting with my box sets anytime soon

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2014 4:27:52 PM PDT
Joe says:
I wish I had kept some of my vinyl James...the old "tried and true" ! I guess buying these remasters is kind of a gamble...I make sure I check out reviews here.

Cheers to you !

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2014 3:31:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 5, 2014 3:32:58 PM PDT
An HD Download would be a lossless non compressed file that is either 24bit/96kHz or 24bit/196kHz. This is what I would prefer to the CD so that I can enjoy this on my Astell&Kern AK 120 player. Does the CD alone come with the download or just the $100.00 box sets?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2014 3:48:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 5, 2014 3:49:46 PM PDT
Hi there,

Not real sure how much you plan to spend on an SACD player, but I have a Oppo BD-105 that plays everything from Blu-rays, Flac Files and several others along with SACD's. That was the selling point for me as I too was planning on buying a new SACD player. I have a few SACDs and my Marantz finally bit the bullet. Had it ten years or more. The Oppo BD-103 is half the price , but does all the same things.

It's also 4K ready. This baby will play anything you throw at it. All of our movies are on a Home Server, and since it's networked, it will play various formats as well. I usually rip my Blu-Rays to MKV format, but it will do several others. You can also plug a Roku stick into the unit and it will add streaming. The higher end model has I think three USB ports on the back for external storage. A fantastic machine that takes the place of about four devices. Since buying this device I have removed my HTPC from our living room.

Just a suggestion, it's expensive, but it's worth every dime. You can go on eBay and get a region free kit for about $90.00 and it is so easy to mount inside the player. It's just a couple of plugs and the board already has mounts to screw to in the case.

Now if I could just talk my better half into a 4K television, I would be happy. Just waiting until the prices drop a little.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2015 5:31:38 AM PST
Bluesman says:
If everyone would just wait and listen you might already know the answer! I have a set-up that will rock your house and trust me these are incredible and better that anything from the past. I have the previous remasters and they are sad in comparison drums and symbols come alive and the guitar rifts are a new experience you don't want to miss this! Rock On!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2015 5:51:45 AM PST
Bassman says:
Right with you Bluesman, now I have the new edition. Absolutely crystal clear guitar and cymbals and everything. Well worth the purchase.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  10
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  May 5, 2014
Latest post:  Jan 1, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Led Zeppelin II (Deluxe CD Edition)
Led Zeppelin II (Deluxe CD Edition) by Led Zeppelin (Audio CD - 2014)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (872)