Apple iPad (first generation) MB292LL/A Tablet (16GB, Wifi)
Used & New from: $139.99
difference between a 16GB and 32GB Ipad? How much actual difference is there between a 16GB and 32GB Ipad? I am pleading ignorance here...in other words, how much "bigger" is the one from the other?
asked by S. Weber on July 6, 2010
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 48 answers
A
only difference is that you can store more movies, music and pictures, if you are a downloading geek and want to store an extensive library of stuff on your device + gazillions of apps, go for 32GB, I am OK with 16GB
Three Stories answered on July 7, 2010
Comment | 54 of 56 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
according to Amazon, their 4gb Kindle can hold roughly 3,500 books. Going by their numbers, a 16gb iPad could hold about 14,000 ebooks, while the 32gb version could hold 28,000 by the same standard. In any case, you're never gonna fill either version with text alone, if reading is your priority go for the 16gb (or the new Kindle, which is only $140), but remember that you're gonna want to download apps, put music on it, and view tons of photos and movies on that amazing screen! These will take considerably more space than the books. I'd say, given space for everything else and considering formatting, you'd easily be able to hold all your ebooks on either version with loads of space left over - unless you want the equivalent of the Library of Congress in your backpack at all times :D
Linda Costantini answered on July 30, 2010
Comments (3) | 57 of 61 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Thank you for your reply. I already own a Kindle DX and am primarily interested in owning an IPad as well but have been unsure of "how" much actual difference there was in 16g and 32g. You have cleared that up for me and I thank you for the time it took to reply.
S. Weber answered on July 30, 2010
Comment | 13 of 14 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Hi Alison,
If your husband is only using it for work and will not be using it for photos, music or films then I would get the 16GB as it will be adequate, unless you have thousands of dissertations to put on it LOL.

However even if your husband has the kindle and an ipod/iphone it's rather cumbersome to carry all of these items around with you at once. If you bought more GB then you can store more on it. At the end of the day your choice completely. All Ipads are the same speed but I'm not 100% sure about 2 weekly or limited 3g access, however if you just got the wifi Ipad there are hundreds of wifi hot spots throughout the UK and worldwide (? locations) where you can access the internet, I would save £100+ and do without.
TLC answered on April 13, 2012
Comment | 7 of 7 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
How many books can be stored on a 16 gb versus a 32 gb?

Cleo
Constance W. Leonhardi answered on July 28, 2010
Comment | 7 of 9 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Rikki, you can't add memory, but you do get 5g automatically on the Cloud and can purchase more space if need be. The down side of that is that if you have wifi, you will only have access to the Cloud when you are at a hotspot. If you opt for 3G, you'll always have access to it.

As for the 16G vs 32G debate, well it all depends on what you plan to use it for. I admit, I was torn, and ended up compromising. I bought refurbished and got the 32G which was the same price as the 16G new... which turned out to be a good thing. You see, with 16G you only get somewhere around 14G of actual space, and I've already used over 14G. I hadn't anticipated using the iPad as my music device, but it was just handier that way. If you plan to have zero music and zero videos, 16G would certainly suffice just for apps and streaming, which are currently taking up less than a tenth of the space on my ipad. But once you get into music, I'd definitely opt for the 32G, and if you are even considering storing videos, you might want even more.
goonius answered on January 5, 2012
Comment | 14 of 16 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Broke down and bought an IPAD for hubby for Christmas. I called the Apple CS before purchasing. Needed to know the memory difference between the 16-64 GB? So she simply explained that with ordinary music and fun type of usage the 16GB would do the trick. So, in order to surprise hubby...I downloaded his IPOD music and Podcasts. Wow...got a message that I did not have enough memory. So, of course I changed the setting on the IPOD to keep only the last 10 days of Podcasts. I say this to be able to ask...did I make an 700.00 error? I realize the larger GB has more memory, but this is scary. Is anyone out there with a 16GB that is totally unhappy? I had the IPAD engraved...so I own it. Now I wonder if I should have splurged and bought the 32 or 64? SOS to anyone who wants to offer their ideas or point of view
M. Castronova answered on December 17, 2010
Comment | 10 of 13 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
If you bought from The Apple Store you can return it. I just spoke to a salesman and he has taken back engraved ones.
Kathleen R. Follansbee answered on December 15, 2011
Comment | 7 of 8 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
It's a mystery why Apple couldn't answer that for you as Apple tells all retailers what to charge for all their stuff. They can't decide to take a slimmer margin and drop the price, nor can they raise the price and make a bit more. Apple gives a few pennies leeway for discount stores like WalMart and Sam's Club, but they do give themselves an advantage. The difference isn't a couple of hundred, though. More like $50. Best Buy stores have iPads at the same pricepoint as Apple Stores, as does BestBuy.com.

Apple also doesn't discount older products when new products come out, which is why last year's Macbook usually costs more and has fewer features and less power than this year's.
spookiewon answered on October 10, 2010
Comment | 7 of 10 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
So between the 16GB and 32GB, could you get by with a 16 for say 100 songs, 5 movies at a time, 3000 pictures and maybe 10 game apps?
KB answered on October 28, 2011
Comments (2) | 12 of 17 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   5   Next ›