Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Melanie Martinez $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Disney Infinity 3.0 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day
Customer Discussions > The Man Who Would Be King forum

deleted scene on DVD??!!!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 14, 2006 7:23:48 AM PDT
Robo says:
This is one of my all-time favorites as well, but I can't buy it on DVD if the bridge scene is deleted at the end. Can anyone discuss/confirm this? It adds closure to the whole story and an otherwise unsatisfactory ending. It lets you say goodby to a character that you spent two hours coming to love. How could this scene be deleted? Why would it be? Somebody out there please put my mind at ease so I can buy this DVD!!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2007 2:54:49 PM PDT
The scene is missing. If you are talking about the shot of Connery reaching for the crown or smiling, not sure which, the scene is missing. On the whole the DVD stinks! The movie is wonderful though!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2007 1:02:11 PM PST
J. Avery says:
I agree with J. Collins & Robo--I'd love to own this DVD because it is one of my all-time
favorite films, BUT, for an unknown reason, some idiot has chosen to edit this classic Huston/Connery/Caine film by leaving out one of the greatest shots: Connery and his crown falling in slow motion down an endlessly deep ravine. Why? The film is already 129 minutes long--10 seconds longer is not going to matter. The Netflix DVD I rented was a good print and was letter-boxed, but this scene is missing AND one has to flip the DVD over halfway through the film. If any film deserves to be re-issued on DVD with the current technology of 2007, this one does.

Posted on Dec 8, 2009 3:42:10 PM PST
elle-mnop says:
I bought it a while back, and yes. It is missing. Totally sucks. But I still like the movie. Thank gosh I know how it really ends. I don't know what kind of hacks they hire to edit, but they really need to rethink it.

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 9:16:07 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 12, 2012 12:32:33 PM PDT]

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 3:35:05 AM PST
Yes it stinks that they cut the scene down (the close up of Connery as he falls). However, I found myself still enjoying the movie even with THAT FEW SECONDS missing. The DVD flip-over was weird though.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2013 8:00:27 PM PDT
The flip is not "weird". When this was released on DVD, dual-layer discs were not available. "The Wild Bunch" was also a "flipper" on its first DVD release. Of course, a few years ago people could still get their asses off the couch - hell, once upon a time we watched TV without a remote.

Posted on Jul 19, 2015 11:31:55 AM PDT
Robi says:
Christopher Plummer listening to the final words of Michael Caine's narration... Has that deleted too?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Sep 14, 2006
Latest post:  Jul 19, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Man Who Would Be King [VHS]
The Man Who Would Be King [VHS] by Sean Connery (VHS Tape - 1997)
4.3 out of 5 stars (506)