4.0 out of 5 stars Works as designed. Good security
I ordered this a few weeks ago, but finally found the 15 minutes it takes to install it. The installation was easy - it was harder to remove the old peephole for lack of needle nose pliers, but once I got it out, this installed very easy.

During the installation, I ran into couple of problems:

1) The user guide does not tell you explicitly to remove...
Published 20 months ago by Bubba & Squiggles' Dad

This is very misleading. The 170 degrees represents the angle in which you can view the screen from inside. The lens itself only shows you a 60 degree view of the outside. In my case, this means someone could easily stand to the side of my door and not be seen on the display.
Published 10 months ago by Andrew Ulrich

4.0 out of 5 stars Works as designed. Good security, May 29, 2013
This review is from: LERWAY 3.5 inch 170 degrees Wide Angle Peephole TFT LCD Digital Door Viewer Doorbell Security Camera Cam

During the installation, I ran into couple of problems:

1) The user guide does not tell you explicitly to remove the backplate off the viewer and glue it to the door. I spent about 5 minutes trying to figure out how to remove the mounting bracket - you just have to pull the oval shaped back plate off the viewer. No instructions on how to remove it.

2) The pipe that connects the lens with the viewer (and goes through the existing peep hole) was about 2-3 mm too long. As a result, when I tightened it fully, there was still some play, and the camera/viewer were loose. So I cut a small piece of cardboard, and used that as a washer. Next time I go to hardware store, I will get a spring washer and use it instead of the card.

With all these, it took about 20 minutes total to get it up and running. This requires 3 AA cells (not included). I set the date in DD/MM/YYYY format, and bingo - all set.

The bell/chime is loud enough for you to hear, and every time someone rings the bell, it takes a picture - you can come home and review the pictures pressing the UP/Down buttons to see who all were in front of your house during the day. The documentation states it takes 100 pictures with the built-in memory.

Another good thing is that the display turns off after 10 seconds to conserve battery.

There is also a feature to turn the chime off - by holding the On/Off button for 10 seconds, it turns on/off the chime. So if you do not want to be disturbed in the night, you can turn the sound off. But I do not know why anyone would want to do that.

I am going to try this for a few days to see the battery life, and once I like it, I will disable my regular doorbell, so people are forced to use this so I get to see who all are knocking at my door.

On some other viewers of this type, some folks commented that by having this special looking peephole, it tells people that you are able to record them - folks wanted it to take pictures in stealth. I disagree - I would rather perpetrators look at this and walk away rather than try something damaging. It is same as putting a sign outside your house that your house is secured - you do want undesirable elements anywhere near your house. So make your house look like it has all sorts of cameras, and they look at someone else's house, leaving you alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful..., September 19, 2013
AGPtek® 3.5" 300KP LCD Digital Video Door Viewer Peephole Doorbell Security Camera Cam with Do not disturb(DND) Function

As described and I didn't have any of the issues many others expressed. Now the included manual is defiantly lacking, so if you aren't a true DIY person, have someone that is install it for you and show you how to operate it. If you have to drill the mounting hole in the door, measure twice and be sure it's centered, there isn't a second chance on drilling.

I do recommend that you don't use the pre-installed sticky tape. DON'T REMOVE THE PROTECTIVE PAPER on the sticky tape that is on the back of the lens and mounting bracket unless you know this is exactly were it is going to be mounted forever. Removal will be difficult and my damage the lens and door finish. The sticky tape isn't needed for a secure mount. I mounted and un-mounted mine a couple of times to check things out. I also have to remove my unit at some point to paint the door.

Be sure the lens and mounting bracket are installed right side up. "TOP" is printed on the backs of both the lens and mounting bracket. If the lens isn't mounted correctly, the picture in the viewer will be displayed wrong too. Another reason not to use the sticky tape.

The mounting bracket can be difficult to separate from the viewer out of the box, but the viewer pops right off after mounting the bracket to the door.

I also found that once you get the lens barrel started from the inside, it's easier to finish by screwing in the lens from the outside while holding the barrel with the other hand on the inside.

The picture is great and the viewing angle is awesome, especially when compared to the standard Peepholes commonly installed on most doors.

May your Peephole always be viewable...

