How do I determine what I need? My problem is that our internet keeps quitting. One computer is hardwired, but our two laptops and the kid computer are on a network, and we have moved from having to reset the router once every week or two, to having to reset the router and the modem every half hour, and that's only because we're too lazy to get up and do it more often. On the other hand, sometimes it's suddenly fine just on its own.

So, since I seem to be fine with connecting to the router (in the little picture in the network window, it shows I'm connected to Linksys, but that Linksys is not connected to the globe--there's a red X there), it seems to me it's probably the modem. Is that a safe assumption?

On the other hand, my Linksys is about 8 years old, so perhaps it's time for a new one just because it's so outdated, and I should simply start with that, and see if it does the trick?

Thanks for any input!
asked by stitchincarol on September 6, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 answers
A
You may have interference problem from your 2.4GHz cordless phone. If you don't have any 2.4GHz phone, you may be too close to other routers near your location. Switching to 5 Ghz can usually solve the problem.
bz answered on January 18, 2012
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Carol, I wish someone with knowledge would have responded because I have the same sort of problem. To confuse the issue more, we have a new cable company (which upgraded to digital and ?) come to town when the problem started. So is it the modem or the router that is the issue?
Aunt Aggie answered on November 19, 2011
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
OH! My first thought was astonishment on how you knew I had a 2.4GHz cordless phone right there. Then I got to your second sentence and realized you were saying that from other experience, not from super powers to see into my home! Because I do indeed have a 2.4GHz cordless phone right next to the router and the modem.

I bought a new router a few months ago, and it is working for everyone...except me on my laptop. I had to go buy a little wireless adapter to plug into a USB port on my laptop in order to connect here at home. Mind you, I can connect everywhere else just fine, but at home I need the wireless adapter.

sigh

I love computers and technology when they work well! The rest of the time.... ;-) Thanks, bz, for your help. I'm going to disconnect the phones and remove the wireless adapter and see if that allows my laptop to get internet; I don't know that this old house will allow me to set up the cordless phones anywhere else, but at least knowing would be delightful!
stitchincarol answered on January 19, 2012

A
Will this router stream movies from Netflix and Hulu, etc, without lag time?
JP answered on March 14, 2012
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product