My current modem model no. is SBV 5120. Is the SB5101U a suitable substitute?
asked by romipe on December 9, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 answers
A
[Deleted by the author on Dec 31, 2013 12:41:50 PM PST]

A
There is a list of suitable modems that will fit your particular needs on the Time Warner website. I do not think the SBV 5120 is on the list but the list is evolving so you should check. I do know this one is and it does work fine: Motorola SURFboard SB5101U DOCSIS 2.0 Cable Modem BYW the modem supports everything including VOIP.
Spitzerone answered on December 11, 2012
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
All I know is that I jotted down the list of possible substitute modems provided by my cable company, and then researched each one. I think your question was answered by a couple of people already.
Ruth Axtell answered on December 10, 2012
Comment (1) | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Not sure. I picked this model because my cable provider, Time Warner, said it would work for their system. If you are getting the modem because your cable provider is now going to bill you for the modem you should see what models they will accept.
hugh guider answered on December 10, 2012
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
SBV5120 has VOIP (voice over IP) capabilty and the SB 5101U does not. This is a modem only, and not a wireless router. It has connections for Cable, USB, and Ethernet. There is no telephone connection. Yes, Comcast does approve this model. If you do NOT need telephone connection and want a cable modem/router combination, I personally use the Motorola SBG901. It is on list for Comcast, also.
James E. Miller answered on December 9, 2012

A
I use Time Warner for Internet only. I get my telephone service through Nettalk via a router which allows me to use my computer at the same time. My SB5101U has only an Ethernet and USB output connection. P.S. Nettalk will save you a fortune in telephone bills.
careful buyer answered on December 9, 2012

A
I believe it will, I have a desktop, laptop and a tablet and it works great. If you want you can google -sbv5120 then google-sb5101u and compare them but I don't see why it wouldn't work.hope this helps.
Brenda K. Baughman answered on December 9, 2012

A
I believe it will, I have a desktop, laptop and a tablet and it works great. If you want you can google -sbv5120 then google-sb5101u and compare them but I don't see why it wouldn't work.hope this helps.
Brenda K. Baughman answered on December 9, 2012

A
Thanks
Vu Dinh answered on December 9, 2012

A
I am not completely sure, as I understand it, SBV5120 has VOIP (voice over IP) capabilty and the SB 5101U does not. There are lots of discussions about this subject on line, please see the link below. It sounds like Comcast users use the SBV 5120. SB 5101 was in the approved list for Time Warner that is why I bought it. If you have telephone service via cable, SB5120 may not be the best option.
Hope this helps, good luck. Kiri
http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Basic-Internet-Connectivity-And/Replacing-a-Motorola-SBV5220-EMTA-modem/td-p/1050265
Kiri Amarakoon answered on December 9, 2012
‹ Previous   1   Next ›