AirPort Extreme 802.11n (5th Generation)
Used & New from: $59.99
what are the differences between airport extreme 5th gen and airport express?
asked by Wajid Hussein on December 19, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 answers
A
votes
Biggest differences are the number of Ethernet ports (Extreme has three and Express only has one), the Extreme has Gigabit Ethernet ports whereas the Express has a 100 Mbit Ethernet port, and I don't believe the Express supports sharing a hard drive over the network (only a printer) whereas I'm pretty certain the Extreme supports printer and USB disk sharing over the network.
Adam Van Pelt answered on December 19, 2012

A
vote
You'll find that in reading the reviews both are about the same.,except for range and speed. My old router was so inefficient. I wanted something that I wouldn't have to replace so soon. More and more things in my house are wi-fi and I wanted everything to work without turning something else off to operate something else. I opted for the Extreme for the range and results, what a difference it has made. LZ
LZ answered on December 19, 2012

A
votes
All the answers below /above. I understand from a network guy that it is also "smarter " than most other wireless hubs. When you have one slower devise the other hubs switch to all slower mode while the airport does whatever the devise speed its connected to does.
MM answered on December 20, 2012

A
votes
When the AirPort Express "joins" a wireless network, it does not provide any additional wireless coverage. In other words, it does not "boost" or "repeat" the wireless signal from the main router. It can be used for AirTunes or a remote printer only.

Your computer also "joins" a wireless network. But the computer, like the Express, only receives a wireless signal. It does not boost, or repeat, or extend the wireless signal.

While is is technically possible to configure the AirPort Extreme to "join" a wireless network, like the Express, it will not provide any additional wireless coverage.

There is no audio capability on the Extreme, so other than connecting a USB printer or hard drive.....it would not really be doing anything on the network if you configured it to "join".

In order to "extend" a wireless network and provide more wireless coverage using wireless only, the AirPorts must connect to another Apple router.

The workaround here, if you want the AirPort Extreme to provide more wireless coverage with a modem/router from another manufacturer.....is that the Extreme must be connected to the modem/router using an Ethernet connection....not wireless.
rumble answered on December 19, 2012

A
votes
When the AirPort Express "joins" a wireless network, it does not provide any additional wireless coverage. In other words, it does not "boost" or "repeat" the wireless signal from the main router. It can be used for AirTunes or a remote printer only.

Your computer also "joins" a wireless network. But the computer, like the Express, only receives a wireless signal. It does not boost, or repeat, or extend the wireless signal.

While is is technically possible to configure the AirPort Extreme to "join" a wireless network, like the Express, it will not provide any additional wireless coverage.

There is no audio capability on the Extreme, so other than connecting a USB printer or hard drive.....it would not really be doing anything on the network if you configured it to "join".

In order to "extend" a wireless network and provide more wireless coverage using wireless only, the AirPorts must connect to another Apple router.

The workaround here, if you want the AirPort Extreme to provide more wireless coverage with a modem/router from another manufacturer.....is that the Extreme must be connected to the modem/router using an Ethernet connection....not wireless.
rumble answered on December 19, 2012
‹ Previous   1   Next ›