Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Iron Maiden $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day
do these come with audio cables? I'm looking to get these but was wondering if they come with the audio cable or if I have buy that separately.
asked by Andres Ramirez on September 26, 2010
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 30 answers
A
Sorry, I know absolutely NOTHING about electronics and such, so this may be a stupid question, but does this mean that the wire cords that come with these speakers to plug into a received are the wire kind, with the little exposed wires on the end that you clip into the receiver? They're not like, the red and yellow audio input/output type plugs that would go into a tv or vcr? I'm just trying to be sure, because my receiver is an older Pioneer and only takes the exposed wire-clippy type of connections, not the newer red and yellow cable type.

Wow that sounds stupid..... any help would be appreciated.
D. Roberts answered on November 26, 2010
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Well, from what I understand from the response I was originally given, and from my own experience, these speakers come with audio wire that you could hook up into the speakers and to your receiver. Apparently the quality of the wires that comes with these is not very good, something I cannot attest to since I ended up not getting these. Maybe someone with hands-on experience can enlighten us?
Andres Ramirez answered on November 27, 2010
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Mr. Wellman is wrong. The wires Sony includes are perfectly fine.

Properly-made speaker wires don't sound better or worse, but thicker ones will work better over long distances (>50 feet).

Why you would want these little bookshelf speakers to be dozens of feet apart is beyond me, unless you are using them for background speakers in a store or restaurant. In that case, use good-quality zip cord from a hardware store or speaker wire from Radio Shack. Follow these guidelines:
Less than 80 feet: 16 gauge wire
80 to 200 feet: 14 gauge
>200 feet: 12 gauge

Mr. Wellman will probably reply with a lot of hokum about audiophile speaker wires that cost 10X more than these speakers, their "skin effects", impedance and the like, but the laws of physics say otherwise.

Sony's wires are adequate for short distances, zip cord for longer distances and lower-gauge wire for very long distances.
Pennywhistler answered on November 30, 2011

A
The SS-B3000 or 1000 will NOT work with out an amp or a receiver. The Logitech Z-2300 speakers that he got do have a powered sub-woofer and 2 powered book shelf speakers. They are made for computers but sound great and would also sound just as good on a TV if you could still find them. Last time I looked they were discontinued and some people wanted crazy money for them. The MSRP. IS $149.95 for this great sounding speaker set up.
Robert Silverman answered on September 16, 2012

A
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure if they brought audio wire or not and this cleared that up. I already knew that you need a receiver for these as these aren't 'plug and play' computer speakers, but thanks for being thorough. Actually, due to not having much space where I wanted to use these, I ended up getting the logitech z2300 2.1 speaker system for my tv which sounds excellent for my ears.
Andres Ramirez answered on November 6, 2010
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I have a 1970s stereo and the current speakers have jack type connectors, there is a place for connecting bare wire but it is labeled antenna. Can I use these with this system? Thanks.
Genius answered on November 30, 2010

A
Can you connect the sony speakers onto your blue ray player or tv without a receiver? Does the speakers have a wire where u can connect it to a jack on the tv or blue ray? (I am not tech savy and I don't even know if I am making sense right now but any information would help). I just need extra sound to play music, since my samsung tv has low sound quality. Also, I don't want to spend too much money on additional products.
S. Gupta answered on September 28, 2011

A
D Roberts to answer your question 99% of all speakers have a "clip type" connection or something compatable. Like the floor speakers made by sony connect by unscrewing/screwing a cylinder over a metal post the wire goes into. Some times a few stereos or theaters in a box will have proprietary type connections that make it hard to lengthen speaker wire or hook up new/better speakers. But pretty much any aftermarket (or better) speaker you buy will connect to the clip style connections.

ANd yes they come with thin cheap wire. It will work but if you want the best connection get some thicker wire.
Alex answered on October 5, 2011

A
Hi, D. Roberts.

Yes - this means the wires that have the exposed ends that connect the receiver to the speakers.

The colored ones have those plugs (called RCA plugs) that connect various pieces of line-level audio.

The 3-wire colored ones (white, red & yellow) connect to your TV and should be made specifically for that purpose, as audio cables may or may not be adequate.

NOTE: Where this becomes confusing is that some old stereo systems (such as Suzanne Coleman's) use RCA plugs to connect the amp to the speakers, though this is rare nowadays. If that is what you need, you can buy them from car stereo installers, Radio Shack and the like.

When in doubt, look at the labels on the back of the equipment or even (gasp!) read the directions.

A
Suzanne.

These speakers take bare wire. You can get RCA-to-bare-wire cables from Radio Shack, automobile stereo installers, and (most likely) Wal-Mart.

Do not connect antenna wire from an amp to a speaker.
‹ Previous   1   2   3   Next ›

See all questions about this product