I have an 8 year old daughter--very smart. Would the Inno Tab be worth the money for an 8 year old and if not, any other suggestions for under $100?
asked by B. Roggensees on November 1, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 answers
A
vote
I would say that the InnoTab is going to be too easy for an 8 year old, especially if she's very bright. I asked my husband for suggestions (he's the tech guru in the family) and he couldn't come up with anything under $100. He said she was too young for an iPad (and that's obviously much too expensive), but a Kindle Fire would be ok. Those are still way over your budget, but that's the only suggestion we have. Sorry we couldn't be more help!
SZAA answered on November 1, 2012

A
votes
My 7 yr old likes it, but he prefers the DS. You can usually find a used one under $100. Of course you still have to pay for games.
Paula J. Krueger answered on November 1, 2012

A
votes
The games would probably not be challenging enough for a very bright 8-year-old; my 7-year old finds it a little too young. This is best for kids 2-6, in my opinion. As far as a handheld for under $100? The DS is a good suggestion; I would wait for a lower priced "adult" tablet to come out.
Family Fun answered on November 1, 2012

A
votes
I think a smart 8-year old is very close to being on the outer edge of a kid who could appreciate this. I, too, have a smart 8-year old and she can be entertained by it from time to time, but not for long and really has outgrown it. Sorry, but not sure what a better, similar item would be. Hope that helps.
Brian J. Greene answered on November 1, 2012

A
votes
I can't honestly think of anything under $100 (new) but there are some good games available that makes it interesting for my gifted 9 year old but the stuff that comes in it, not going to be challenging.
Lisa Noel answered on November 1, 2012

A
votes
My Little Guy is three and loves the InnoTab. The innoTab has a huge assortment of programs in varying age ranges. I think at the age of 8 I might start my Little Guy out on the laptop though and keep a close eye on him. That's just my opinion though.
Leslie
Leslie M. answered on November 1, 2012

A
votes
I agree that the InnoTab is going to be a little too easy for her. My son is six and it's not as fun/challenging for him. My four year old loves it. The games for this machine top out at age 8, and especially if she's bright I think she'd be easily bored by the games you can buy for this. Leap Pad2 I think is a little more appropriate for that age, but also she's going to top out pretty quickly. DS is probably a good option for her, though the games are not always geared towards learning if that is a concern. Good luck!
Amy Mcfarland answered on November 1, 2012

A
votes
I definitely think it's worth the money. We have 5 children and all but the oldest (12) uses this toy. Our 2, 4, 7 and 9 year old children love it! I think the fact that it has a camera and you can download more games to fit your child makes it great! We have other similar products and I would definitely recommend this over the others! Good luck!
Mom5Boys answered on November 1, 2012

A
votes
yes it would be worth it. I have a 3 year old who has the brain of a 5 year old and he loves it. Your daughter can draw, write, and play the games that are on the vtech website that you can download. It will teach her days of the week, time, I would get it.
redheadmommy answered on November 1, 2012

A
votes
Hello,

they have games and apps for older children (which I haven't tried yet since mine are 5 and 2 years old). Plus the new Innotab 2S is Wifi ready so that would probably be really cool for her.
Steven Freeman answered on November 2, 2012
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›