UPDATE 12.23.2013: Battery life is SHORT, 30 to 60 days. You know when the batteries are going, can't miss the flashing RED battery indicator. Been using bulk batteries bought on Woot. Haven't tried Duracell or Lithium batteries, or rechargeable batteries yet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Viewer, Nice Price., May 9, 2013
I had been looking for a new colour viewer to replace my very nice black and white one for a long time. I looked on Amazon and several other sites, but could not find one that in my opinion was reasonably priced, then one day I saw this on Amazon, and the price was RIGHT, so I got it. This viewer exceeded my expectations. The screen is bright and crisp. Installation was a snap. The overall size of the viewer is only only 6"x 4" . The viewer is very attractive as seen in Amazon's description. The doorbell/camera is quite noticeable so any observant person would know it's a camera, so if you don't want your visitors to know that they are on camera, you should get a surface mount camera, it will most likely not have the doorbell button that this one has. Another thing, when someone pushes the doorbell the camera snaps a picture and keep it in the built in memory. The camera has a fish eye lens so the viewing angle is quite good. Battery life is very good, I have not had to replace the batteries since I installed it several weeks ago, and I leave the viewing screen on quite a bit. It turns itself off after some time. This viewer has one quirk,which is only a quirk if one is unaware of date formats.The date format is the international format, which is Day,Month,Year. The american format is Month,day,Year., so keep that in mind. I can see where one might think it is defective if it does not occur to them. In conclusion, this viewer is a very good product, the price is right compared to the Brinnos and the cannons of the world, their products are good, but for price/features ratio I would go for this any day. I recommend this to friend and family.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware. The lens is NOT 170 degree or anything close to wide angle, March 18, 2014

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not like it at all., July 29, 2013
Made of plastic and threads are too fine and can easily get mis-aligned and difficult to unscrew it. I had to cut it and end up ruining the whole unit. Fortunately I ordered 2 of them. When I installed the second one, it started ringing door bell for no reason. Finally I figured out that direct sun heat was causing the problem. My home door is facing west and gets lots of sun light in afternoon. And again, I have to cut ir to remove it. Waste of money and time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Install, September 15, 2013
Pros
Easy Install
Decent instructions for chinese writers

Cons
does not have a downward viewing angle, so if your trying to look out the door and you can't see someone it may be a small child or a ducking person.

2.0 out of 5 stars Drain batteries, December 7, 2013
I had to changed the batteries two times within two months with about 5 times total usage. An out of battery digital peephole is worst than my good old peephole.

4.0 out of 5 stars performs as advertisd, August 4, 2013
Straight-forward concept, execution and product. Does what is is advertised to do......no muss, no fuss, no drama.....just does what it is supposed to do. Installs as described, gives clear view through door, snaps pictures when asked. I will buy another.

1.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, January 30, 2014
Raj "rjsingh" (California United States) - See all my reviews
Fits perfectly into the peep hole and installation is a breeze. It switches on and takes a picture of the person when the buzzer is pressed. However the battery life is very less and it loses all the date and time information when you are changing the battery. The battery cover is made of very cheap plastic and I always worry that it might break. The velcro that it came along for attaching to the door did not last a day. So I super glued it. I wish I had bought one with a remote. So that if someone knocked on the door ( ignoring the buzzer button) I could trigger the camera and check from a distance. - without having the need to walk to the door and switch it on.

Well- it has stopped doing its job. After barely 6 months of use the camera has stopped working. There is no display on the screen. After countless email exchanges with Lerway the manufacturer, I was finally told they cannot help because I did not buy it from them but from other seller. Amazon says contact the manufacturer. I dont have the time and energy to sit in an infinite loop chasing them. I ordered another one which is branded.So if you 53 dollars sitting idle and want to get into the hassle of uninstalling it after a few months - go for it. Reducing the number of stars from 3 to 1.

5.0 out of 5 stars Purchased this for my mother, July 11, 2013
NW Grandma (Paciific Northwest) - See all my reviews
My elderly mother is shrinking. The current peephole is now too high, and it's on the cloudy side as it's 20 years old.

The clarity of the screen on the 3.5 inch 170 degrees Wide Angle Peephole TFT LCD Digital Door Viewer is wonderful. It was super easy to install. Mom is so tickled with it, she demonstrates it for everyone who comes over by asking me to stand outside just so she can show it off.