Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
what are the differences between time capsule and airport extreme? which to buy?
[UPDATED] asked by Ali Thomas on December 21, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 answers
A
The Time Capsule has a built in HardDrive that can be used to automatically backup your Macs while you are on your home network. The Airport Extreme does not have this. If you dont have any Macs at home get the airport extreme. Older time capsules had issues with reliability, I've had one of these models since 8/2011 without any issues. DROBO is nice, but it's expensive. If you have unlimited funds, I'd recommend the drobo.
Z. Gelnett answered on December 22, 2012
Comment (1) | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Time Capsule is simply a AirPort Extreme with an internal hard drive. BUY THE AIRPORT. Time capsule is prone to crashing and losing your data. Trust me, it did it to me three times before I went out and bought a drobo with triple backup protection.
Bryan J McCallister answered on December 22, 2012
Comment (1) | 2 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Time capsule is not only a wireless router, but also a hard drive so it backs up your computers/laptop. If you want all your stuff backed up go with a time capsule otherwise stick with a AirPort Extreme. Let me know if you have any other questions hope this helps.
Porfie answered on December 22, 2012
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The time capsule has a built in hard drive allong with the Airport so its great for backing up your mac each day so if your hard drive crashes or you lose ur Mac you still have ur data. Great for sharing music and data files on multiple app devices, on top of that you get the feature s of the airport extreme. Better then a external hard drive cause u can connect to it wirelessly.
ThenTagIt answered on December 22, 2012
Comment (1) | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
There are benefits and cons to both. The biggest pro for the Time Capsule is of course the embedded HD. The reason I brought that up specifically is because my Airport Extreme has had issues connecting to my Seagate 3TB HD (STCA3000101). After determining that the USB cable was the problem it's been working fine ever since. The pro with the Airport Extreme is the ability to use different hard drives with increased capacity.
Phil A answered on December 22, 2012
Comment (1) | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
If you don't want Time Capsule's backup capability, Airport Extreme will do. I use Time Machine to back up to Time Capsule, which is why I went with that. I have never had a problem with Time Capsule. We have two, in fact, working in synch and running on the same network. Had to call Apple Support to get them working right, but their support is first-rate. Once they were set up properly we forgot them. They do their jobs quietly day in and day out.
George F. Smith answered on December 22, 2012
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Matt answered on December 22, 2012

A
The time capsule has an additional hard drive in it for network storage. The AirPort Extreme is only a router.
gadgetgirl answered on December 24, 2012
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product